DJMayes' Complete Ranking Of Maiden Songs

Which song will win?

• Run To The Hills

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Empire Of The Clouds

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While I do like the lyrics in The Final Frontier (with the The Apparition connection), there is this:

Caught Somewhere in Time
Caught Somewhere in Time
Caught Somewhere in Time oh oh
Caught Somewhere in Time
Caught Somewhere in Time
Caught Somewhere in Time oh oh

+ strength of music during chorus (check those patterns Adrian is weaving with his rhythm guitar)
+ fantastic instrumental parts (harmony in beginning without rhythm, then Nicko comes in, then fast part with harmony, after chorus instrumental part, solo 1, solo 2, harmony)
= a great song

The Final Frontier
The Final Frontier
The Final Frontier
The Final Frontier

+ meh instrumental parts (which ones? just full of vocals and two solos)
= a relatively meh song with over simplistic chorus

I have nothing against Maiden's shorter songs. Man of Sorrows, The Alchemist, The Fallen Angel, Speed of Light. All amazing songs that I'd give high ratings.

TFF is the only song I'd find very questionable still in. Then again, I fanboy over Out Of The Silent Planet and The Edge Of Darkness, which are considered just OK for Maiden standards here.

Also, Shadows Of The Valley <3.

You're clutching at straws. It's nothing like a top ten track.

@mckindog is not clutching at straws. I'll have plenty to say about it when I get round to the song but I think it's a fantastic song in studio and especially live. I enjoy the Satellite 15 section, think the main part is a great rocker and pretty much ignore criticisms of the chorus as their problem with repetition only seems to surface when it's on a song people don't like anyway.

I imagine you're more interested in songs with more complex instrumental parts based on your posts (and the fact you're on this forum) and that's fine. But me? I'm not musically inclined. When I think of "good music" I'll always gravitate towards something I think is good to listen to rather than something that is impressive from a musical standpoint, because I'm a listener, not a player.

At the risk of spoilers I'd recommend taking this post as a trigger warning, however. ;)

I imagine you're more interested in songs with more complex instrumental parts...
No, I'm more interested in interesting instrumental parts.
I'll always gravitate towards something I think is good to listen to rather than something that is impressive from a musical standpoint, because I'm a listener, not a player.
I tend to gravitate to music with both. They're not mutually exclusive.
At the risk of spoilers I'd recommend taking this post as a trigger warning, however. ;)
I don't know what that means.

No, I'm more interested in interesting instrumental parts.

I tend to gravitate to music with both. They're not mutually exclusive.

I don't know what that means.

"interesting" instrumental parts is subjective. I think The Final Frontier has some great instrumental parts. What makes an instrumental part interesting to you?

They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but to some people they seem to be. I've had musician friends who aren't interested in songs they don't think would be interesting to play.

As for the final bit...

It means that The Final Frontier is in my top 10.

It is "Interesting" that the band attached that tedious bunch of noise to the beginning of the song. There, " interesting".

Back