Did Bruce take inspiration for the Powerslave melody from Ritchie Blackmore?

I hear in the beginning of "If eternity should fail" inspiration from "Gates of Babylon", "Egypt (the chains are on)" by Dio and "The Assassin" by Marillion.

I hear in the beginning of "If eternity should fail" inspiration from "Gates of Babylon", "Egypt (the chains are on)" by Dio and "The Assassin" by Marillion.
You're right, I also hear a bit of possible inspiration from Dio's "Egypt (The Chains Are on)" in "If Eternity Should Fail."

While we're at it, let's discuss the nod to Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" just before the "one after one by the star-dogged moon" section of Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Stolen music AND lyrics!!
I'm a BÖC fan (and I know Steve loves some of their record), and I absolutely fail to notice the "nod" you mentionned. As for the lyrics, the matter has already been answered. They are not stollen, as they openly intend to "cover" a very famous poetry, explicity mentionned. More generally, Steve used to borrow entire phrases from books and movies: just listen to Edge of Darkness and Alexander the Great ("He paved the way for christianity" are certainly not his words). It is not a theft, it's unability to transform the other's words into something personal. Things have changed since.

I'm a BÖC fan (and I know Steve loves some of their record), and I absolutely fail to notice the "nod" you mentionned. As for the lyrics, the matter has already been answered. They are not stollen, as they openly intend to "cover" a very famous poetry, explicity mentionned. More generally, Steve used to borrow entire phrases from books and movies: just listen to Edge of Darkness and Alexander the Great ("He paved the way for christianity" are certainly not his words). It is not a theft, it's unability to transform the other's words into something personal. Things have changed since.
Exactly, he was summarizing the words to the stories and histories in songs like "Alexander The Great" and "Paschendale." Adrian once said "that the lyrics wrote themselves" or something like that when they wrote "Paschendale." Yes, Steve borrowed phrases too but he also summarized them.

I think maybe he means the mad middle section of DFTR, the first few notes of that section sound slightly like the bass notes in that mid section of Rime

I think maybe he means the mad middle section of DFTR, the first few notes of that section sound slightly like the bass notes in that mid section of Rime
"Slightly" is the word. Anyway, thanks for the precision.

Back