Derek Riggs 'Run for Cover' book and new 2019 Derek Riggs sketchbook

Lord of Wolves 78

Educated Fool
How many people here have Derek's rather very good 'Run for Cover' book? And what do they think of it? And does anybody have that new 2019 Derek Riggs sketchbook? I have both books myself. I think the new Sketchbook is excellent, although quite small. Derek's 'Run For Cover' book is, of course, great, but it's not without its negative criticisms. Some of the images like 'Women in Uniform, Purgatory, The Trooper, 2 Minutes to Midnight, The Evil That Men Do, The Clairvoyant and Can I Play With Madness are quite a bit low res. Also 'Somewhere in Time and Stranger in a Strange land' are quite dark. Another negative criticism is that some other images like 'Eddie in the denim jacket with the bullet belt, Piece of Mind Eddie in the graveyard, Somewhere on Tour, Christmas Somewhere in Time Eddie, Tailgunner, Hooks in You Eddie, Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter graveyard Eddie and some others are stamp-sized and way too small.

On the plus and positive side the remastered or redone versions of 'Running Free and Sanctuary' are simply amazing. The \Number of the Beast and 'Run to the Hills' are also incredible and without type. I also love the very rare mechanical grim Reaper Eddie from 1981 and the rare Uncle Same Eddie are awesome. Some other Eddie images are fantastic too, and very well reproduced, like 'Holy Smoke and 'Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter' without type as well. All the images I mentioned that are too small, I have in much higher res. Otherwise, it's a great book, but it's no replacement for having the original12-inch vinyls. The other Derek Riggs 2019 sketchbook is really excellent, and i don't know how that chap who put together got all those hi-res Eddie sketches and colour Eddie's, because when I seached for them all I could find was poor mediocre to very poor resolutions. So fair to him, and he did a great job for sure.

Back