Classic cinema - thoughts and questions

Well, I guess part of the suspense is knowing what is going to happen. And feeling the tension of all the characters involved. I wanted to watched the film two days ago again and loved the hell out of it. Especially the last 20 minutes or so. :--)

Have you seen the trailer? It features the guy who
will be murdered:

Interesting! No, I hadn't seen it, but that's really fascinating. How often does a movie trailer provide additional context by showing events prior to the film?

The other interesting aspect is that it pretty overtly spells out what happens in the story. It even shows Rupert opening the box. It really does seem like Hitchcock did not want this to be a mystery at all. After watching the trailer, there's no question of whether they get caught.

I am afraid that goes for many old film trailers. And I doubt if the directors had much influence on them. Full of spoilers. Never watch them, only after seeing a film. ;)

For sure ... the term "spoiler alert" had not been invented.

The trailer for Psycho is one of my favorites ... and it give away a lot .. but it is a really clever trailer.

One thing to consider though, at the time of Rope, movie theaters would show double features (an A movie and a B movie, maybe a cartoon or news feature, and trailers). So the public would buy a ticket, go into the theater, most likely in the middle of one of the movies ... and stay until they got to where they walked in .

Odds are , most people saw the end of a movie before the beginning of it. I think the serials (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, etc) were the only thing that started at a fixed time.

There is a documentary on the Psycho DVD where Hitchcock did not want people coming in the middle of that movie, in part because they would wonder where the lead actress was, and part it made a good publicity stunt. They had a campaign of "no one will be seated after the movie starts" .. they hired some guards for some big theaters ... and that is what in part lead movie theaters to add start adding start times for movies.

Rope's one of my favorites - certainly gives a good sense of tension imposed by guilt, kinda like a theater play version of the Telltale Heart. Jimmy Stewart, as always, chews the entire scenery when given the opportunity - you can still find his teethmarks in the dining room table.

The world of (classic) cinema seems endless. First I was focused on titles, then on genres, later on actors, directors and other film production roles, more genres, countries... and lately I thought of focusing on the studio perspective is also interesting. Which studio made which films?

In Hollywood there was the "studio system". During the Golden Age of Hollywood you had eight major studios.

20th Century Fox (earlier Fox Film Corperation)
MGM (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer)
Paramount Pictures
RKO Radio Pictures
Warner Bros.
Universal Pictures
Columbia Pictures
United Artists

Which (for me) interesting films were done per studio, per year? I decided to focus especially on the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s and 1950s (the end of the studio system).

Please comment or add films if you think they deserve mention! Any favourites (or interesting ones) you miss?

I'll use this post for the 1920s (if you find earlier films from one of these studios interesting, let me know!). At this point of writing, for the 1930s and later I have only investigated 5 studios, so I'll add more later on.

1910s and 1920s
Universal:
The Three Godfathers

Universal:
Straight Shooting

Universal:
Hell Bent

Paramount:
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
The Toll Gate

Warner Bros.
The Kid

20th Century Fox:
Just Tony

Universal:
Hunchback of Notre Dame

20th Century Fox:
The Iron Horse

MGM:
Greed
Sherlock Jr.

20th Century Fox:
Riders of the Purple Sage

MGM:
Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ

Paramount:
Wild Horse Mesa

Universal:
The Phantom of the Opera

United Artists:
Tumbleweeds
The Gold Rush

20th Century Fox:
3 Bad Men

The Great K & A Train Robbery

United Artists:
The Winning of Barbara Worth
The General

20th Century Fox:
The Last Trail

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

MGM:
The Unknown

Paramount:
Wings

Universal:
The Cat and the Canary

20th Century Fox:
4 Devils

MGM:
The Cameraman

Universal:
The Man Who Laughs

Columbia:
The Submarine

United Artists:
The Circus

Paramount:
The Virginian

Universal:
The Last Warning
The Last Performance
Hell's Heroes

Columbia:
The Donovan Affair

Last edited:
1930s (1930-1934) (Not done yet: Universal, Columbia, United Artists)

20th Century Fox: The Big Trail

Paramount: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

RKO: The Most Dangerous Game
MGM: Arsène Lupin
Warner Bros.: Doctor X
Warner Bros.: The Cabin in the Cotton
Warner Bros.: 20,000 Years in Sing Sing

RKO: King Kong
RKO: Little Women
MGM: Freaks

Paramount: The Eagle and the Hawk
Paramount: Murders in the Zoo
Paramount: Duck Soup
Paramount: Design for Living
Warner Bros.: Mystery of the Wax Museum

RKO: The Lost Patrol

RKO: Of Human Bondage
Warner Bros.: Fog Over Frisco

Last edited:
1930s (1935-1939) (not done yet: Universal, Columbia, United Artists)

20th Century Fox: The Farmer Takes a Wife
RKO: The Informer
MGM: Mark of the Vampire
MGM: Mad Love
MGM: The Murder Man
MGM: Anna Karenina
MGM: Kind Lady
Paramount: Wings in the Dark
Warner Bros.: Captain Blood
Warner Bros.: Border Town
Warner Bros.: Dangerous

