Bruce: "Tokyo Concert Filmed For Upcoming DVD"

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Thanks to that excellent metal news website:

According to Bruce, the Tokyo concert (Saturday, February 16) was filmed for an upcoming DVD.

Pretty cool news, though (from a personal point of view) I'd rather hoped that the last date was chosen.

He probably just means for the documentary.  As much as I can see Maiden filming a show with 4800 people with a small stage and an audience that merely politely claps...

I don't think he means a stand alone DVD.  That being said, I'd much prefer it to a Download DVD.

Strange to film a DVD at the smallest gig of the tour... Why not their hometown gig at the massive Twickenham stadium insteed!?!

Blabbermouth is not reliable.  Can anyone locate a video of Bruce saying such things?

GuineaPig said:
He probably just means for the documentary.  As much as I can see Maiden filming a show with 4800 people with a small stage and an audience that merely politely claps...

Firstly, enough with the outdated stereotypes.  Yes, Japanese fans may not be as crazy as those in say Brazil, but the crowds at both Japanese shows this tour were FAR from just "politely clapping".  Bruce said on stage at the Tokyo show that it was his favourite show in all his years of coming to Japan, due to the fact that the Makuhari Messe venue is all standing and the fans can get rowdy and sweaty.

Friday's show was the smaller one, only 4000 people at a very nice theatre-type venue in Yokohama, which was a wonderful rare opportunity to see the band in such an intimate venue.  Saturday's show was in a HUGE hall in the Makuhari Messe exibition centre complex, and it can hold around 10,000 people.

For what it's worth I feel that this is a non-story.  At no time on stage on Saturday did Bruce mention that they were filming it.  Nor did I see any extra cameras around the venue filming the guys on stage.  What I did see was Sam Dunn and co. filming some stuff for the documentary and I think that's just all this was.

However I do feel Japan is due a live DVD release as it would be something a little different from the usual, plus we've had many from Europe, South and North America, so it would be nice to have a documeny of a Japanese show.  Alas I son't think we'll be getting one from this tour. 

When it comes to Maiden, I think all crowds are equally enthusiastic. ;)

Maybe once Pittsburgh gets a new arena.  Mellon is a terrible venue for music acts.

If I can add anything to this thread.

I wasn't at the Tokyo concert.....was at Yokohama.  They had a few camera's set up but I would guess only for documentary purposes.  Nothing that would suggest a full concert DVD.  The Yokohama gig was excellent because the venue was so small......if only all Maiden gigs could be done this way.....took me back to the days when the biggest venue Maiden would play in the UK was the Hammersmith Odeon......now I'm letting on to my age.

I tend to agree with Yakulto.....this is probably an overstatement of the facts.  Still, a 'Live in Japan' DVD would be nice.  The fan base here hasn't really got any younger.....but they know how to scream when Bruce demands.

As for Maiden hitting the more (or less) out of the way spots.........we can all but hope.

I thought personally that the twickenham show would have been better as it is their first stadium show in england

still, any DVD from this tour will be awesome, based on footage i've seen so far (especially on the first australian date,)

Why does it matter so much?  First of all, one of the best concert albums of the last 10 years, Alive in Athens, was recorded in front of 8000 Greeks.  Then, let's look at full length concert releases:
Live After Death - North America
Live At Donington - Europe
A Real Live/Dead One - All Over Europe
Rock In Rio - South America
Death on the Road - Europe
Live At Download - Europe

Seems like an Asian release is due.

Regardless of the abosolutely mind blowing amazingness of AIA, the DVD was not spectacular (minus, of course, the performances).

I'd like a show in Scandinavia...

Seriously, at least some footage of one of the big Scandinavian gigs would be nice.  Preferably Helsinki as I'm going there (  :bigsmile: ), but any of them would be fine.

GuineaPig said:
As much as I can see Maiden filming a show with 4800 people with a small stage and an audience that merely politely claps...

Check out Dream Theater's Live At Budokan DVD. While the Japanese don't always go as crazy as Europeans or Americans, they certainly do more than "politely clap".

Furthermore, as has been noted by others, audience size is not related to concert quality. Remember the Abbey Road thing a few months ago? That was one of the best performances of Hallowed I've ever seen, and the audience size was zero.

Back