Caveman's Diary

macunaima

Trooper
Posted today on Kevin Shirley's website:

Greetings from Eddie Central! Some thumbnails from the Iron Maiden sessions in London. Jann, Ed and Nicko above, listening to a song! + It's going REALLY great!!!! I've never been part of a more fun Maiden session - lots of laughing and we've cut eight tracks in the first week - and they're stunning! Heavy, and more proggy than recently - but also more GROOVE than I've heard in a long time! Super strong material - and it sounds heavy as hell!!!! Awesome! And that's about as much as I can reveal - I hope you like these fun pix from the studio. Ooooer!! K [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Pictures here:

http://www.cavemanproductions.com/cavediary.htm

I like the sound of this. More proggy, more heavy, and with a strong GROOVE! Sounds like Chemical Wedding. ::

Heavy, proggy and with a strong groove? That's the attributes I would give the recent Deep Purple albums. If that fits the thing, the album can only be great!

[!--quoteo(post=131421:date=Mar 10 2006, 01:40 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Mar 10 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]131421[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Heavy, proggy and with a strong groove? That's the attributes I would give the recent Deep Purple albums. If that fits the thing, the album can only be great!
[/quote]
Lets hope the album is more Deep Purple and less Pantera. I like progression and all, but this "groove" sound frightens me :: Maybe Bruce has a firm hand on the songwriting and the album will be a bit more like his solo work? Let's hope they don't pander to a metalcore dominated scene (not that I would suggest that Maiden would ever sell out) [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=131426:date=Mar 10 2006, 03:51 PM:name=Parmenion)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Parmenion @ Mar 10 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]131426[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I definitely like the sound of 'groove' and 'heavy'!
[/quote]

This sounds VERY promising! Groove is something I missed quite often in Maiden songs lately.

More proggy? I fucking hope not. it's proggy enough with their 8 minute songs without going on for 10 mins per song. It's not Dream Theatre.

[!--quoteo(post=131436:date=Mar 10 2006, 10:12 AM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 10 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]131436[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
... this "groove" sound frightens me ::
[/quote]
"Groove" can mean many different feels; it usually refers to a strong beat with a dominant bassline that is repetitive in nature and makes your booty move. To me, this sounds great (as long as it's not too repetitive).

[!--quoteo(post=131455:date=Mar 10 2006, 11:40 AM:name=Real World)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Real World @ Mar 10 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]131455[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
More proggy? I fucking hope not. it's proggy enough with their 8 minute songs without going on for 10 mins per song. It's not Dream Theatre.
[/quote]
My opinion is the polar opposite. 8 minutes is the minimum length for a decent song; anything over 10 is even better. (Again, this assumes the length is not created by excessive repetition.) And yes, I love Dream Theater. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=131456:date=Mar 10 2006, 06:48 PM:name=SinisterMinisterX)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Mar 10 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]131456[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
"Groove" can mean many different feels; it usually refers to a strong beat with a dominant bassline that is repetitive in nature and makes your booty move. To me, this sounds great (as long as it's not too repetitive).
[/quote]
That's why I said "more Deep Purple and less Pantera".
I think we are reading into this statement too much. it is the first week of recording and we fear Maiden are going to release a complex Dream Theater style album? Let's just let the guys get on with their work. They have rarely (or never) let us down in the past [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=131456:date=Mar 10 2006, 01:48 PM:name=SinisterMinisterX)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Mar 10 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]131456[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
My opinion is the polar opposite. 8 minutes is the minimum length for a decent song; anything over 10 is even better. (Again, this assumes the length is not created by excessive repetition.) And yes, I love Dream Theater. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]
[/quote]

Ditto. Fucking ditto.

[!--quoteo(post=131608:date=Mar 11 2006, 10:58 PM:name=Shadow)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Mar 11 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]131608[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I share Ross Halfin's view on this entry:

Bored today, I even read Kevin Shirley's highly uninteresting diary which tells you nothing about the new Maiden record - he must be scared of Maiden's manager, Merck Mercuriadis... Kevin's posted some studio photos which are fascinating...

http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/diary/march-20...march-2006.html
[/quote]

I see, Ross is being his usual charming self again.

[!--quoteo(post=131458:date=Mar 10 2006, 11:52 AM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 10 2006, 11:52 AM) [snapback]131458[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
...it is the first week of recording and we fear Maiden are going to release a complex Dream Theater style album?
[/quote]
Change "fear" into "hope" and you've got it right! ::

[!--quoteo(post=131612:date=Mar 11 2006, 04:02 PM:name=SinisterMinisterX)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Mar 11 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]131612[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Change "fear" into "hope" and you've got it right! ::
[/quote]
Agreed.

Dream Theater [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

Maiden + Dream Theater-ish sound [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /] [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /] [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

I always thought Halfin himself has not much to say in his own diaries. His photos are nice but that's it.

On his site, Kevin Shirley says he just wrote a studio diary entry that is to appear on the Iron Maiden website -- presumably only for the benefit of members of the Online Club (or whatever it's called). Is anyone here a member? Can you tell us what he said? Even better, can you cut and paste it here?

[!--quoteo(post=132663:date=Mar 21 2006, 03:23 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Mar 21 2006, 03:23 PM) [snapback]132663[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Do we really care?
[/quote]

Obviously, I can speak only for myself, but yes, I am interested in what the new album is going to sound like. This is an Iron Maiden MB isn't it? People are generally interested in what the band is up to musically speaking aren't they? But then again, you are a prick aren't you?

You might tell me to just wait until its finished and available in stores to find out what it sounds like. Well, I agree to a certain extent. I'm not going to put too much effort into finding out what's going on in the studio and what kind of music they are recording. It's not that important for me to find out what the album sounds like before it's finished. But if someone has the information and is willing to share it, I would be interested, and I would take the time to read it.

I only regret that I took the time out of my day to answer your ignorant and obnoxious post.

[!--quoteo(post=132665:date=Mar 21 2006, 09:25 PM:name=macunaima)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Mar 21 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]132665[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I only regret that I took the time out of my day to answer your ignorant and obnoxious post.
[/quote]
:: Hail to the rebel!
(prepares for a booting session)

[!--quoteo(post=132665:date=Mar 21 2006, 10:25 PM:name=macunaima)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Mar 21 2006, 10:25 PM) [snapback]132665[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I only regret that I took the time out of my day to answer your ignorant and obnoxious post.
[/quote]
And I'm ever so grateful... Please keep it up. ::

Back