Chess

Poto

Ancient Mariner
With the World Chess Championship between reigning champion Magnus Carlsen and challenger Fabiano Caruana starting on friday I thought we needed a thread about this wonderful game.

Anyone here who plays?

One night in Bangkok makes the... oh, that kind of chess. Eh, in moderation.

I occasionally play it against schoolmates and/or online. I'm not so excited for the Carlsen vs Caruana; there will be some interesting games, but Magnus' victory is almost certain.

I occasionally play it against schoolmates and/or online. I'm not so excited for the Carlsen vs Caruana; there will be some interesting games, but Magnus' victory is almost certain.
Not so sure. This will be Carlsen's toughest challenge yet. Caruana has had a terrific year, and is now only three points behind Carlsen on the rating list. Carlsen is my favourite to win, but it should be quite close. Expect Caruana to really push for wins with white, unlike Karjakin who played extremely carefully two years ago.

I think the same, the duel with Caruana will probably be more open. Caruana is a more adventurous player than Karjakin is. Carlsen's head to head stats against Caruana are good, though.

I believe @Dr. Eddies Wingman is an enthusiast.
Quite interested in chess, but I don't play actively (or regularly) and I believe I would've been utterly destroyed in a game against e.g. SMX.

Between the previous two world championship matches (Carlsen-Anand II and Carlsen-Karjakin) there was quite a lot of chess playing between people at work (we would play during breaks and sometimes during after-work social events). I found myself pretty much in the middle of the field regarding playing strength, but that field consisted of everything from good club players to novices.

The first game between Carlsen and Caruana ended in a draw. Carlsen completely outplayed Caruana in the middlegame but wasn't able to find the winning moves, and the game ended in a draw after seven hours of play. Carlsen with the white pieces tomorrow, before the players get a rest day.

After that first game, we've seen three rather uneventful draws. But today ... Caruana with a very sharp opening and Carlsen will need his best defensive skills. After the 7th of 8th move (don't remember exactly, this is going fast) the commentators said this position had been played only five times before ... none ending in a draw!

Finally a two-edged game that is unlikely to fade into a long, drawish endgame.

Seems Carlsen managed to survive the storm, at least according to the chess computers and two Norwegian GMs commenting; Simen Agdestein (Norway's first GM and at the time the world's youngest GM, Carlsen was later one of his students) and Jon Ludvig Hammer.

Seems Carlsen managed to survive the storm, at least according to the chess computers and two Norwegian GMs commenting; Simen Agdestein (Norway's first GM and at the time the world's youngest GM, Carlsen was later one of his students) and Jon Ludvig Hammer.
Carlsen either knew the opening or he played perhaps the best chess we've seen in the championship yet. Astonishing defence by him, and he has been in charge of all his games as black so far. Caruana has to come up with something special to win this.

Carlsen was in top form in the press conference after the game, and when asked who is his all-time favourite chess player he replied "me three, four years ago".

At one point during the match with Karjakin two years ago, Carlsen said "I don't believe in fortresses". After the game on Friday he was asked during the press conference and said "I do now ..." :D

This is becoming unpleasant. Caruana had a good chance of winning today, but missed two very strong moves and Carlsen was able to hold the draw. Four games to go, I have a feeling Caruana can win at least one.

At one point during the match with Karjakin two years ago, Carlsen said "I don't believe in fortresses". After the game on Friday he was asked during the press conference and said "I do now ..." :D
Great reaction from him when being told there was a mate in 36(?) at one point. But finding stuff like that is more or less impossible for humans.

10 games. 10 draws. Todays game was very tense. Wonder if we will get a winner in the classical section or not.

Magnus Carlsen defended his world title after completely crushing Fabiano Caruana in todays tie-breaks. 3-0 in rapids, a crushing victory and well deserved. The guy is superman at the chess board.

Daniil Dubov wins the Rapid Chess world championship! Funnily he was one of Magnus Carlsen's seconds for the championship match against Caruana - something Carlsen had actually not acknowledged in public until after they played each other today!

Blitz chess tournament following tomorrow/Sunday. Should be interesting.

Back