Countdown to Senjutsu. 17 albums in 17 days.

The magic of Photoshop. They were probably in entirely different parts of the world when photographed. Also, Dave looks younger
It can also be the a single photograph of the band and easily manipulated (you don't even get to knee level.., barely 3/4 plan so easy job). Plus there's a blatant and strong tonal and contrast manipulation on the entire color and saturation levels, both by making it look more realistic portrait like and by accentuating a fainted magenta plus yellow (red) mix above all others to give it that bright reddish hue.

Currently on my second listen. Initial thoughts on Senjutsu.

• The production is the best since AMOLAD. Everything is clear and crunchy. Bruce's vocals sound nice and wet. I love the new synth sound they've applied here. Obviously Steve has upgraded his old Casio keyboard finally.
  • Like TBOS I prefer the inner artwork to the cover (see pic)
  • Wow. The reviews weren't kidding that Senjutsu was Toolesque. Man Nicko's drums are like rolling thunder. This is heavier than anything Metallica have managed since 1991. The chorus is unbelievable. An instant classic.
  • Stratego is a classic galloping rocker. Up there with OOTSP.
  • TWOTW has grown on me. I wasn't sure about it initially but Adrian's epic solo has won me over.
  • LIALW has a better first half than the latter. I love the Pink Floyd vibes in the first 3 minutes. The rest of the song is quite X-Factor-ish which doesn't appeal to me. The outro brought it back though.
  • DOFP (I was so hoping this would be based on the X-Men story but sadly not) is a solid H rocker. It sounds like something off BNW which I appreciated.
  • I LOVED TTM. Janick on fire as usual. Giving us some solid hooks and melodies (even though he copies his own celtic melody from TBOS).
  • I absolutely loved Darkest Hour even though I think Churchill was a cnut. He got one thing right in a lifetime of wrongs so I guess that's worthy of examination. The vocals soar on this one. The waves and seagulls really add to the atmosphere. It wasn't overtly jingoistic either which I was fine with.
  • DOTC was a slight let-down as it had been hyped as Clansman II (never read the reviews). I was expecting a soaring chorus but didn't get one. What we did get though was a five minute celtic jig which I'd love to see live.
  • The Pak-re-ment as it has become know around here starts off well with some decent melodies then an extended instrumental section. What I wasn't prepared for is when the song just TAKES OFF in the 3rd act and Bruce soars and the music swells. My favourite part of the album thus far.
  • HOE is a monster. Steve just pulls all the Maiden out of his sleeve. Massive gallops, huge choruses and epic solos. Everything you want in an album closer.
I need to hear this more to fully comprehend it but thus far it's an absolute triumph. I wouldn't dare rank it out of all 17 albums yet but of the reunion era I'd place it 3rd below AMOLAD and BNW. While it doesn't reach those heights it blows TBOS, TFF and DOD out of the water. Some achievement for a band pushing 70. Well done lads.

20210903_222256.jpg

I've just finished my first listen as I write this. I drank some tea, took some tobacco, and lied down on the couch.

Like Spaldy above me, I wasn't prepared how good of a chorus Senjutsu would have.
I love the pace and the chorus of Stratego.
The Writing on the Wall is also very appropriately paced. That solo by Adrian Smith is amazing.
I'd describe the vibes Lost in a Lost World x When the Wild Wind Blows from The Final Frontier. It's not a knock at all. I love the outro of this. It felt as if it was never ending. And then I was sad when it ended.
The overall cadence of Days of Future Past reminds me a lot of The Wicker Man from Brave New World.
The Time Machine was one of the tracks I was looking forward to the most after reading some reviews, aside from the last three Steve Harris tracks. I waited for that chorus that I had heard was going to be so mind-blowing. And then the track ended. That's on me on building it Simple storytelling in a proggy sea. Those small melody changes really shine on this one. Once it struck me that the track had ended, I thought it was kick-ass anyway.
Is that Adrian with that long and fast solo at 04:12 - 05:01? Holy shit, that might even be his best solo on this album! I love how this sounds like something that could have been on one of Bruce Dickinson's 1990s solo album.
I think I need to listen to Death of the Celts a couple of more times before I figure that one out. This sounds like parts of The Unbeliever from The X Factor and parts of The Clansman from Virtual XI. When the track ended, I thought "What? Already?"
The Parchment was probably the song I had heard the least about going into this. I was not prepared to be as taken by that ominous bass and synth intro as I was. This song really blossoms out into something majestically beautiful at the last three minutes of the song. This is as if the title track from The Book of Souls and the title track of Powerslave had a beautiful baby. I actually had to go up and walk it off after this track ended.
I had goosebumps all throughout of Hell on Earth. The fadeout ending is well deserved.

