Death on the Road re-release

Natalie

Insect of Terror
Staff member
I'm not sure if this topic belongs here, but since its about the tour...

Anyway, since Iron Maiden is releasing a Death on the Road DVD in the US I was wondering whether they will be re-releasing the DVD in Europe?

Death on the Road was never released in the States before the recall?  Where did you get this info (I'm not doubting, I just want to know, as the band hasn't announced anything regarding a re-release).

As for myself, I'd love a copy... I regret not getting one before it was recalled, even though it was faulty on one disc.

(Edit by Shadow: clicked "edit" instead of "quote" by accident, didn't touch anything)

Raven said:
Death on the Road was never released in the States before the recall?  Where did you get this info (I'm not doubting, I just want to know, as the band hasn't announced anything regarding a re-release).

No surprise there, then ;)

Natalie said:
I'm not sure if this topic belongs here, but since its about the tour...

Anyway, since Iron Maiden is releasing a Death on the Road DVD in the US I was wondering whether they will be re-releasing the DVD in Europe?

A few months ago shops in Holland suddenly had them again. I still don't know if this is the same version with the technical problems or a new version, without any problems. I didn't risk to buy it and I haven't heard anyone yet about a re-release (like it's a new product). Maiden is remarkably silent on the matter.

For some strange reason here in Austria they started having the Dance of Death DVD in stores. Is it worth getting?

Natalie said:
For some strange reason here in Austria they started having the Dance of Death DVD in stores. Is it worth getting?

That's exactly what I want to know. The content is definitely great. A lot of extras with various info !

There was only a problem with the image during a few songs of the concert (especially in Paschendale I hated it) in the 5.1 option, if my memory serves right. The other option (2.0) worked fine, but perfectionists like me returned the DVD and got their money back. Apperently it's now in the shops again (and in Austria for the first time you say (strange)?

What I want to know if this version has the same image problems or not.

Forostar said:
That's exactly what I want to know. The content is definitely great. A lot of extras with various info !

There was only a problem with the image during a few songs of the concert (especially in Paschendale I hated it) in the 5.1 option, if my memory serves right. The other option (2.0) worked fine, but perfectionists like me returned the DVD and got their money back. Apperently it's now in the shops again (and in Austria for the first time you say (strange)?

What I want to know if this version has the same image problems or not.

Hang on.  There was a problem with the 5.1 disc?  Bugger...I didn't bother buying it once I heard about the problems, and I would only play on a 2.0, anyway (I don't have Surround, as I just play it on my laptop).  Well, I can only presume that the DVD will be re-released at some point.  I'm willing to bide my time. :D

Wow,  it seems that I'm one of the few who have it.  The copy is faulty,  but it doesn't have too many problems to bother  :smartarse:

Am I one of the few to have this without (as far as I can tell) faults. When I play it, I don't see imaging problems and I don't have sound issues either. Was the initial faults to do with the hardware it was played on rather than the DVD itself?

Hold on a sec...the Dance of Death DVD can't possibly be the same as the Death on the Road DVD can it? Because it's the Dance of Death DVD they've started selling over here.  :blink:

OK, the Dance of Death DVD-a is worth getting if you have a system to listen to it on 5.1 - gor has already pointed out in another thread that the whispering on Journeyman is picked up easier here. It does have the promo vids of Wildest Dreams and Rainmaker but the booklet is the same as the CD version.

Otherwise, only get it if you are a collector (like myself).

Raven said:
Hang on.  There was a problem with the 5.1 disc?  Bugger...I didn't bother buying it once I heard about the problems, and I would only play on a 2.0, anyway (I don't have Surround, as I just play it on my laptop).  Well, I can only presume that the DVD will be re-released at some point.  I'm willing to bide my time. :D

There's a small chance that I'm mixing it up. Either the problems were with the 2.0 version, either with the 5.1 version. Unfortunately I can't check it anymore.

One other thing: Not ALL copies had these problems.

But keep in mind that things might have changed (without info from Maiden's side) and that all copies which are currently in the shops are perfectly well. Still I don't like to take this risk yet, since I haven't heard anyone's experience(s) on it.

All my posts in this topic are about the Death On The Road DVD

OK, trying again one year later, could someone tell me if the current version in the shops (in case you have checked a recent copy) is perfect? Both the 2.0 and 5.1 options of the concert are without problems?

In case people might wonder what I'm talking about, more than a year ago (maybe even two years or more) there was a problem with the image during a few songs of the concert (especially in Paschendale I hated it) in the 5.1 option, if my memory serves right. The other option (2.0) worked fine, but perfectionists like me returned the DVD and got their money back.

What I want to know if the current version has the same image problems or not.

Thanks in advance.  :ok:

Natalie, the "a" in DVD-A acronym stands for "audio".

It's much like the normal audio CD, but the 4.7GB capacity adds the option for 5.1 mixing. To have five channels on 80 minutes of audio coding, you'd need 1.75GB space. Normal audio cd has two channels and 700MB capacity.

I don't know if we can talk about the Death on the Road dvd and live album on this topic, but i take a chance:  :halo:

I just noticed that while the DVD version went number one on the UK charts, the Live album was only 22 on the charts: that's the second worst place ever by any Maiden album (the worst is still Live at Donington), and those two albums are the only ones of the entire Maiden discography to failed the top 20 (i didn't count the singles and the Ep's for this issue).

This position of DOTR is quite odd (the studio album was 2nd on the charts, Maiden's highest position since Fear of the Dark) , but if we look at the live  albuns  positions versus the DVD versions since the reunion this difference is there too:

RIR - Album ( UK charts - 15th) DVD (UKc - Number one)
DOTR - Album  (Ukc - 22th) DVD (UKc - Number one)
F666 - Album (Ukc - 15th) DVD (UKc - Number one)

The studio albums flies in the charts, so the DVD of the live versions, but not the live albums.  So, why is that ? why the market dislike the live album but run only to the DVD version ?

Are the live albums a thing of the past ? Maiden's last Live record with obvious sucess on the market  was A real live one, a 1993 release. All the future five live albums  failed to reach the UK top-10.

im confused.... i bought Death On The Road at Best Buy a few weeks ago and it looked fine. Someone care to explain the recall and rerelease etc.

I bought the dvd 'Death on the Road' back then. The stereo disc is faulty from mid-way through Brave New World to the end. It goes stuttery. I didn't know there was a recall.
I tried it on a number of dvd players to no avail, but on my ps3(blu-ray) it's almost okay. A little twitchy but certainly watchable.
The 5.1 disc plays fine.

Dance of Death on audio-dvd works fine although I no longer have the set-up for 5.1.

Back