Dealing with newbies

[!--QuoteBegin-infliction+Aug 19 2004, 04:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(infliction @ Aug 19 2004, 04:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I don't post much but I do visit often......
On this new team, I would certainly nominate SMX and Real World.
[snapback]83787[/snapback]​
[/quote]

i would certainly agree with that!
( no - not cuz i am biased [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--])

but hes been a mod on the pb forums and always knows what to say -where i would rather just tell them to feck off it they dont like it [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

definately the man for the job.

as for the rest.

well on pb - we have a load of utter tosspots around.
and because they are fans - they are treated with respect - even though - one , whose name will remain unmentioned, logged into his ex fiancees account, delted a post he didnt like, and read her private messages.
he got 1 warning and nothing more. - because he was a fan.

on blazefans- we can afford to be a little more harsh but not overly because we are connected with the official site.

on here - it is private as mentiond before.
there ARE too many people around using that number crap to post - and thinking it is funny.
and also ruining decent threads - as on pb - because they are simply too immature and lack the ability to type properly.
i will freely admit to often typing u instead of you.
but that is hardly the greatest crime- generally i post legible posts - and certainly dont post random crap - as do a lot of others.

i think the guys on maiden fans have the right to do as they see fit.
if people are going to leave - because they cant accept that on a discussion forum you are meant to discuss in a legible language ( whether it be french dutch english or anything eles) - then they are total idiots and should be lost.

in the real world - you wouldnt walk into a group and start sayinh 134556t523 lololololol so why do it here?

it is also a sad fact that there are a lot of people who lack respect and utterly refuse to abide to the rules. this is usually obvious from the first attempt at asking them to do so. inwhich case they need a good kick up the ass.

society seems to be failing to bring up its children with any respect these days - apparently rules dont apply to them - and this is clear even on the net.
if the parents wont deal with them - that is one thing... but on here - we should be able to sort out people - and perhaps teach them what their parents cant.

Ok - rant over [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Madgirl:

[img src=\'http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/positive8.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] Excellent pic, Mav !

Cheers

I promise to be good to the n00bs [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
*Look for someone with fewer posts than me*

"n00b" isn't a question of how many posts you have. It's a state of mind! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway, i feel rather n00bish [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Sep 13 2004, 09:40 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Sep 13 2004, 09:40 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]"n00b" isn't a question of how many posts you have. It's a state of mind!   [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]86494[/snapback]​
[/quote]

very true

Glad we agree! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Brelum+Sep 13 2004, 09:52 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Brelum @ Sep 13 2004, 09:52 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Anyway, i feel rather n00bish [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]86495[/snapback]​
[/quote]

No, I'd say your a newbie [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

i think being a newbie should go by how long you've been at these boards. if you're new, your a newbie. After a month or 2, then you arent anymore. thats how i look at it...

As I think I said earlier, while many new forum users do cause some issues, we get problems from forum regulars too. The moderating team just need to be tollerant over who they do what to and how. Don't want anyone being treated unfairly but then I dont want people feeling they don't know the rules either.

DAMN! Why wasn't I told about this thread??!!! I don't think I can add anything new or useful but I'll rant anyway [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Black Ace said the posters here were elitist... Somewhat. That is why I like this place, I think of it as a Maiden Think Tank. Yet at the same time there are over 2000 members yet I only see 20 (or less) regularly post inteligent, coherent posts CONSISTANTLY while the rest hang out in the madness forum. I don't think this place needs any type of policing. The crazy people will eventually find their home in the madness forum, some just come for the news and those interested in some pseudo-philosophical discussion will post along with the 20 others.... This is a very large BB. My first language is Spanish and I haven't stepped inside the international forum ONCE... just don't choose too. People should abide by the rules regardless of being a public or private board. As we all know there is nothing 'free' in this world. "Freedom" like in all democracies comes at the price of obeying their respective constitutions and it should be the same in this board. Therefore the Newbie Thread in maiden chat along with the Ten Comandments and the already existing monkey/mods should be enough. The e-mail or PM sent to new members is a great idea specially if it includes links to the threads mentioned above.

Back