Dennis Stratton

Dennis' band Lionheart are releasing an album early next year:

I didn't realize that Dennis had a career outside of being the guy who used to be in Iron Maiden.

Dennis' band Lionheart are releasing an album early next year:
It will actually be released on 31st July, called 'The Reality of Miracles'.

The band members are:

Dennis Stratton - former guitarist with IRON MAIDEN
Steve Mann - current guitarist and keyboardist with MICHAEL SCHENKER
Rocky Newton - former bass player and backing vocalist with MCAULEY SCHENKER GROUP
Clive Edwards - former drummer with UFO, WILD HORSES and ULI ROTH
Lee Small - former lead vocalist with SHY and PHENOMENA

I read an interview with Dennis Stratton in this months RockTribune magazine about the new Lionheart album.
He said one of the reasons why he had to leave Maiden was because he liked The Eagles. :oops:
He also didn't want to speak about Di'Anno so I guess the two didn't get along either.

wasn't there a short-lived Stratton project with Pete Willis (who was sacked from Def Leppard during the same time period?)
Willis did Gogmagog with Paul Di’anno, Janick Gers, Clive Burr, and Neil Murray from Whitesnake in 1985 — is that what you’re thinking of?

wasn't there a short-lived Stratton project with Pete Willis (who was sacked from Def Leppard during the same time period?)
Actually, Pete Willis was fired in July 1982 but in his case, it was because of alcohol-related problems.
Apart from Gogmagog (still kicking myself for losing the unreleased LP in a computer crash!), Pete Willis also played in a band named Roadhouse:

Last edited:
Actually, Pete Willis was fired in July 1982 but in his case, it was because of alcohol-related problems.
Apart from Gogmagog (still kicking myself for losing the unreleased LP in a computer crash!), Pete Willis also played in a band named Roadhouse:
I have a soft spot for this kind of smoothly produced wellcrafted melodic hardrock (or AOR)

I think Pete Willis wasn't as drunk as the rest of the band at that time.
I think the idea could be from the management to recruit maybe a better guitar player and a guy who had the standards of beauty that the management wanted to make a kind of semi naked Beatles of rock and sell millions and have groupies and reach to women…or maybe Pete Willis didn't want to be a blond guy.

New Dennis Stratton interview on radio show/podcast Heavy Metal Sewing Circle

"An unsung guitar hero, Dennis Stratton played alongside Dave Murray on the first Iron Maiden album. He brought guitar harmonies into the Maiden equation, and introduced the band to drummer Clive Burr.
My feature interview with Stratton about his bands RDB, Lionheart, Praying Mantis, and all things Maiden '79-'80 airs on tonight's Heavy Metal Sewïng Cïrcle radio show. Tune in 10pm PST on 91.1, 107.1, or online at XRAY. FM \m/"

Stratton.jpg

Listen: https://xray.fm/broadcasts/36049

The Dennis Stratton interview starts at about 15:20

Last edited:
I present to you: The creator of the harmony style guitars. :rolleyes:

But it was true. At least on the songs from that album.
It's true to the extent that he laid down harmony lines. Doesn't mean it wasn't a concept already decided upon. I have a really hard time believing Dennis popped in out of nowhere and fundamentally changed Steve's approach and vision of Maiden.

He makes it sound like it wasn't Steve's idea to have guitar harmonies in a first place. "they were a three piece" and shit like that.
Also he claims Thin Lizzy picked up harmonies from him.

"Hey Paul McCartney. Remember that time I wrote Yellow Submarine for you guys?" - Dennis Stratton.

It's true to the extent that he laid down harmony lines. Doesn't mean it wasn't a concept already decided upon. I have a really hard time believing Dennis popped in out of nowhere and fundamentally changed Steve's approach and vision of Maiden.
But it did change after he joined. I can imagine it is possible that he suggested additions, contributing to that vision.

I present to you: The creator of the harmony style guitars. :rolleyes:

“They never had a second guitarist” :lol: :lol:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nomination has gone to his head! :lol:

Back