Dave Murray

Nobby

Trooper
Do you think that davey was enjoyin' doin' shows with jan more then with H? cuz I was watchin' donington '92, and then some stuff from live after death and such, and there is a huge difference... on donington, davey runs around & basically acts like jan, also he's approach is more like when he started, more like rock n' roll improv... and with H it's like his frozen still, playin' exactly what he cut in the studio, almost no improv...

Now, I've watched both shows many times and just noticed this. nothing against H, I love H, but I like davey's attitude alot more since jan joined, and it's even better to have H back but have davey stay in his improv rock style...

what do you think?

[!--QuoteBegin-Nobby+Apr 12 2005, 03:08 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Nobby @ Apr 12 2005, 03:08 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]what do you think?
[snapback]101973[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I think that you've got too much time on your hands. Go out, chat up girls, get rat-arsed... get a life! [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Thnx m8, I do have a life, I do go out, chat more then enough girls... but just happens i'm home sick, and that leads to boredom which leads to analyze maiden shows... I just think davey is enjoyin' himself more on stage around the time jan joined and wanted to see what other people think...

I think that the 'Live after Death' show isn't a good example : They were very stressed out. The show was important and they knew that it was recorded and shooted for a very important release : their first live album !

And about 'Live at Donnington', once again, it's different : the show is important but they're here like at home (it was the second time). They didn't know that the show will become a live album in the future.

But it's sure that Janick has some influence : I've read an old interview, when Janick joined, where Nicko said that he prefers to play with Janick who has more energy than H.

Happen to have a link to that interview m8?

and I don't really believe that nervous thing... by 1985 maiden were on of the biggest bands in the world, and have long ago gotten over stage fright... and they have been officialy filmed before. besides davey just looked like that all the time around the time of the NotB up till when jan joined, I do believe davey's stage presence was influenced by jan.

[!--QuoteBegin-Nobby+Apr 13 2005, 01:44 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Nobby @ Apr 13 2005, 01:44 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Happen to have a link to that interview m8?
[snapback]102042[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I don't have a link because it's an old interview, in a time when paper ruled the earth. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

But if you are patient, I can find it and try to translate something.

About the fact that they where nervous during the recording, it's also something that I've read : it was Steve Harris which explained that he find the interpretation of the songs during 'Fear of the dark tour' better than on Live After Death because at Long Beach, only two shows were recorded and they didn't have the right to make a mistake.

I can also find this old interview and translate it (with the lengendary Lib's english quality ® ) if you are interested.

[!--QuoteBegin-Nobby+Apr 13 2005, 01:44 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Nobby @ Apr 13 2005, 01:44 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] m8?
[snapback]102042[/snapback]​
[/quote]

When a m8 meets another m8, does it become a m16 ? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

LoL, Yeah if you got time i'd love to see these interviews...

And the fact that davey was frozen still had nothin' to do with the recordings! '
it's just the way he was then.

Well... I think I've lost the Nicko's interview, but I remember well his words :

" Adrian was always playing the same fucking notes every nights !"

And here is what Steve said about Live After Death in April 1993 during the promotion of Bruce's departure. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

" For Live After Death, as I said, only two nights were recorded. That forced us to concentrate on the technical and instrumental quality and I think that the general atmosphere of those two gigs had suffered."

I don't think H's percise playin' is sumthin' bad, he composes beautiful solos and should play them as written.

Funny thing is when he improves, he also kinda plays the same thing every time [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ! but he still rocks, and we wub him [!--emo&:wub:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wub.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wub.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I don't like LAD. I think that even though they tryed to concentrate, Bruce's voice kinda slips sometimes. Anyway, I think Dave started moving when Jan joined because he figured it out that in comparrison to Jan he would look like a dead beat, so he just changed his style. You can see that alot on Raising Hell (wich BTW i like more than LAD)

Poor Bruce. His voice had been massacred by the World Slavery Tour. That's why I don't like LAD.

[!--QuoteBegin-Lib+Apr 13 2005, 12:27 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Lib @ Apr 13 2005, 12:27 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I think that the 'Live after Death' show isn't a good example : They were very stressed out. The show was important and they knew that it was recorded and shooted for a very important release : their first live album !

And about 'Live at Donnington', once again, it's different : the show is important but they're here like at home (it was the second time). They didn't know that the show will become a live album in the future.

But it's sure that Janick has some influence : I've read an old interview, when Janick joined, where Nicko said that he prefers to play with Janick who has more energy than H.
[snapback]102041[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Watch the Early Years DVD. Neither guitarist seems that energetic. It's just you add a showman like Jan and Hey presto something else to aspire to.

So aside from being the best guitar pairing in metal they now have an energetic extra guitarist who's influenced the great Davey to enjoy.

Anyway looking at H he's a real nice guy who's so chilled out. He'll outlive the others if nothing else.

There really is no point comparing old performances with more recent ones other than to marvel at how much the whole band has evolved and improved. I saw maiden twice in 2003 at Download and on the DOD tour and they were AWESOME. Yeah H is the laidback one while Dave and Jan tear arse around and chuck their guitars up in the air but the three now have developed a superb understanding

They are a great trio aren't they?
I thoght davey looked kind of energetic on the '81 rainbow show... maybe that's just me, also look at photos of him from the first two tours, that's pretty energetic i'd say...

[!--QuoteBegin-Nobby+Apr 20 2005, 02:29 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Nobby @ Apr 20 2005, 02:29 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]They are a great trio aren't they?
I thoght davey looked kind of energetic on the '81 rainbow show... maybe that's just me, also look at photos of him from the first two tours, that's pretty energetic i'd say...
[snapback]102545[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I agree, Dave does seem to be 'full of beans' in the Rainbow show. However, why shouldn't he be? Back in 81 they were all fit young lads in their 20's ready to take on the world. Comparing their stage manner than and now is a bit crazy as lets face it, they're all a bit older these days. Still I sort of agree that depending on the tour you can see differences in the stage presence of the guys. One the one hand I think that when Jan left, Dave became more relaxed on stage and moved around a bit more as the band at that time seemed to become a little looser. Not necissarily because H left, but they were doing the whole back to the roots thing with NPFTD etc. Also (I'll get crucified for this), technically Jan is the best player in Maiden. whether or not you like his style or solos, he has the most varied experience playing and his control of the instrument is incredible. Dave and H may have a more melodic solo style suited to the 'classic' maiden sound, but Jan is the man when it comes to playing. His introduction to the band meant Dave could ease off a bit more and had a player as good as if not better to support him and trade licks with. This meant he could devote a bit more energy to bouncing around the stage as he pleased.

An interesting footnote to all of this, I have noticed that since H and Bruce returned the guitar playing live has obviously become a lot more complex (three parts, not two now) and seeing several dates on each tour they have done since 99, have noticed the solos are almost identical every night now and the playing very regimented. I think this is because they are playing in a less-traditional and more complex system of 3 guitar parts songs and need to concentrate a little harder to nail it everynight (which they do splendidly).

Sorry go on and be a bit nerdish, but as a guitar player who hangs round with guitar players, this is the sort of think I think about (when I should be doing work).

Laters

Gaz

Back