Bruce Dickinson

I recently watched this long interview about Tyranny of souls that Bruce gave back in 2005 when the album was released. I suppose the video has been posted here already. How passionate about music and conscious of his own songwriting talents he was back in the days! And so much praise for Roy Z! I wish we get the chance to hear these new songs they have worked on.

I'm afraid that answer for the delay is right there... 17:20

Ah, excellent news. A great excuse to listen to the entirety of Scream for Me Brazil on this fine Friday afternoon while drinking beer. My neighbors love me! Happy birthday Bruce.

It was also really fucking hot that day though, so not that different from now.
But the thing is we now have "social distancing" to contend with - will we ever be allowed to congregate in huge crowds like that again, in close-packed standing-only space right in front of the stage? The government seems to get twitchy at the very suggestion. I rather feel it would be difficult to give Maiden the response they deserve if we are forced to be socially-distanced and sitting down throughout, for example.

If you look at it objectively, the whole tour circuit is fucking insane. Bands traveling all over the world, spreading whatever they happened to be carrying from one corner of the world to the next, massive crowds in intensely close contact with spit and sweat flying everywhere, poor personal hygiene (especially at festivals), lots of and lots of people from all over coming in and bringing their own little petri dish along, etc.

COVID might just be the wake-up call we needed to realize that this shit just isn't sustainable even if the ecological concerns of moving an enterprise as massive as Maiden's all over the globe on tour are ignored. What happens when the next big pandemic hits? What if it's a more deadly variety? Is touring really sustainable or honestly even sane when we can instantly connect the whole globe through an internet broadcast? I think we're definitely going to see these conversations happening and different entities will come to different conclusions, but even still one thing's for sure: the world ain't gonna be the same after corona.

If you look at it objectively, the whole tour circuit is fucking insane. Bands traveling all over the world, spreading whatever they happened to be carrying from one corner of the world to the next, massive crowds in intensely close contact with spit and sweat flying everywhere, poor personal hygiene (especially at festivals), lots of and lots of people from all over coming in and bringing their own little petri dish along, etc.

COVID might just be the wake-up call we needed to realize that this shit just isn't sustainable even if the ecological concerns of moving an enterprise as massive as Maiden's all over the globe on tour are ignored. What happens when the next big pandemic hits? What if it's a more deadly variety? Is touring really sustainable or honestly even sane when we can instantly connect the whole globe through an internet broadcast? I think we're definitely going to see these conversations happening and different entities will come to different conclusions, but even still one thing's for sure: the world ain't gonna be the same after corona.
A very blunt and true post. I have a number of friends who are touring musicians and they have been out of work since March. I can’t see how things are going to get better. The issue is what happens to up and coming musicians? What is the incentive to make music and to have a career if you can’t perform live? You can’t make much money off streaming.

No more live music and the world is seriously diminished. And how long has the world gone on now without anything like this happening, ever? And when it finally did happen it did its thing without touring musicians and their audiences being a significant contributing factor. Certainly everyone will have to take personal hygiene a lot more seriously from now on but most stuff will eventually go back to some semblance of normality - it's got to.

All I know is that Bruce had better be releasing his solo album by the end of this COVID businesss, because he’s completely out of excuses for not finishing it.

All I know is that Bruce had better be releasing his solo album by the end of this COVID businesss, because he’s completely out of excuses for not finishing it.
Excuses and excuses... I don't think he really cares about releasing it. Almost seems like it's just Roy Z that's going "Bruce, Bruce, Bruce, when do we do a new record? Bruce??" And then Bruce says "Sure, let's do that. Send some some great ideas and then we can have a chat".

Bruce thinks nothing of it, believing to have shut that irritating wasp down. I mean, Z's got to realize by his lack of enthusiasm, that Bruce doesn't really care. Right? Satisfied with the encounter, Bruce heads back to his girlfriend, just wanting some peace and quiet. Until he checks his phone and finds 15 texts from Roy Z, all sent within an hour of their conversation.

Having never seen Bruce solo live, I'm more interested in an album being an excuse to tour, and in the current climate that's not possible, so if the album is delayed long enough until gigs are back I'd be happy with that.

Back