Dislike the Artist, but Like the Song

Disturbed - Stricken
Creed - Say I
Saliva - Always
Limp Bizkit - My Way

As you can tell, I dislike Nu Metal, but most popular bands have a very good song to their name.

Slayer - Raining Blood. My thoughts on Slayer have gone from "well they're ok" to "kill me. I hate these guys" over the past 2 years or so. This song however is a heavy metal masterpiece. This band called Havok actually did a cover of this song and Postmortem that pretty much dethrones the original.

Slayer - Raining Blood. My thoughts on Slayer have gone from "well they're ok" to "kill me. I hate these guys" over the past 2 years or so. This song however is a heavy metal masterpiece. This band called Havok actually did a cover of this song and Postmortem that pretty much dethrones the original.

Blasphemy!

Slayer doesn't qualify for this for me but it's close. I only like Angel of Death, Raining Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, South of Heaven and Black Magic from them.

Ghost - Ritual, Stand By Him
They are still fucking overrated, but these songs are too damn catchy...
Ghost surprised me a bit at Sonisphere, I was expecting a novelty stage act only, but they weren't bad to listen to at all.

And just remembered there's one Oasis song I don't dislike intensely - Supersonic.

I think it's part image, hype and fanbase as much as anything, and the fact they were played ad nauseum when I was at college, but yeah, I find their songs incredibly samey, both music and lyrics, as if they just keep repeating a formula. And not a formula I like very much.

That makes sense. I wasn't a fan during their hey-day, so I guess I was never affected by the hype. I tend to like their more experimental albums (i.e. the ones most Oasis fans dislike) and later material more because the sameness wore off. The first two albums, especially Definitely Maybe, are incredibly samey.

I'm curious for those who dislike Oasis - do you dislike the songwriting, the style, or the vocals?
The vocals. The style is too derivative of the Beatles, but I could live with that. Plus, every artist I like is derivative of the Beatles in some way, that's how influential they are. The songwriting is okay, sometimes very good, which typically is the most important, but the vocals are so awful that they trump.

The vocals. The style is too derivative of the Beatles, but I could live with that. Plus, every artist I like is derivative of the Beatles in some way, that's how influential they are. The songwriting is okay, sometimes very good, which typically is the most important, but the vocals are so awful that they trump.

If you like the songwriting, and don't mind the Beatles worship, I highly suggest listening to some of the many Oasis songs sung by Noel (the chief songwriter). His brother Liam has an incredibly annoying voice, but it works for a lot of their material, IMO. Noel's voice, however, is more pleasant, rich, and emotional. For a comparison, Liam sings the verses in the following song, Noel sings the choruses. The difference is night and day:

Here's some other Noel-fronted recommendations:

After the band broke up, Noel released an album called High Flying Birds and it's quite fantastic.

I'm not going to turn into a Disturbed fan any time soon, but I've just heard their cover of "The Sound of Silence" and it surprised me by being really rather good.

I also recently heard this for the first time and thought it sounded phoney but then I looked up some live clips (I think there’s one on a late night show) and it was surprisingly great.

Breaking Benjamin - Diary of Jane
I've never liked any of their other music. This song is good. I don't like Dream Theaters cover of this song though. (*cough* Paralyzed *cough*)

Dillinger Escape Plan - Symptom of Terminal Illness

Can't get into them. The early albums are just complex for the sake of being complex.

Def Leppard - Rock of Ages
I don't like any of their music.
Then you just entitled your opinion.

5FDP - The Wrong Side of Heaven
Obvious reasons. That music video they did for this song is actually amazing. This song also actually has emotion.

Uriah Heep - Stealin'
Actually enjoyed them opening for Priest. Way better opener than The Raven Age! When I tried to go back and listen to their music, It wasn't really my style sadly. Stealin' is quite good though.

I would also agree with Stranglehold.

Uriah Heep - Stealin'
Actually enjoyed them opening for Priest. Way better opener than The Raven Age! When I tried to go back and listen to their music, It wasn't really my style sadly. Stealin' is quite good though.
Have you heard "Easy Livin'" or "July Morning", though? Those two rule.

Back