MGM: Fury
MGM: The Devil Doll
MGM: Libeled Lady
MGM: Small Town Girl
MGM: Private Number
Paramount: The Trail of the Lonesome Pine
Paramount: The Moon's Our Home
Paramount: The Plainsman
Paramount: Desire
Warner Bros.: The Petrified Forest
Warner Bros.: The Charge of the Light Brigade

20th Century Fox: Seventh Heaven
RKO: Stage Door
MGM: Captains Courageous
MGM: Topper
MGM: The Last Gangster
MGM: Navy Blue and Gold
Paramount: Born to the West
Paramount: Easy Living
Paramount: Souls at Sea
Warner Bros.: Slim

Warner Bros.: That Certain Woman
Warner Bros.: Jezebel
Warner Bros.: Marked Woman
Warner Bros.: Kid Galahad

Warner Bros.: It's Love I'm After
Warner Bros.: Black Legion
Warner Bros.: San Quentin
Warner Bros.: Confession

RKO: Bringing Up Baby
RKO: Vivacious Lady

RKO: The Mad Miss Manton

MGM: The Shopworn Angel
MGM: Three Comrades
MGM: Of Human Hearts
Paramount: You and Me
Paramount: The Texans
Warner Bros.: The Sisters

Warner Bros.: Gold Is Where You Find It
Warner Bros.: The Adventures of Robin Hood
Warner Bros.: Crime School
Warner Bros.: Angels With Dirty Faces

Warner Bros.: The Dawn Patrol

20th Century Fox: Jesse James
20th Century Fox: The Hound of the Baskervilles
20th Century Fox: Young Mr. Lincoln
20th Century Fox: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
20th Century Fox: Drums Along the Mohawk
20th Century Fox: The Story of Alexander Graham Bell
RKO: Gunga Din
RKO: Love Affair
RKO: Five Came Back

RKO: Bachelor Mother

RKO: In Name OnlyRKO: Allegheny Uprising
RKO: The Hunchback of Notre Dame
MGM: It's a Wonderful World
MGM: The Wizard of Oz
MGM: The Women

MGM: Blackmail
MGM: Ninotchka
MGM: Gone with the Wind
Paramount: Beau Geste

Warner Bros.: Juarez
Warner Bros.: The Old Maid
Warner Bros.: The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex
Warner Bros.: Dodge City
Warner Bros.: The Oklahoma Kid
Warner Bros.: Dark Victory
Warner Bros.: The Roaring Twenties
Warner Bros.: The Return of Doctor X

Warner Bros.: Invisible Stripes

Last edited:
1940s (1940-1942) (not done yet: Universal, Columbia, United Artists)

20th Century Fox:
The Grapes of Wrath
The Return of Frank James
Night Train to Munich
The Mark of Zorro

RKO:

My Favourite Wife
Stranger on the Third Floor

MGM:
The Shop Around the Corner
Waterloo Bridge
The Mortal Storm
Edison, the Man
The Philadelphia Story
Escape

Paramount:
Cyclops

Warner Bros.:
British Intelligence
Castle on the Hudson
Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet
Virginia City
The Sea Hawk
All This, and Heaven Too
They Drive by Night
City for Conquest
Knute Rockne All American
A Dispatch from Reuter's
The Letter
Sante Fe Trail

20th Century Fox:
Western Union
Man Hunt
I Wake Up Screaming
Swamp Water
How Green Was My Valley
Wild Geese Calling

RKO:
Mr. And Mrs. Smith
Citizen Kane
The Little Foxes
Suspicion
Ball of Fire
The Devil and Miss Jones

MGM:
Come Live with Me
Rage in Heaven
A Woman's Face
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Johnny Eager

Paramount:
The Shepherd of the Hills
The Mad Doctor
The Lady Eve
Hold Back the Dawn
Among the Living
Sullivan's Travels

Warner Bros.:

High Sierra
Flight from Destiny
The Strawberry Blonde
Footsteps in the Dark
The Sea Wolf
The Great Lie
Strange Alibi
The Wagons Roll at Night
Meet John Doe
Shining Victory
Out of the Fog
Underground
The Bride Came C.O.D.
Manpower
Dive Bomber
Sergeant York
The Maltese Falcon
One Foot in Heaven
Blues in the Night
They Died with Their Boots On
Dangerously They Live

20th Century Fox:
To the Shores of Tripoli
The Undying Monster
Tales of Manhattan
Moontide

RKO:
The Magnificent Ambersons
Joan of Paris
The Pride of the Yankees
The Big Street
Cat People
Once Upon a Honeymoon

MGM:
Woman of the Year
Nazi Agent
Fingers at the Window
Mrs. Miniver
Crossroads
Eyes in the Night
Random Harvest
Keeper of the Flame
Reunion in France

Paramount:
Reap the Wild Wind
Torpedo Boat
This Gun for Hire
Street of Chance
The Glass Key

