DiAnno being a twat again?

So if understand the article. Paul used the f-word a lot in that concert and people were offended. Considering that Paul is playing heavy metal and not classic music I think people are clearly exaggerating.

Perhaps, but is it necessary? I thought REAL metal - the kind of metal Maiden invented and DiAnno is now recognised around the world for - was about the music, not about how many times you can tell the crowd theyre fucking wankers. How many Maiden songs do you know with a swear word in them?

Including B-Sides?  :innocent:  No,  really,  the fact that Maiden don't swear in their songs (the albums that is  :p) is one of the things that take them on a higher level compared to other bands.

I know the BSides are a bit different because they're a bit of a joke and can hardly be classified as "metal". Bruce is also guilty of swearing excessively at gigs (Rock in Rio springs to mind) and I would and have said exactly the same about him

Wasnt this something like a christian musicfestival. And doesnt mr Dianno have a "God=Sucker" tattoo on his head? That and all the cursing maybe made things go out of hand :innocent:

Real World said:
Perhaps, but is it necessary? I thought REAL metal - the kind of metal Maiden invented and DiAnno is now recognised around the world for - was about the music, not about how many times you can tell the crowd theyre fucking wankers. How many Maiden songs do you know with a swear word in them?
I don't know any. But I'm also not sure about that Maiden inventing metal part, nor do I think that when you don't curse in music you can't swear during your performance.
Most metal bands I know are a litte rebelious or outsiders who are not afraid so thow some swearing into their live rants, even the classic bands. For example, Ozzy Osbourne swears a lot live but I've never heard anyone complain about that because it's something you can expect.

That you would judge Bruce as hard Paul is strange. The only difference between them in this article is that thing got out of hand with Paul because of the crowd reaction. But that doesn't make his behave necessarily worse. So if Paul doesn't show class than neither does Bruce!

He didn't say Maiden invented metal, he said "the kind of metal" they invented. Honestly, what other band even remotely sounds like maiden? They have influenced a few bands but aside from Tierra Santa who in their last album no longer sound like the maiden-clone of their earlier outings, I haven't heard another band like them. They really are unique

Onhell said:
I haven't heard another band like them. They really are unique
Grim Reaper are just Iron Maiden clones.  Helloween sound somewhat similar to Maiden also.

As for Di'Anno, it looks like he's done a Conor this time.

Conor said:
Grim Reaper are just Iron Maiden clones.  Helloween sound somewhat similar to Maiden also.

Helloween?  Nah.  Kiske has a much thinner tone than Bruce, and their music may be influenced by Maiden, but so has nearly every power metal band.

Conor said:
As for Di'Anno, it looks like he's done a Conor this time.

Someone get this in their sig, now!  :lol:

Onhell said:
He didn't say Maiden invented metal, he said "the kind of metal" they invented. Honestly, what other band even remotely sounds like maiden? They have influenced a few bands but aside from Tierra Santa who in their last album no longer sound like the maiden-clone of their earlier outings, I haven't heard another band like them. They really are unique

Being unique in sound doesn't mean you have invented a complete new metal genre. Maiden is (NWOB)HM and not the first band in that genre.
I reckon the Maiden sound in some Thin Lizzy songs. As for followers a lot new bands sound like them, and of course they do, Maiden is one of the most popular and influential metal bands out there.

(although this a little bit offtopic)

Real World said:
How many Maiden songs do you know with a swear word in them?

Only one comes to mind off the top of my head: "Holy Smoke".
I still smell cleaner that the shit you're in

About the typo (that instead of than):
I copied that lyric from the Commentary. Blame Maverick. :bigsmile:

SinisterMinisterX said:
Only one comes to mind off the top of my head: "Holy Smoke".
I still smell cleaner that the shit you're in

About the typo (that instead of than):
I copied that lyric from the Commentary. Blame Maverick. :bigsmile:

What about Fear is the Key?

'You're outnumbered by the bastards 'till the day you die'

Not sure if that's the exact phrasing...I haven't listened to the song for ages.  Does bastard count as a swear word, or are we all too grown up to do that? :p

Djaser said:
Being unique in sound doesn't mean you have invented a complete new metal genre. Maiden is (NWOB)HM and not the first band in that genre.
I reckon the Maiden sound in some Thin Lizzy songs. As for followers a lot new bands sound like them, and of course they do, Maiden is one of the most popular and influential metal bands out there.

(although this a little bit offtopic)

things go off topic all the time, but yeah, you're right, I misinterpreted the orginal message. As for influence, I hear many more Helloween clones than maiden clones, yet I do hear bands with maidenesque elements (Sonata Aritca's Fullmoon has the "galloping" bass, but none of their other songs do).

Raven said:
Does bastard count as a swear word, or are we all too grown up to do that?

Debatable. "Bastard" has a non-vulgar meaning (a child born out of wedlock). However, this usage of the word does not reflect that meaning. It is certainly perjorative, but vulgar? I don't know.

I refer to the George Carlin's well-known list of seven words you can't say on television:
Shit, fuck, piss, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits.

Nope, bastard isn't there. In my opinion, it doesn't count. But that's just my opinion.

P.S. to newbies: It's not really "great musician". There are a few words you can't say on this forum, either. Cunt is one of them.

P.P.S. to admins: I liked it better when the substitution for the forbidden word came out in all caps i.e. "GREAT MUSICIAN". For one thing, it confirmed that you were seeing a substitution for the forbidden word. Secondly, ALL-CAPS IS ACTUALLY FUNNY SOMETIMES.

P.P.P.S. to everyone: But only sometimes. Don't try this at home.

SinisterMinisterX said:
P.P.S. to admins: I liked it better when the substitution for the forbidden word came out in all caps i.e. "GREAT MUSICIAN". For one thing, it confirmed that you were seeing a substitution for the forbidden word. Secondly, ALL-CAPS IS ACTUALLY FUNNY SOMETIMES.

Have it your way ;)

SinisterMinisterX said:
Debatable. "Bastard" has a non-vulgar meaning (a child born out of wedlock). However, this usage of the word does not reflect that meaning. It is certainly perjorative, but vulgar? I don't know.

It is vulgar as the proper word for a child (boy or girl) born out of wedlock is "illegitimate". "Bastard" for boys and "bitch" for girls is in fact a vulgar expression.

To be noted that the only reason it has lost it's sting is because there are SO MANY children born out of wedlock now-a-days nobody cares any more.

No i dont think he is being a twat, Di'Anno is speaking the way he does and always has done since he was a child so he is basically being himself, and all of the Maiden members speak this way but are more PC than Di'Anno. When Paul was in the band he did not speak like this on stage and that was because he was doing the Maiden cause good (and probably warned by the management) not to speak that way. But if you look at bands like Guns N Roses at the time of their success they swore before during and after songs and didnt get slated, cos they were known as GNR, but how can people say that Di'Anno is dragging the name of Maiden through the mud cos of this, As you all know he left the band 25 years ago and barely anyone apart from Maiden fans associate paul with Maiden anymore anyway, he is merely a spin off, and as for swear words in a Maiden song there are not many, But Bruce is known to give off many a swear word during gigs!

Milesy said:
No i dont think he is being a twat, Di'Anno is speaking the way he does and always has done since he was a child so he is basically being himself,

So you were there when he was a child? I don't know many children that swear anyway, and if they do, they are not the brightest crayon in the box.

Back