Disc 1 vs Disc 2 (yeah, Travis is going to kill me)

Disc 1 vs Disc 2

• Disc 1

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Disc 2

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters
Disc 1.

The second disc is amazing, but still feels like the second half of something. If you got rid of disc two, god forbid, disc one would still sound like a complete album.

Exactly. Disc 1 has If Eternity Should Fail (the opener), Speed of Light (the quick one), The Great Unknown (the weird one), The Red and the Black (the epic), When the River Runs Deep (the melodic, kind-of-filler one) and The Book of Souls (the title one). And IESF, TGU, WTRRD and TBOS are incredible.

Disc 2 has Shadows of the Valley and Empire of the Clouds.

Both of the 2 end with 3 10/10's for me. I'm thinking disc 1, though my favorite song is on disc 2.. I'm mainly picking disc 1 because it has 6 songs compared to 5 songs lol both of them are great. My favorite vinyl of the 3 happens to be the last 1 though, 3 10/10's.. :)

Wow did not expect such a dramatic landslide in the voting :O

I voted Disc 1 but I could very well go for Disc 2 before long. The only song that hasn't clicked with me yet is Shadows of the Valley, but I've grown to love Death or Glory. The final three song run is mind blowing, all three songs are pretty unique sounding for Maiden and among the best on the album. Tears and Man of Sorrows are the best shorter songs they've done in years. Death Or Glory is up there too for a classic sounding Maiden track.

Disc 1 is still good but the only song on there that stands up to the last three on disc 2 as of now is If Eternity Should Fail.

Disc 1: 5 Good songs
Disc 2: 4 Good songs.

I still don't like WTRRD or DoG. Empire is still one of my favorite maiden songs, but the title track and TRATB are just amazing. So I voted for 1

Man of sorrows is the only song that's not clicking for me on the album (but then again, it took like three years for me to fall in love with the man who would be king, so I'm sure it'll get there...) so I still stand by disc one for that simple reason.

After much listening....Disc 1. I do find it has a different character to the second disc, and I can only think there was a very conscious decision to group these songs together. To me, Disc 1 sounds darker, more powerful, purposeful. Disc 2 has an energetic start to it, and an epic ending, but I feel it's more of a mixed bag overall. That said, I don't find any of the Disc 2 songs particularly weak, even if I listen to Man of Sorrows less than the others.

Of course I'm always going to be prejudiced about the distinction between Disc 1 and Disc 2 - my first listening experience involved a 15 minute interval, with food, beer, and a chat with several other Maiden fans, before settling down to listen to Disc 2. But I still find more overall character or identity about Disc 1.

After much listening....Disc 1. I do find it has a different character to the second disc, and I can only think there was a very conscious decision to group these songs together. To me, Disc 1 sounds darker, more powerful, purposeful. Disc 2 has an energetic start to it, and an epic ending, but I feel it's more of a mixed bag overall.
Same, but swap the discs each time :D

Not that it matters because it is on random play on my music player, but Disk one is by far the better disk. I don't care much for DOG, TMOS, TOTC which is three out of the five songs. Empire of the Clouds, although very interesting and enjoyable, doesn't really have the feel or energy I'm looking for in an IM album. So that only leaves Shadows of the Valley to save that disk.

Back