Bruce's solo album opinons

He still does a lot in metal (I haven't heard of a 2010 production yet, though), but perhaps johnglen doesn't bother to check out all the other stuff.

Here a list.

Roy Z has made some great albums with Rob Rock too.Rage Of Creation and Sons Of thunder are great albums.It's not that he's good only when he's working with Bruce.
Btw there's no way AOB and TCW are overrated.

On the subject of Roy Z, Tribe of Gypsies is decent stuff if you're partial to some of that latin-style music mixed with rock. johnglen seems to have forgotten Judas Priest' Angel of Retribution too, which is one of my favourite albums to stick on to get through a bunch of work (if I'm in the mood for music while working).

As for Bruce albums, I'd probably say Accident of Birth is my fave too, though I do like Skunkworks a lot more these days. The weakest in my opinion is Tyranny of Souls, its one of the few albums with Bruce on that I feel has a lot of filler tracks. Not much of it really hits me like Tears of the Dragon, etc does.

As with generally all good music, some of the songs on each of the albums aren't done justice in studio form and sound far better live. When I think about it, not one song Bruce did live sounded worse than the studio version. I might go as far as saying I kind of wish someone like Kevin Shirley had produced all of Bruce's albums, I think they are mostly too "soft" sounding. After I watched the Bruce anthology DVD, it really gave a far better apprecation of almost all the songs.

At least none of it was as bad as The X Factor's production though.....forever ruined and therefore under-appreciated (when compared to the live sound of the same tracks with Blaze or even with Bruce).

Yeah I forgot about Tribe of Gypies.I've only listened to one of their albums -Dweller on the Threshold- and I find their music really good.
Songs like Halos, After the Summer or Hands to Eternity can easily be called hidden gems.

As for TOS the only songs I think as fillers are the intro and Believil.But it's a short record and it counts a lot.

I am absolutely in love with Skunkworks and think it's the best of his solo albums from start to finish. I love Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding, but give me Skunkworks any day. That guitar tone is my favorite in the whole world, and the only other time I've heard it used effectively is in my favorite album of all time, Ocean Machine by Devin Townsend (I dunno if it's the kind of stuff you'd guys like, but I just figured I'd name it for you).

I haven't heard 'Balls to Picasso' or 'Skunkworks' yet but I own the other four. The three most recent are all excellent in my opinion with a noticable increase in quality from one album to the next. 'Tattooed Millionaire' has a totally different sound to Iron Maiden or Bruce's three latest solo albums but it's a good fun album. All the songs on it are very listenable. I'd also recommend you buy his 'Anthology' DVD. :)

i think Tattooed Millionaire is an interesting venture out of metal and making more classic rock after being prompted in that direction by the movement in NPFTD and FOTD and i like the sound that comes out of it.
Balls to picasso gives me the only pleasure of tears of the dragon and falls short elsewhere and sounds a bit strange.
Then. Skunkworks which sounds brash and metally in part but i cant bring myself to call it metal. i cant put my finger on it but it sounds very overproduced and poppy in addition to metal and comes across as self indulgent in a way and i dont like. ive given it so many chances and the only song i enjoy a bit is dreamstate.
Accident of Birth is brilliant with as said before a more maidenesque sound with adrians return. Though i dont think H was the biggest impact on the change in Bruceys solo work. Some great heavy guitar work and emotion in the album and darkside of aquarius has an epic sound and for me the begining of the orchestral sound continued by the immaculate
Chemical Wedding which combines all his previous work and applies some of the more bizarre with the developing sound and creates what i do call an essential metal album despite it not being massively recieved at it release. everyone that matters understands once they give it a chance.
Finally id say Tyranny of souls is a step down but the title song is brilliant as well as navigate th seas of the sun serving as a calm and beautiful interlude for the tracklist... a surprise was the first-ish song abduction, with a very modern metal sound and a good mix of exploring the field. Fusion metal  :lol:

^ interesting quick review. Balls to picasso is Bruce´s experimental Peter Gabriel type moment, production is a bit flawed, yes, nonetheless there are some great songs on it. Skunkworks, well, I think I´ve stated my piece elsewhere.

Back