Warner Bros.:
All Through the Night
The Man Who Came to Dinner
Captains of the Clouds
Bullet Scars
Lady Gangster
The Male Animal
Murder in the Big House
Kings Row
Larceny Inc.
In This Our Life
Spy Ship
The Big Shot
Across the Pacific
Secret Enemies
Busses Roar
Desperate Journey
Now, Voyager
Gentleman Jim
Casablanca
George Washington Slept Here

Last edited:
Cheers. I haven't seen quite a bunch of these. Some films (only from Warner I guess!) are not very high graded crime/thriller/noir films (low 6's or even a few high 5's) that only take an hour or so to watch. Not huge wishlist material, but for me still interesting if I stumble upon them.

edit:
@bearfan do you know this? Looks pretty funny to me! Check out this clip.
A scene from the 1942 comedy "Larceny Inc." Edward G. Robinson is a con artist who buys a small luggage shop to tunnel into the bank vault next store. But, despite his best efforts, the shop keeps drawing in customers who interfere with the whole bank-robbery thing.

Last edited:
Cheers. I haven't seen quite a bunch of these. Some films (only from Warner I guess!) are not very high graded crime/thriller/noir films (low 6's or even a few high 5's) that only take an hour or so to watch. Not huge wishlist material, but for me still interesting if I stumble upon them.

edit:
@bearfan do you know this? Looks pretty funny to me! Check out this clip.
A scene from the 1942 comedy "Larceny Inc." Edward G. Robinson is a con artist who buys a small luggage shop to tunnel into the bank vault next store. But, despite his best efforts, the shop keeps drawing in customers who interfere with the whole bank-robbery thing.

Never saw that one .. it does look interesting .. and I always liked Edward G Robinson

To the "Interesting films from the eight major studios from Hollywood"-1910s and 1920s list I added Universal, Columbia and United Artists (RKO did not have films before the 1930s) and also added:

-Horrors (Universal!)
-Westerns
-F.W. Murnau
-Charlie Chaplin
-Buster Keaton
-Frank Capra

Last edited:
The Universal Monster movies certainly deserve inclusion. I have never been a big fan of westerns in general, but certainly some classics I enjoy

The Capra World War II (Why we fight series) are not so much entertaining, but very important films

The Capra World War II (Why we fight series) are not so much entertaining, but very important films
Landmarks both historically and in the annals of how movies are made and constructed. Even just reading about them is truly fascinating.

The Universal Monster movies certainly deserve inclusion.
Absolutely. If it weren't for Universal (especially) the 1930s (and 1940s to, to be honest) would have been a much duller era to investigate.
I have never been a big fan of westerns in general, but certainly some classics I enjoy
I do like 'em even when they have simple plots. If they are not lengthy and have enough action, (older) westerns can be quite enjoyable imo.
Landmarks both historically and in the annals of how movies are made and constructed. Even just reading about them is truly fascinating.
Haven't seen these yet!

For me, Capra is one of the best comedy film directors of all time. Next to It's a Wonderful Life (and I don't know Lost Horizon yet which also is no comedy) these are the ones that really should be seen:

1945 Arsenic and Old Lace
1941 Meet John Doe
1939 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
1938 You Can't Take It with You
1936 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
1934 It Happened One Night

I would highly recommend watching the Capra war films ... they were really interesting. They were really commissioned originally for the armed forces to answer the question of why we were in the war (beyond Pearl Harbor) ... the first one was also aired for the general public, not sure about the rest.

Very well done ... not 10000% accurate, but I think a really good attempt to frame the war and why it was more than just Pearl Harbor considering there was much debate before then if we should get in it or not.

Not accurate indeed.

I am interested how it all looks, but I am not that enthusiastic when I read this:

The Battle of Britain
Allegations of anti-Polish bias
The episode has been criticized for anti-Polish bias.[1]:151-2 The bias is a result of propaganda justifying the Western Allies' alliance with the Soviets, as the Soviets had to be portrayed as the "good guys." The Allies who were unsympathetic towards the Soviet Union, such as the Poles, were misportrayed or simply ignored.[1]:148-52 Thus, in this episode the map of Europe displayed shows half of Poland free (to avoid mentioning Soviet annexation of Polish territories following Soviet invasion of Poland), repeats the false Nazi propaganda claims that the Polish Air Force was destroyed on the ground (contrasting it with the correct fact that the RAF was not destroyed), and ignores the significant Polish participation in the Battle of Britain. Participation from Polish pilots from No. 303 Polish Fighter Squadron and other units was widely publicized in Britain at the time this propaganda piece was filmed.[1]:151-2

+ this:

The Nazis Strike
Critical reception
Polish-American historian Mieczysław B. Biskupski gives a harsh review of the movie, calling it "a conglomeration of patriotic exhortation, crackpot geopolitical theorizing, and historical mischief making."[1] He notes that the film was more than inaccurate, that it was an intentional attempt to falsify certain facts about the war, in particular, through its misportrayal of the Soviets.[1] The film casts Poles into the role of failure, and Soviets into the role of guiltless saviors, thus serving a clear ideological role of justifying the Anglo-American alliance with the Soviet Union.[1]

Last edited:
Back