Dance of Death

How good is Dance of Death on a scale from 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Dance of Death

9. Because of corny lyrics.

Easy 10. Not just the best track on the album, but one of their best ever tracks. I get what your saying, mckindog, it does get a little Spinal Tap in the middle, but I can see past that and now to me it just sounds....Maiden.

Great story, fantastic melody. Superb song. The Gers/Harris song-writing partnership delivers the goods once again.

If I'd rate this song on a scale between 1 and 10, i'd give it a 12.

This song is one of the best (if not the best) Maiden 2000-era songs, and one of their finest songs in their discography as well

I concur with Albie because I really think this is the best track of the album, and in my humble opinion the song has extra status because it belongs to the two best songs Gers has ever co-written. The Unbeliever in his nineties days, Dance of Death in this era. The quality of the melodies and the quick pace they are played with are astounding. The melodies are turned into riffs, or as you wish: the riffs are incredibly melodic!

The solo section is the best from the whole album, especially Adrian and Dave reach their highest summit. Love the way Dave's section is in a different modus.

I have special memories of the first time I saw this song performed. Adrian and Steve stood about 2 or 3 meter away from me, on the edge of the stage, Adrian "swinging" in his typical shuffling/stepping way. Not sure if you know what I mean, but you can see from his body language when he's really into a certain Maiden part. Anyway, there was a plastic cup and H kicked it into the crowd (without deviating from his rhythm) and he and Steve burst into laughter about it. Not a big deal, anyway, I liked it.

As Perun mentioned, the build-up is sublime. The song becomes harder at a moment when Wrathchild would already be finished, but these short 3 minutes alone are much more captivating than the Killers standard.

Good review, Foro! Its always tough posting a review after yours..I love the mention of the cup and I too enjoyed watching H sway side to side just over a month ago. My private chuckle over H was how rockstar and laidback he was looking onstage, and yet his really uncool looking boxer shorts were poking just over his jeans. Anyway...

I loathed Dance of Death from the moment of its release due to its spinal tap acoustic work just before the distorted guitar kicks in...couldn't listen to it. But last year as it was in the setlist I gave it another go, and boy was it mindblowing. It builds and builds and builds and prances to a crescendo. Bruce at his finest. The solos staggering. It is a very, very exciting song to listen to...another epic that fully justifies the existence of the three guitarists. And I love how it mentions the Everglades.

10/10. Great song, one of the best from the album.

'Dance Of Death' is another 10/10. It's my favourite song from the album and Janick's best one.

9/10 from me.  It's a very cinematic song for sure.  I do kind of wish they would tell us a story instead of saying, "let me tell you a story" (looking at you lyrics to this song, Breeg and El Dorado) but it's a small complaint.

I love the intro.  The guitar harmonies are to die for.  And the 3 guitar harmonies that reprise the main melody is one of my favorite Maiden harmonies EVER.  This song was pure magic live.  And while it's long it doesn't feel overlong nor overly repetitive.

Really good song, the intro sounds like you should be sitting around the campfire with a flashlight in the face.  Then the song just kicks ass, a great melody and a lot of fun live.  Pretty similar to Fear of the Dark live, but much better than FOD on the album.  I give it a 10.

To be honest this song was not an instant favourite of mine, but over the years I have grown to really like it, an epic, colossal tune, 10/10.

Brilliant song. I was debating a while how to score it, but feel it really deserves a 10/10.

Forostar said:
Adrian "swinging" in his typical shuffling/stepping way. Not sure if you know what I mean, but you can see from his body language when he's really into a certain Maiden part.
I know exactly what you mean. Especially as he looks disinterested most of the time. ;)

Strong song, despite use of the phrase "prance". I keep liking this song more and more over time. Like it live, glad to see this instead of Paschendale last year on tour. 7

This song never appealed to me and I don't understand the praise it gets. if Maiden ever had a spinal-tap moment, Dance of Death is certainly it. 6/10

NightProwler666 said:
Best song of the last 6 albums (TXF-TFF). Fantastic melodies, vocals, everything! 10/10!

Just curious, which song from FOTD (or even No Prayer) you find better? FOTD?  :)

Interesting question :) My favorite song from NPFTD is Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter (yeah, I know it's not popular around here :) ) and FOTD from FOTD :). When I can't decide which song I like more, I think what song would I prefer to see live the most, which in this case (of these 3 songs) is Dance Of Death... So I could also say that it's the best song from last 8 albums, but I'm not 100% sure :)

NightProwler666 said:
Interesting question :) My favorite song from NPFTD is Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter (yeah, I know it's not popular around here :) ) and FOTD from FOTD :). When I can't decide which song I like more, I think what song would I prefer to see live the most, which in this case (of these 3 songs) is Dance Of Death... So I could also say that it's the best song from last 8 albums, but I'm not 100% sure :)

I was looking for something like that, indeed. Pretty cool.

It is one of the best songs Maiden have done after the return of Bruce/H. A varied composition, a great campfire story, great solos. I'll follow the sheep flock and give a 10 to this one.

Back