Custom Compilations (Playlists)

In the vein of "Somewhere in Time" and "From Fear To Eternity", but not necessarily "greatest hits".

Here are a couple I recently made, trying to improve my listening experience of albums 8 & 9.
Together they include only and all the songs from those albums, but rearranged and grouped differently.

"Afraid To Fear"
1. Childhood's End 2. Public Enema No.1 3. Tailgunner 4. Afraid to SS 5. Run Silent Run Deep 6. Be Quick
7. No Prayer 8. The Assasin 9. Fates Warning 10. Mother Russia 11. Wasting Love 12. Fear of the Dark

"Hooks and Chains"
1. Holy Smoke 2. From Here To Eternity 3. Chains of Misery 4. Fear is the Key 5. The Apparition
6. Judas Be My Guide 7. Hooks in You 8. Bring Your Daughter 9. Weekend Warrior 10. The Fugitive

Improvements? Or what other compilations or playlists have you made?

Interesting. I never mixed up tracks of just two albums. Normally, I prefer to hear one album in the order it is made. But if this improves your appreciation for these albums (and thus: songs!), I am the last to object!

I see you have used all songs from these albums. :ok: My favourite is "Afraid to Fear", by far! The Fugitive is for me the best from "Hooks and Chains" and I also rate it higher than 9 songs from the other album.

Interesting concept!
I would have balanced them more, now it feelseems like most of the good songs are on the A-list and the other one are the leftovers...
I feel like doing a suggestion myself, but don't think I'll have the time right now...

I found some time in between the customers, here's my suggestion (unlistened, though):

Be Quick or Be Dead
Holy Smoke
Childhood's End
The Assassin
Run Silent Run Deep
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Weekend Warrior
Chains of Misery
Fates Warning
The Apparition
No Prayer for the Dying
-------------------------------------------
Public Enema Number One
Judas Be My Guide
Tailgunner
The Fugitive
Fear is the Key
Mother Russia
Bring Your Daughter...To the Slaughter
From Here to Eternity
Hooks in You
Wasting Love
Fear of the Dark

I've done a lot of this when I was younger. Making my own mix on actual cassette tapes. Usually trying to make my own concert with songs from different CD's and attempt to make the transition between each song as smooth as possible with the crowd noises and everything :D

Do any of you put together setlist compilations? I have one for Maiden England 2013 and I did ones for Sabaton last year and Amon Amarth in January.

Yes I remember doing this :) I think it was for the Maiden England 2013 tour as well..I think perhaps I was on the official forum at that time and there was a thread there (I suppose a thread for the 2013 opening show) and I'd put a song on as soon as it was confirmed :)

Do any of you put together setlist compilations? I have one for Maiden England 2013 and I did ones for Sabaton last year and Amon Amarth in January.
All the time! Sometimes when I'm bored at work I'll make setlist playlists on my iPad.

Here's one I did today. "Early Days", comprised of only the first 3 albums:

1. Murders in the Rue Morgue
2. Prowler
3. 22 Acacia Avenue
4. Wrathchild
5. Remember Tomorrow
6. Run To The Hills
7. Killers
8. Total Eclipse
9. Children of the Damned
10. Purgatory
11. Phantom of the Opera
12. Number of the Beast
13. Hallowed
14. Iron Maiden
----------------------------
15. Running Free
16. Drifters
17. Sanctuary

Before every concert I make a playlist of what the band's been playing on their last tour or in the past year or so, then build it around the latest setlist. It's easy with Maiden because they never change the setlist, but there's also Blind Guardian who played like 35 songs in first 2 months of this year's tour :) Then I just listen to that playlist as concert prep... don't wanna listen to Alexander The Great on repeat if they ain't gonna play it.

I'm not keen on playlists. I either listen to an album in its entirety, or cherry pick the songs I want to hear with no order.

Most people have made playlists. So did I. But what differs in this opening post is that a maximum of two albums is used. Bet none of you did that.

Most people have made playlists. So did I. But what differs in this opening post is that a maximum of two albums is used. Bet none of you did that.
True. It's a pretty arbitrary, user-specific thing. But I did once make a Rubber Soul/Revolver mix that omitted all the songs I didn't like.

True. It's a pretty arbitrary, user-specific thing. But I did once make a Rubber Soul/Revolver mix that omitted all the songs I didn't like.
I've made a similar list of NPFTD/FOTD a few times:

1. Be Quick or be Dead
2. Tailgunner
3. Public Enema No. 1
4. Holy Smoke
5. Chains of Misery
6. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
7. The Fugitive
8. Run Silent Run Deep
9. Fates Warning
10. Judas Be My Guide
11. Fear of the Dark

I challenged myself to choosing only 4 tracks from each album

Oh man that takes me back. I did that about 10 years ago, but burning onto CDs for my car. I no longer have the playlist, but I remember fitting 12 songs (3 albums) per CD, and skipping NPFTD in favor of DOD.

An obligatory activity. :)

Haha indeed. Here's mine :D 10 tracks, about an hour:

01 Perfect Crime
02 Yesterdays
03 Double Talkin' Jive
04 Civil War
05 Pretty Tied Up
06 You Could Be Mine
07 November Rain
08 Dead Horse
09 Estranged
10 Coma

I will name it.....Satisfy Your Illusions ;)

After a couple months I came back to these and re-listened, and made a few tweaks.

"Afraid To Fear"
1. Childhood's End
2. Public Enema No.1
3. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
4. Run Silent Run Deep
5. Be Quick of Be Dead
6. No Prayer for the Dying
7. The Assasin
8. Fates Warning
9. Mother Russia
10. Wasting Love
11. Fear of the Dark