Chaos in the UK

I wholeheartedly agree that this riot needs to be put down. Jackboots or no.

Everything I've read suggests that this is 99% ignorance, and 1% total hostility. It makes me think of the post-Cup riots in Vancouver - there are suggestions that there was a group that started it. I could see that here. And if it takes the bloody army to do it? Send in the goddamn army.

First of all I'd like to say I'm very worried at the moment as I currently live in the outskirts of Manchester and I work late-shifts in Liverpool. Both of which are currently very volatile areas. While where I live and where I work are not near the city centres, my main worry is that the Police are getting stretched very thin and their weaknesses are very exposed. The local shops have no guarantee of any kind of protection at all.
I'm as safe as can be for the moment and there are many people in greater peril right now than me. But this whole crisis is getting everyone worried. I personally have lost confidence in the Police to protect us, the general public.

Perun said:
I didn't realise the UK police was more lax than the German one. Here, they go after harmless protesters with valid demands with water cannons and pepper spray.

By experience, I usually tend to side with rioters, because I often see how they evolved from people demanding reasonable things who weren't heard. But in this case, I completely fail to understand their point, or lack thereof. Maybe it's an outburst of frustration like what happened in France in 2005, but that doesn't warrant this sort of violence. The problem is that you can't really talk to these people, because they don't seem to have any interest in that sort of thing.

The "cause" of these riots is a deep-rooted problem with UK society going back many years now. Multiple factors and the general way society has evolved is what has contributed to this happening.

This is not a protest, it is not caused by the recession, its not caused by anything the current government in particular has done and its not caused by a so called lack of respect of the police. These are all factors, but not one of them is a cause on its own.

I think to put it very basically, the reason(s) these riots are going on is a complete failure of society to properly bring up and teach a generation of children combined with a "benefit culture" and a slow but steady loss of respect for the community, the police, the government and society in general.
As ever, it is a minority that is doing this, but a significant minority almost certainly from poorer backgrounds.

The general public's reaction to all this is one of complete disgust. Thankfully a lot of the public have been getting together to help clean up and repair the damage so all is not lost with society.

I don't think the Police are handling it very well due to (again) a variety of reasons, not least of which is because they are typically worried that if they act to harshly, they face major criticism. But also because they are completely under-resourced and not prepared for this kind of situation. I mean who is? This is really unthinkable stuff - for the youth of a nation to suddenly riot in the streets is almost unheard of I imagine! The Police appear to be stretched very thin and are limited to trying to contain the looting and violence but they are seemingly powerless to preventing the initial riots each night.

Another thing I fear at the moment is street warfare as the general public do not feel protected by the police and feel the need to defend themselves and their property.

I have to admit, I don't remember the 'LA riots' from the early 90s, but it seems like that. People fired up over something, the other people jumping on any excuse to be assholes. I understand protesting for a reason. I don't understand riots just to be shitheads.

Wasted The Great said:
I have to admit, I don't remember the 'LA riots' from the early 90s, but it seems like that. People fired up over something, the other people jumping on any excuse to be assholes. I understand protesting for a reason. I don't understand riots just to be shitheads.

Except here the cause is not this shooting. The cause is much bigger and broader than that. The shooting was merely a catalyst..much like Franz Ferdinand to WW1.
And while it is people jumping in just because they have nothing better to do, the "having nothing better to do" is one of the real reasons this has all started. This is a serious social problem that has been ignored or left to fester over the years.

This is unlike any other riot I've heard of because it is completely without reason and it has been caused by long-term problems with society - not by short-term problems such as recessions, war, governments, political decisions, police or whatever.

What they do is wrong, so punish them. But punishment alone is not going to help.

Ardius said:
the "having nothing better to do" is one of the real reasons this has all started.

Well said. I agree with Ardius' posts.

Politicians and media try to find a short explanation, but this whole thing is probably much more complex.
The feeling (deservedly so or not) that they have a lack of future surely plays a role here, and the cuts are not irrelevant either.

Black Wizard said:
3gQdM.jpg

Why would anyone loot from Poundland?

