Dave Murray – The Secret – The Young Ones

Baztac

Invader
Dave was fired from Maiden around July 1977 after he had a bust up with Dennis Wilcock.

He went on to audition for the band The Secret. The lead singer was called Mickey Modern and the bassist was called Benny Leopard (These were there stage names). Another guitarist called Chris Banks auditioned at this time.

Mickey and Benny couldn’t agree on who to hire so they took on both guitarists. Dave was then known as Reggie Mental and Chris became Shrink. The drummer was called Percy Cute.

They recorded a demo called Café De Dance but it was never released as a single. According to Mickey Modern Dave played on their single of the cover version of Cliff Richards “The Young Ones” and also featured on the b’side “Handel a Vandal”

One day Dave failed to turn up for a rehearsal and the band went round to his house to find he was out. Dave then owned up to thinking about joining another band. Mickey and Chris remember it being Maiden but I think it would have been Urchin as this would have been around October 1977 and Dave never re-joined Maiden till April 1978. The band were supportive of his decision and remember going to see Dave in his new band at the Rock Garden.

After Dave’s departure, Arista Records released the single in October 1977. Dave had been part of the photo-shoot for the photos that were used on the singles sleeve but had been cut out because he had left. According to Mickey “the original photos of the first Secret with Dave looking like a fish out of water. He was so rock and roll, and we were opportunistic barrow boys trying to look punk”

secret+,the.+1977.7%27%27.+the+young+ones.+front.jpg

The Young Ones
secret+,the.+1977.7%27%27.+the+young+ones.+back.jpg

Handel A Vandal

secret.+7%27%27.1977.young+ones.+02.JPG

At the time Baztac told me that, I immediately bought The Young Ones vinyl to have a listen. Information is everything...

Back