Nicko McBrain is a beast throughout the whole album. No one had an off moment, and no song had an off moment. This is an instant A-tier classic and a modern day masterpiece in my first listen. But I will need some further listens and more acquainting with the tracks and the lyrics to the songs before I can decide if it stays in the A-tier list or if it moves to the S-tier.

Last edited:
I need to hear this more to fully comprehend it but thus far it's an absolute triumph. I wouldn't dare rank it out of all 17 albums yet but of the reunion era I'd place it 3rd below AMOLAD and BNW. While it doesn't reach those heights it blows TBOS, TFF and DOD out of the water. Some achievement for a band pushing 70. Well done lads.

There I was surfing the interwebs while sat on the throne when I came across this faintly damning review of Senjutsu: https://riffmagazine.com/album-reviews/iron-maiden-senjutsu/

The last comment on the review, as I type, is this one: "It's a fair review. The album is mediocre. End of. Back to the basement, fanboys." So what changed? :D

There I was surfing the interwebs while sat on the throne when I came across this faintly damning review of Senjutsu: https://riffmagazine.com/album-reviews/iron-maiden-senjutsu/

The last comment on the review, as I type, is this one: "It's a fair review. The album is mediocre. End of. Back to the basement, fanboys." So what changed? :D
I mean personally I couldn't care less what some half-arsed metal website or random nobber commenting on it thinks. If they don't like it then it sucks to be them.

Oh, I thought it was your comment, just remembered your username from here, and the desire for Scottish independence matched. Was puzzled how you went from thinking it was an absolute triumph to thinking it was mediocre and sending fanboys back to their basement. Thought it was strange but explains it if wasn't you :facepalm: :D

Oh, I thought it was your comment, just remembered your username from here, and the desire for Scottish independence matched. Was puzzled how you went from thinking it was an absolute triumph to thinking it was mediocre and sending fanboys back to their basement. Thought it was strange but explains it if wasn't you :facepalm: :D
Either an odd coincidence or I've got a weirdo stalker. Either way it wasn't me.

Senjutsu
I've spent the long weekend ruminating on this album and I'm still not 100% sure of my full opinion. I love the opening three tracks: great power, great sequence, catchy, huge music...love it all. Lost In A Lost World, however, ruins so much for me. The intro is really cool (and unique for Maiden) and the second half of the song has some of the worst Bruce vocals in existence and ludicrously choppy transitions. It's truly a bottom 25 song for me. Days of Future Past and The Time Machine are both...fine. In terms of the good material here they are filler, but still decent songs I suppose. I love the passion in Darkest Hour, though the subject matter and beach noises are a bit naff. Amazing solo, though.

The last three tracks are all pretty great (yes, even Clansman II), but the album sequencing lets them down. They end up feeling like a massive blur because they have that typical bloated Harris structure to them. The Parchment is a behemoth of a tune, really great, and Hell On Earth has some of their best melodies in ages (despite their inability to stop fucking playing the fucking guitar melody while Bruce is fucking singing). Overall, I don't know. Bruce is honestly the weakest link here as he seems like he doesn't give a shit on certain (non-Bruce) songs, especially the previously mentioned, atrocious Lost In A Lost World. You could certainly make this a much better album by cutting that garbage tune and rearranging the whole middle:

1. Senjutsu
2. Stratego
3. The Writing on the Wall
4. Death of the Celts
5. Darkest Hour
6. The Parchment
7. Days of Future Past
8. The Time Machine
9. Hell on Earth

Senjutsu.

