Club vs. Arenas: Show experiences

But RH was in a studio --do you feel it's got quite a club "feel" to it?

Personally, I see both as a throwback to a passionate British fanbase i.e. ME is a 80's Birmingham crowd, & RH was pretty much all diehard fanclub members. (Altho' admittedly I haven't watched RH in a while.) These people were all passionate British fans, watching a British Heavy Metal act. Now, I get the sense that that passion, or certainly that "atmosphere" crowds create, isn't really there (in the UK, & dare I say maybe the US too?) anymore (to the same extent --as discussed above); hence the two live South American releases in the last decade or so. Maybe it is because Maiden are playing these big characterless festival events & poor-acoustic arenas? When you watch big festival events (of any kind) there's always this nagging feeling that not everyone's that appreciative of setlist tracks of a non-standard, non-"classics" nature. I mean, since RiR (2001) Maiden have headlined Donington three times, played big London shows like Twickenham & the O2, & toured the US many times --yet for some reason there's been no live release from any of these shows/tours. In fact, bar Donington 2007 (which is far more about the setlist), nobody's really suggesting they do; I wonder why. I might be wrong with my above assessment (especially about UK & US fans), but it's odd sometimes what they choose to, & choose not to, release (--bearing in mind they film & record so much too.) Talking of decent European (or am I really saying "western" crowds here?; I don't know...) I really think they should have released the 2005 Ullevi gig; with it's older tracks that nobody's got on DVD & a good crowd.

Yep that's what I meant. It got a club feel to it.

Shows like Rock in Rio are impressive because they're just a giant spectacle...that 2001 show, 250,000! people there or something like that..So of course it's an impressive watch on a DVD but on the other hand, there's like 20 meters from the stage to the crowd and a mist all of the spectacle you really do loose some of that "connection" and intimacy that you get from watching a club gig. In the end that massive amount of people also makes it a bit anonymous..

hqdefault.jpg

In comparison to Raising Hell:

hqdefault.jpg

Or maybe it is just that I like to watch indoor gigs where all the lights and effects and stuff can take proper place on a smaller stage?

Like, imagine the Rock in Rio/Brave New World tour show being performed on a stage like the Raising Hell screenshot above with the same crowd. That would have been a special DVD to watch!

Last edited:
See, when you actually look at the RiR stage (just the band on stage, with no crowd shots); it's not that dissimilar though. But, yeh, I totally agree with what you've just written. RiR et al are, indeed, a spectacle; to be watched at home on DVD --smaller shows are the ones you'd want to actually be at. That said, if you can get right to the front at an arena gig (the O2 in London, or anywhere else), you're as close as the crowd are in that RH photo. It's really just the gap to the crowd at these big festivals which is big; or that big safety gap at Download that runs dead centre to the lighting rig. What a piece of total nonsense --none of the crowd is dead centre in front of the stage! o_O

The photo I had in mind, when I made comments further back. Look at how close those arms & hands are to Steve's foot! Amazing...

Attachments

• NEWCASTLE CITY HALL 1986 (rotated).jpg
    NEWCASTLE CITY HALL 1986 (rotated).jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Sorry, this is better:

Yup, that's awesome!

Death on The Road was also great. Not my favorite era of Maiden though, which is why I sorta underrate it a lot because I am not crazy about that album/tour that much..but them filming the show at Dortmund was a great idea because it captures all the things we've said so far that a big festival show like Rock in Rio can't. Now, Imagine if we got a Maiden England 2013 show from an indoor show with all the lights and stuff...

Here is one from Dortmund, 2003:

0.jpg

Eh forget that, brain freeze...

I meant another big festival show from South America after En Vivo! and Rock In Rio...Although we don't know for sure what they'll release..

I have never been to a festival gig. The entire idea just does not appeal to me. If Maiden happened to be playing one near me, I would try to make it, but I wouldn't be heartbroken to miss it. Now, if they were playing a venue on their own tour, without the other crap bands and fans that are associated with massive festivals, I would really try to make it and be upset if I could not. If they were playing a theater, club, etc. (which would never happen), I would literally trample infants and grannies to get there.

The size of the venue is inversely related to my desire to attend.

I think Maiden like to use DVDs these days to show how massive they are and to highlight the spectacle that comes with a Maiden concert. Festivals and SA performances are the best way to do that.

Never been one for labels myself ;) I do find something quite impressive about a festival atmosphere, though. I prefer small venues on the whole, but when a seriously large amount of people outdoors are all getting into the music simultaneously, that's quite amazing.

I agree with the idea of it, it's a beautiful thing. But from the standpoint of wanting to actually see and hear the band you love, they're usually terrible (unless you wait for days to get to the front or piss people off by pushing through them).

Going to a big festival would allow me to see other bands I like + Maiden never plays a shortened set on festivals, so it'd be all the same to me. Almost always I managed to get relatively close to the stage on festivals, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

Sorry for dragging up something so old, but I was YouTube surfing...
Metallica in a 2000 capacity venue? And Maiden as well? Wow.
I hate the Barrowlands! I've been to three gigs there but not since 2007. I much prefer the Academy on Eglinton Street.
I think the main thing I didn't like about the Barrowlands is that it's just not a concert venue. It's a bloody ballroom dancing venue for Christ's sake. It's too old and stuffy for my liking.
I couldn't really find any other early-mid 90's footage (probably because there ain't much), except of shitty Oasis concerts; but this is how I kinda remember the Barrowlands BW, in respect to crowd & atmosphere:

I have had a good number of wonderful concert experiences at clubs, but while I'm watching those shows, I always wish I was seeing the band on in a huge arena in front of 20,000 people, on a huge stage with a really fancy production and light show. So, I definitely prefer arenas to clubs myself.

Back