1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bruce Springsteen

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Navigators Ghost, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Hey guys

Couldn't see a thread on The Boss so thought I'd start one being 'obsessed' with both him and Maiden as my girlfriend says!

What's everyone's favourite song and why?

2. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

Not sure there is much love for him on here, but I've got a ton of respect for him.
    Total top of my head: The River, Atlantic City, the Rising.
    What a songwriter.

3. Ahh good choices. The River and Atlantic City are way up there for me.

Have you read his book?

4. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Apart from yours truly, IIRC @Black Bart was a fan.

My favourite album of his would be The Rising - I've even had this one as my avatar here several times.
    However, as a stand-alone song I probably like The River the most, because it has this really haunting atmosphere, it's filled with passion and it's catchy as cuss (even Bon Jovi had to borrow that melody :D )

Oh, and let's not miss the pic of The Boss in a drag :ninja:

[​IMG]

Black Bart likes this.
  5. Yeah the river is haunting, but for me point blank takes it for that atmosphere.

How do I not know about this picture?! haha

6. JudasMyGuide

'Cause it's not him - that's Vincent Cassel in Elizabeth (1998). :D But it was a "double take" moment.

7. Ahhhh now i'm looking at it full size I can tell :facepalm:

You got me!!

8. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Where's that?

9. JudasMyGuide

10. Darkness On The Edge Of Town.

Navigators Ghost likes this.
  11. Anyone seen him live?

12. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Well spotted @JudasMyGuide, never heard it, because apart from it it's a very different song.

Saw Springsteen with the E-Street band once, but was disappointed, because of too many instruments playing too much all the time, no dynamics, which made every song in the whole long show sound the same, just boring -- plus, the drummer (Max Weinberg) sucks (sorry). It didn't help that the venue had terrible acoustics.
    But I'd call myself a Springsteen fan, because he writes great songs, does great projects and I admire the personality in what he does. I just prefer his a bit more obscure acoustic projects, like Tom Joad or the Seeger Sessions, they generally suit him better imo.

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  13. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

At first, I thought it was a screenshot of Blackadder (Queenie in season 2...except Miranda Richardson is hot)! :D

I love Bruce, of course, and "The River" is one of my favorite songs. In terms of atmosphere, I also crave "The Ghost of Tom Joad". ;)
    I was lucky enough to see him live once, in 2009 at the French "Vieilles Charrues" summer festival.
    And the book is a must-read. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  14. Tom Joad with Tom Morrello kicks ass. I saw him live at Wembley on the River anniversary tour and not ashamed to say I cried my eyes out during point blank... was going through an awful break up.

15. mckindog

It was actually the most recent book I read. Really enjoyed it, particularly the first half.
    Like so many artists I respect, singularly devoted and uncompromising.

Also helped me realize, even though I haven't practiced since I was a kid, how shaped I am by the mythmaking of Catholicism.
    Frodo's journey in LOT, the protagonist in The Rising - those very Catholic stories touch me to the core as their Catholic upbringing clearly influenced Tolkien and Springsteen.

The lyrics of the Rising are among the best ever composed.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  16. I feel the same - brought up in part by my Irish grandparents who were devout Catholics has made me become an adult with a sense of 'Catholic guilt' for want me f a better term and as I'm nearing the end of my 20's I'm realising that my ethics and values although not religious are remarkably Catholic in nature

17. mckindog

So good.

18. I hope I get to see him one more time!!

19. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

He is not called The Boss for no reason (TM).
    Hes a class act. Yet to see him live.

Navigators Ghost likes this.
  20. Him and Maiden, best acts I've ever seen live