It gets worse, who steals Tesco's own brand Basmati rice???
article-0-0D5C421400000578-88_634x663.jpg

Ha ha, I saw that. There is a whole facebook group dedicated to that guy now. Idiot.

EDIT:

First person to be sentenced this morning for looting Richer Sounds, a 31-year-old TEACHER!!! Not just chavs and work-shy free-loaders then. What is the world coming to?

In other news David Cameron considers bringing out the big guns within 24 hours (water cannons that is).

And this really sickened me:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-14471405

Yeah that is sickening. What also sickened me was on BBC when some people bragged about what they had done! :eek: Really? They're proud of burning down a shop and ruining the life of an honest man trying to make a living?? Disgraceful  :mad:

Dr Sin said:
Yeah that is sickening. What also sickened me was on BBC when some people bragged about what they had done! :eek: Really? They're proud of burning down a shop and ruining the life of an honest man trying to make a living?? Disgraceful  :mad:

"'cos theyre rich people init?"

The cmparison to the LA riots is apt, the police were found not guilty in the Ridney King beatings and riots ensued (I am sure at least some people were there at first just to protest the verdict) and the area got worse after these riots.  People can complain about "big business", but after you loot and burn down stores, those businesses leave and take their jobs and services with them.  East Los Angeles lost a ton of grocery stores and shops after the riots ... I would suspect similar thinkgs will happen in some of these places in the UK and the general residents will suffer from lost jobs to having to go miles to buy food and medicine.

The people who are burning down buildings and stealing are flat out thugs and should be treated as such when they aer caught.  The government needs to lock as many of these people up for as long as possible for this.

I don't want to sound like average communist propaganda, but I really think people should stand up against capitalism, in combat if needed. However, I really don't have anything against people who're rich and doing well, that never stole anything from anyone or made their way up over human lives and stuff like that - on the contrary, I want to be one of those, too. So I call this rioting a plain bullshit hooliganism. Rioting against the system? Fine. Let's assault a bank, or a major pharmaceutical corporation. Ah, those have private security force on bill, that'll use guns without hesitating. So we go and wreck havoc on our local video store. Well, that's very brave, ain't it? Idiots.

A larger Police presence in London seemed to stem the tide of problems in the capital. I have to say that this could be a defining moment of Cameron's premiership. If he deals with this properly, he will gain respect. If he doesn't, the Tories will be left high and dry for some time.

And despite what some people are saying (Ken Livingston said its about the cuts! No surprise there, then) I'm pleased most people are seeing it for what it really is - just plain old thuggery.

Yea I am not sure it has much to do with cuts. Some idiot was just on BBC news saying the reason he is looting is because of Polish people taking all their jobs. Just an example of the 'cut-and-paste' type of excuse people are using. The reason we employ Polish people is because they make much better and harder workers than these lazy, low-life scum who are probably all too happy to stroll down to the doll office every month anyway. 

The real reason for all this mess:

After the initial peaceful protest that turned into riots people realised how easy it was to loot and damage in large groups. They realised how powerless the police are against large mobile groups and  hence lowlifes from other cities followed suit. Imagine you are in a group of 20-40 police officers facing up to 200 fearless thugs. It is an impossible situation (without the water cannons and rubber bullets they are now considering, that is).

So the real problem is why do our cities have so many of these  immoral, uneducated and heartless scum willing to cause such mayhem? 

I read there were 1700 arrests so far, I am sure some of these people will have some sort of sob story ... but I hope the justice system does them no favors and prosecutes them to the fullest.

Black Wizard said:
Very funny. :lol:

Question Time was somewhat amusing on Thursday. An Anglican bishop said he doesn't approve of vigilantes roaming the streets but if David Davis (Conservative MP) were too come into his house an endanger his family then he has a cricket bat with which he can hit very hard. :ok:

Haha! Did not see that.

Has anyone seen David Starkey's take on this whole issue:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14513517

His views have the potential to cause some serious offence, but he doesn't seem to care.

Back