Darkest Hour

How good is Darkest Hour on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
..beautifully written lyrics.

Very beautifully written. I'm particularly fond of the first two stanzas:

We buried our sons
We turned and fled

No growing old
The glorious dead
But we came back
Because one man said
Now on the beaches
The blood runs red

I faced them down
The only one
I stood alone
And warned the day would come

But they were wrong
Appeases every one
And not for the last time
We all stand alone

I have reached the conclusion that this song is the bastard child of Bruce Dickinson’s “Eternal” and Dokken’s “Alone Again”. Prove me wrong.

A bit of a grower for me, Bruce's voice sounds buried at the beginning but it gets better as it goes on. It's a nice ballad with a lovely solo from Adrian and probably the best demonstration of Bruce's more emotionally expressive side of singing from songs like Revelations, Out of the Shadows, Wasting Love, Coming Home, Children of the Damned, etc.

I think I identified my problem with this song: It doesn't get to a climax in the chorus. It builds a crescendo from the verses to the chorus, but at the point when Bruce sings "You've sown the wind and now you reap the whirlwind", he should be getting to a peak like he does in most other ballads (e.g. Tears of the Dragon, Out of the Shadows), but instead he mellows down again. The song loses a lot of potential impact this way, IMHO.

Hello, fellas. Been over a decade since I posted here, I believe! Glad to see you're all still going strong.

My question today is very simple. The official lyrics (on the booklet) say the following:

Here I stand in a serenade of glory
[...]

But no matter how many times I play this song, this is what I hear:

Here I sit in a serenade of glory
[...]

Am I crazy? Does Bruce sing stand or sit? This is an extremely important matter, of course! :D

Cheers!

Reactions: Gk1
Hello, fellas. Been over a decade since I posted here, I believe! Glad to see you're all still going strong.

My question today is very simple. The official lyrics (on the booklet) say the following:

But no matter how many times I play this song, this is what I hear:

Am I crazy? Does Bruce sing stand or sit? This is an extremely important matter, of course! :D

Cheers!

He says here I sit! The even more important thing is WHY THE HELL IS HE NAKED?? On the other hand-and apologies if it was already discussed- what is that sound on 0:15??

Back