Cultural Osmosis

Wästed The Great

Minister Of Chicks, Metal&Beer; Cool & Froody Dude
Staff member
Have you ever been in a conversation with someone, and they spit out some line or quote, that references a movie that you like, then come to find out they have never even heard of it, but they understand the meaning behind it without knowing where it came from?  It always amuses me how things become so commonly used in society that people don't know the origin, but understand what it means.

I was listening to a radio show recently; they were talking about a baseball management team, and the an announcer said that they were 'getting the band back together'.  Clearly, that is a Blues Brothers line, but I know many people have used that term and have never seen the movie (blasphemy).  Another one that really made me laugh was last winter, it was cold and some people had personal heaters at their desks.  One lady was saying she was 'going to have to turn it to eleven to warm up.'  I said "Great movie!" ...she said, "What movie".  Had never seen Spinal Tap, but knew what it meant.  Now, the Blues Brothers one, you could say is just clearly common sense to understand what that means.  However, that '11' reference is pure Spinal Tap.

I almost fell out of my chair when a friend of mine answered a question with '42'.  She had never seen or heard of Hitchhikers Guide, but somehow had come to find out that 42 was supposed to be the answer.  (Less strange, but equally amusing were the few '42' references in Stargate: Atlantis).

I know how it works, I know that is how our society evolves and all, I just find it very interesting to see movie lines that I watched as a youth become integrated into common society so quickly.

Interesting. Well, that's the way people (by books or other media) can change language. Language evolves, so do expressions.

In my country we also have several "recent" -let's say post WWII- expressions and word(-combination)s. They came into the Dutch language because of the impact they had in certain popular TV-programs or books.

Some of them I also knew (and used) before realizing that they were written in a book or said on TV some twenty or thirty years ago.

It means that these expressions are so natural (or normal) that it sounds like they've always been there.
I think that even amounts to a bigger credit to the originator.

It happens through time. I knew the phrase "Beam me up Scotty" as meaning "get me the hell out of here" from childhood, because my parents used it that way. Only later did I discover Star Trek. So I suspect this often happens by that kind of generational change with loss of original context.

The exact phrase "Beam me up, Scotty" was actually never used on Star Trek. :D

I really really hate how people say 'Luke I am your father!' whens it's actually 'No, I am your father!', I'm always sure to correct anyone who gets it wrong.

Part of it is the generational gap and cross-cultural referencing. For example. I love watching kid shows, because of great little nuggets like this kim possible Shaft reference (7:20-8:35) HILARIOUS!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7M0XDUt0GA

I doubt white suburbanite children know the reference, but it is fucking funny

And Phineas and Ferb are guilty of A LOT of cross references with blues brothers and Star Wars to name a few.

A few years ago, I talked to a friend about a girl I liked, and mentioned that she was vegetarian. Reply: "What level?" "What do you mean, what level?" "Like there are vegans level five who don't eat anything that throws a shadow." That wasn't even the first time I heard about those "vegans level 5". Having had quite a bit of experience with vegetarians and vegans, I was already assuming that was some sort of catchphrase that I missed...  it just sounded too ridiculous. And a few months later, I saw the Simpsons episode it originated from. And it wasn't even a very old one (at that time, at least).

Perun said:
A few years ago, I talked to a friend about a girl I liked, and mentioned that she was vegetarian. Reply: "What level?" "What do you mean, what level?" "Like there are vegans level five who don't eat anything that throws a shadow." That wasn't even the first time I heard about those "vegans level 5". Having had quite a bit of experience with vegetarians and vegans, I was already assuming that was some sort of catchphrase that I missed...  it just sounded too ridiculous. And a few months later, I saw the Simpsons episode it originated from. And it wasn't even a very old one (at that time, at least).

On a similar note I've heard people refer to "Hardcore vegans" as "Won't drive through a town with ham in the name" (Bill Bailey joke).

@Onhell: I love Phineas & Ferb!

I also find that a lot of references I make I have no idea where they come from, I just pick them up from friends or TV shows...come to think of it a lot of cultural references I know come from Family Guy who are taking it from something well-known in American pop culture, but since I didn't grow up in the US I have no idea what they're about.

Classics, almost by definition, are works that are considered to be of high quality, are influential on later works, and are widely known. However, one will often find that only scholars and enthusiasts have first-hand knowledge of the material in question, and that the masses know it either only by title or by homages, parodies, direct references and allusions found in more populist works. Essentially, various bits and pieces of high culture are most widely known through their use in pop culture. Ill-informed people might even think these bits and pieces are original to the popular work, and -nine times out of ten - that's terrible.

Back