Dark Tranquillity concert (2008)

Invader

Ancient Mariner
Holy shit...

That's pretty much how I feel right now; it's 1 A.M. on Monday and just an hour ago Dark Tranquillity stopped playing. They had their very own Finnish tour of five gigs, with Omnium Gatherum opening in Helsinki.

Not much to say about OG, to be honest; they seemed ok, but nothing special. Pretty much your generic melodeath band. The audience wasn't too keen on them, and I thought they would be as lame for Dark Tranquillity. Boy how wrong I was...

It was probably the best musical feeling I have ever had when DT entered. The keyboard intro to Terminus (Where Death is Most Alive) started, the blood started pumping fast, the audience went completely crazy, and then the main riff started. I was very fortunate to be so far front; I was only about a meter from the barrier, and could see the whole band perfectly. The front was where the real action was, and I was 110% part of it. I managed to exhaust myself with the first song (Terminus), screaming my voice hoarse and tiring my arms by keeping them in the air for the whole song, but it was worth it. That's a memory that will stay in my mind forever, if there's something from my youth that I will remember when I'm older.
(by the way, I haven't been to a Maiden gig yet, so I can't even imagine what it will be like hearing the opening of Powerslave...)

I was also pleasantly surprised that the doorman didn't ask me for IDs when I entered. Tavastia is a club, and thus K18, and I only turned 18 just some days ago; I would have expected him to ask me, but instead I got in with no problems.

The setlist was great; here's what I remember of it (not in order):
Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive)
Blind at Heart
The Treason Wall
The Wonders at Your Feet
Hedon
My Negation
Final Resistance
Damage Done
The Lesser Faith
Icipher
Inside the Particle Storm
Misery's Crown
Focus Shift
Punish My Heaven
and some others I can't remember.

The audience was crazy throughout the concert; they just didn't seem to tire. Stanne said many times that we were an amazing audience, and I must say I agreed with him 100%. Stanne was also a great frontman; he talked something between pretty much every song (and had a sip of beer usually too!).  And a lot of smart stuff too, if you ask me.  I wouldn't agree with Dave Mustaine who said that "people who go to concerts and talk a lot waste your fucking time;" he certainly did not.  Oh, and I forgot to mention that he jumped in the audience a couple of times; great fun!

My only annoyance was that, even though I took my proper camera (instead of my phone's), I still ended up with crappy videos. The video quality is pretty good, but you can't make out anything of the sound.

But overall, a fantastic concert. I'm quite convinced that it's the best I've been to yet (out of 3  :p ); there were really no faults. My place was perfect, the sound was perfect, the setlist was perfect (they played almost all of their newest album!)... Absolutely no complaints.

Back