DiAnno being a twat again?

Onhell said:
So you were there when he was a child? I don't know many children that swear anyway, and if they do, they are not the brightest crayon in the box.
So you dont know many children who swear? thats a bit naive, maybe a child does not swear in front of his parents, i never swore in front of my parents! But i swear always have done since i started school (and i'm not proud of it) But if you can find a school even as young as nursery school where children dont swear then you've had a very sheltered life.

What is your definition of "a child"? Because you are right, I've heard swearing since I entered elementary at age 6, but it wasn't common place and I never used it until probably age 10-11. That is no longer "a child" but a "pre-teen" or simply a young boy/girl.

I was swearing on a regular basis (though not in front of adults) by the age of 8. You know that list of the seven fatal words from George Carlin? The list I quoted above? I was taught that list at age 7 by my teenage babysitter.

However, it would be humorous to know exactly how I was using those 7 words at age 8. I may have been speaking them, but I had little idea of what they meant ... except for 'shit'. That's the only one I had personal experience with at age 8.

First of all, for all those who subscribed to "Perun's Daily Cultural Reference", there is an entire people (of about 72,000 individuals) who like to call themselves 'bastards'. They live in Namibia and originated as a mix people between Boer settlers and Khoisan natives. Namibian officials register them as "Rehoboth Basters" (Rehoboth being the defining town in the region they live in). Although originally, the term "basters" or "bastards" (along with the term "coloureds") was meant as a derogatory description, they now like to describe themselves with that term and are actually registered by that name at their own request.

This was "Perun's Daily Cultural Reference". Subscriptions are available at €5/Month or alternately the sale of your soul for scientific research (worth 12 monthly fees). Subscribers do not see this message.

-----

Next, to the subject of children swearing, I do believe there has been an increase in that ever since I was a kid. I remember occasionally swearing to be cool, but "fucker" was the absolute maximum, and the limit of what I and my peers would dare to pronounce- actually, it was even the limit of what we knew.
Two years ago (has it really been that long already?), I was doing educational work with schoolchildren at the age of 8 to 12. I was shocked at the kind of language they used with their peers, and actually, they used words I hadn't even heard before I was about 15 or 16, and which I never use or used. To give you a vague idea (trying to translate them is pointless), they were of highly sexual and racist nature. I have no idea where they pick this sort of speech up, but it has become very widespread. This is combined with a significant lack of respect towards elders (again, saying and doing things I'd never have dared in that age).

Perun said:
(again, saying and doing things I'd never have dared in that age).
Per, welcome to Getting Old....  :p

Raising kids is a 24/7 job, as all parents know. Even if you manage to keep them from swearing, by not swearing in front of them (or at all ::)), they will pick it up at kindergarten or school. Then, all you can do is keep explaining. But the point is what Perun said: the thing that we have to keep kids from is not necessarily swearing itself, but disrespecting others.

Two five-year-old girls were talking.
"Last night, Dad told this motherfucking GREAT MUSICIAN to get his shit of our lawn", said the first.
The other girl's eyes widened in surprise.
"What's a lawn?" she asked.

If we swear enough many words will simply be drained of their offensive meaning, and replaced with new words. That's why campaigns to replace "offensive" words with "non-offensive" words (like this) are useless - it's the concept of the word, not the word itself, that's important.

I'm not saying you should swear excessively, and while I'm not yet old enough to be amazed by the offensive language used by kids I do think disrespectfulness is a problem. All I'm saying is that there's no real point in trying to surpress certain words, because people will always have a word for it anyway.

Shadow said:
...it's the concept of the word, not the word itself, that's important.

That was a part of Carlin's seven dirty words routine. He compared the words 'fuck' and 'kill', and suggested that the meaning of 'kill' was the more obscene of the two. He even suggested re-dubbing the dialogue in all movies to replace any occurence of the word 'kill' with the word 'fuck', and offered an example of what a Western movie might then sound like:
"We're gonna fuck ya now, Sherriff ... but we're gonna fuck ya slow."

SinisterMinisterX said:
I had little idea of what they meant ... except for 'shit'. That's the only one I had personal experience with at age 8.
You never "pissed" until you were older than 8? :blink:

Paul Diannio sounds like a disturbed man. Has he been in prison? It's a shame when people start drinking and stuff.

It's just better to be angry alone.

Helloween.

I don't what to think of that article to be honest. As some of you know, I'm quite close to Paul and his german backing band, and as far as I know all the dates in India were cancelled!
This could very well be fake news... I'll investigate

Maidenfreak said:
I don't what to think of that article to be honest. As some of you know, I'm quite close to Paul and his german backing band, and as far as I know all the dates in India were cancelled!
This could very well be fake news... I'll investigate

You should invesitigate this. It would be a shame to find out that a member of the band was behind these rumours.

This is not good.

Lorax said:
You should invesitigate this. It would be a shame to find out that a member of the band was behind these rumours.

This is not good.

Extremely doubtful.  And I mean extremely.  The band have never really shown any bitterness towards Paul, nor have they shown any friendship.  He left Maiden over 20 years ago, so why should they worry about what he gest up to?  I think it far more likely that these rumours would be spread by someone in India, most probably the press.  Let's face it, they are the most likely culprits in any sensational rumour-mongering.

Indeed, Maiden have shown a lot of support for Paul over the years going as far as to promote his latest releases on the official Maiden site. They haven't done that for Blaze since he left Sanctuary

Back