Can Iron Maiden last forever

I don't think so.  Maiden isn't Maiden without Steve.  You could probably, in the end, replace anyone else, but once Steve's done, that's game over.  So, I would hope the band as-is remains together till they all decide to finish as a group.  I'll respect that decision when it happens.  I wouldn't want to see Maiden in 40 years with an entirely new cast.  It's just not right.

D&N said:
I hope I'M dead in 40 years.  :)

Thats only because in 40 years, the US will be out of oil, we'll be swallowed by a black hole that we created by accident at Cal Tech, and you'll have 20 grand kids with 40 great-grand kids.  ;)

I sincerely hope nothing like this will ever happen. I'd say when 'Arry, Dave and Nicko are out for one reason or the other, what's left is a cover band and should never ever be called Iron Maiden. The thought of five or six totally different people touring in 50 years under the name Iron Maiden, playing the same old songs and producing a new album every five years or so, disgusts me.

I hope 'Arry has the foresight to hang up his boots and enjoy retirement long before Maiden become a parody of themselves, and then I would be fine with the fact that Iron Maiden was no more active. I'd still have the albums and live DVDs to enjoy, as well as memories of the shows I've been to myself.

That being said, I hope their retirement is still plenty of years away  B)

Thats only because in 40 years, the US will be out of oil, we'll be swallowed by a black hole that we created by accident at Cal Tech, and you'll have 20 grand kids with 40 great-grand kids.

Exactly!

If Steve quits, it becomes a cover band.  I think it's as simple as that.

To be honest, I don't think Maiden could survive another line-up change.  I think they'll all quit when one quits, but seemingly that's not going to happen quite yet.

Invader said:
If Steve quits, it becomes a cover band.  I think it's as simple as that.

To be honest, I don't think Maiden could survive another line-up change.  I think they'll all quit when one quits, but seemingly that's not going to happen quite yet.
I agree with you. Steve Harris is really the core of the whole band, and they can't really afford to drop anyone from the lineup, especially Bruce or Adrian.

No, Iron Maiden will not last forever. As much as I would have liked to see Bach live forever to keep on composing fabulous music, he didn't and nor is Maiden. It's a different thing altogether if someone would found a cover band that only plays Maiden and recruits new musicians to continue playing Maiden songs, much like an orchestra these days.

Natalie said:
No, Iron Maiden will not last forever. As much as I would have liked to see Bach live forever to keep on composing fabulous music, he didn't and nor is Maiden. It's a different thing altogether if someone would found a cover band that only plays Maiden and recruits new musicians to continue playing Maiden songs, much like an orchestra these days.
You're totally right. All in all though, that makes me said, I wish I could say that they would last forever, but I don't think that they will, well simply because everyone ages and eventually dies, but the music shall live on forever.

Haha, or the music will live as long as humans exist (which is almost certainly not forever).

rolpol said:
I just hope the end is planned and respectable and not through tragedy or lack of judgement...
Agreed. We don't want them outstaying their welcome.

Their music will live on for as long as people will be prepared to listen to it, but to ask that the name Iron Maiden to still be playing/recording beyond the lives of the current members is a bit silly, don't you think?

Albie said:
Agreed. We don't want them outstaying their welcome.

Their music will live on for as long as people will be prepared to listen to it, but to ask that the name Iron Maiden to still be playing/recording beyond the lives of the current members is a bit silly, don't you think?

I agree there, I don't think that they should continue without the current members.

Natalie said:
Haha, or the music will live as long as humans exist (which is almost certainly not forever).

Except for that which was played on radio waves-- that'll remain bouncing around the universe, so that some lizard people can hear it in the year 3000.

I think they should end when  one of the band members passes away. They are better than the sum of their parts, as Bruce and H's time away from the band has shown.

Back