The first four reunion albums were generally like a good square meal, not the gourmet delights of the '80's fine cuisine, but solid and enjoyable enough, whereas Book was the equivalent of a bowl of gruel.
Senjutsu feels like a bag of Skittles, or a box of chocolates! After the initial rush of excitement there's a rapid cooling off.

At midnight Friday morning I was listening on Spotify, then the cd arrived on the day which got played relentlessly, straight and shuffled, for the weekend. On Monday my(extortionately priced) red vinyl arrived and I played that through a couple of times.

Now, here's where the reality kicks in. It's a bit of a hassle to play vinyl, but I prefer the process and experience over other media. However, if I'm indifferent about a track I'll not bother. So, which tracks do I now skip, or rather, which vinyls of the three are worth the trouble of playing?

Disc one has 5 tracks. I like Stratego, but I've heard it a lot already. Lost in a Lost World is the only one really, and I'd flip for Stratego. The Smith/Dickinson tracks sound like Dickinson solo and not Maiden. Smith/Harris sounds like Priest.

Disc two has 3 tracks. Time Machine has some interesting stuff. Hour, another Smith/Dickinson Bruce solo(Coming Home sounds like Iron Maiden, this does not). Celts is okay 'spose. I might skip this disc.

Disc three just has Parchment(how can anyone pronounce this wrong, and then go on to explain what a parchment is?) which is my favorite here, and Hell on Earth which is fun, so I'll play this.

There's no unlistenable tracks here. I don't expect anything from this band nowadays. The fact they're entertaining us at all(and practically for free) is just good fun, and any gripes are pointless. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last, and I'm tempted to say, “Put a fork in it, it's done!”, but if more is to come I'll just appreciate it for what it is.

Current rankings(subject to some movement);

1. Piece of Mind
2. Killers
3. Powerslave
4. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
5. No Prayer for the Dying
6. The Final Frontier
7. Iron Maiden
8. Brave New World
9. Dance of Death
10. A Matter of Life and Death
11.The Number of the Beast
12. Somewhere in Time
13. Senjutsu
14. Fear of the Dark
15. The X Factor
16. The Book of Souls
17. Virtual XI

Man, all you people talking shit about The Book of Souls. It’s one of the best Maiden albums ever. A monolithic experience without a bad song and the highs are among the best in their whole discography. Last I ranked them it was in my Maiden Top 4. I have yet to see if Senjutsu beats it or not. It’s a high bar to cross.

Man, all you people talking shit about The Book of Souls. It’s one of the best Maiden albums ever. A monolithic experience without a bad song and the highs are among the best in their whole discography. Last I ranked them it was in my Maiden Top 4. I have yet to see if Senjutsu beats it or not. It’s a high bar to cross.
I think TBOS is the best album the band have ever put out, but I've long ago accepted my tastes are frankly weird for this site (DOD top 3, AMOLAD bottom 3).

After relistening all reunion albums I came to the conclusion it´s my least favourite reunion album together with DOD. And mainly because of 3 songs I don´t like that much: When The River Runs Deep, Tears Of A Clown and Speed Of Light. Really dislike the last one´s chorus. I can´t think of any song on Senjutsu that´s worse than the mentioned songs.

I really strongly disagree on the consistency of TBOS. For me, there's not a bad track on the album. Any perceived inconsistency is more due to how stunning the peaks of the album are.

I'd take the weakest songs on this album over the weakest on any album except SSOASS and SIT. The strongest songs speak for themselves.

Senjutsu is good, and the first disc is on par with their best, but it loses steam in the middle of the second.

So tomorrow its one week sinse Senjutstu came out. I have decided to take a break from it starting on saturday. Senjutsu is the only thing I have listened to this week, and its been awesome. So I wanna take at least a week break from it, maybe longer. All depends on the mood and how much I wanna hear it again. But its gonna be fun to listen to everything else and see how Senjutsu evolves from the break

Back