Candlemass

Chapter VI - An interesting twist of style, as I would classify this as more of a traditional metal album. Far more uptempo than the previous album or two. I really like the music on this one. I'm honestly glad to see Messiah gone, even if this guy (who I think is only here for one album?) is not amazing. He's fine. Solid record, I'd probably rank it somewhere equal or slightly above the previous two albums.

"Chapter VI" is an odd one out in their discography, but I find it very enjoyable nonetheless. Its highs are very high - "Where the Runes Still Speak" is a monster of a track, up there with the best Candlemass has ever made.

"Chapter VI" is an odd one out in their discography, but I find it very enjoyable nonetheless. Its highs are very high - "Where the Runes Still Speak" is a monster of a track, up there with the best Candlemass has ever made.
I quite like The Dying Illusion too.
Both of those tracks stood out to me, as well!

Dactylis Glomerata - This is so obviously something cobbled together from the scraps of a side project! The spacey, stonery changes are not to my liking. Moody, sure, but not doomy. I'm here for doomy. I don't love this vocalist either. "Dustflow" is a cool song and "Karthago" has some nice moments, though. Some nice lead guitar work here and there, but this will probably end up at the bottom of the list for me.

From the 13th Sun - I would say this is an improvement over the previous album, but it is just so dull. Starts off strong and really, really heavy, but quickly devolves into droning elevator metal. Apparently this is the same singer from the previous album, but he sounds radically different (and way too much like an Ozzy impersonator). If anything, this sounds like a jam band releasing a Sabbath-worship album. These two albums may never get another listen from me.

Last edited:
Candlemass - A nice return to form! The band sounds really rejuvenated here. Messiah is also much more palatable. First two tracks and Witches rule! Probably my second or third favorite so far.

King of The Grey Islands - I definitely like this new singer, though it's obvious the material wasn't written for him. It sounds like a band getting to know each other. Nothing bad about, I'll need to relisten to form a stronger opinion but I like it.

Death Magic Doom - Really good! Top tier, maybe. Robert Lowe has definitely slotted into his role and you can hear his more natural voice. Hammer of Doom and The Bleeding Baroness are up there with the absolute best Candlemass songs.

King of The Grey Islands - I definitely like this new singer, though it's obvious the material wasn't written for him. It sounds like a band getting to know each other. Nothing bad about, I'll need to relisten to form a stronger opinion but I like it.
You can also listen to the demos recorded with Mats Léven, who sounds much better than Lowe IMO.

Léven never struck me as a long-term solution for Candlemass, more like someone Edling knew who was reliable and didn't make any crazy demands. He did a decent job, and I do think he was the main factor in keeping the band together when Edling was ill, but I still prefer Lowe, and I think they did the right thing getting Längqvist back into the fold afterwards.

Death Thy Lover/House of Doom EPs - some really great songs! Death Thy Lover rules, Sleeping Giant is amazing, House of Doom also good. I don't think I love Mats Levin's voice with this band, though. He's good, but I'm undecided. His voice also feels like it's mixed rather low, which is a shame.

The Door to Doom - This album also rules. The return of Johan Längqvist is incredibly strong. First three tracks are amazing, the House of Doom remake is great, Black Trinity is cool...overall it's just a really good fucking metal album. I'm certainly no massive fanboy, but I feel like this would be a good final album. They even got Iommi to guest on a track about a killer Octopus, which feels like the pinnacle of their career and such a perfectly hilarious coda that I think they should just hang it up.

My overall thoughts on Candlemass...I've really enjoyed listening to them and I'll probably throw on a few albums every autumn for some good, doomy fun. I'm pretty positive that the two albums I'll listen to the most will be the first and the last (Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Door to Doom). I think Längqvist is simply the best vocalist for this band. The most technically talented? Nah. But he just fits. The Messiah Marcolin albums are next up, especially the 2005 s/t and Nightfall, with maybe a nod to the other two 80s albums (but I doubt it). I'd honestly probably rank them the same as the Lowe albums (especially Death Magic Doom and Psalms). I doubt I'll ever touch the 90s albums again.

I'm glad I listened to them, I enjoyed mostly everything. They're not inventive or diverse enough to ever become a favorite, but Candlemass gets a solid horns up in my book.

Back