Bruce Dickinson

Yeah I dunno where the sudden expectation that Maiden will change their style of recording comes from, considering how they haven't (or more like Steve hasn't) changed their style of production either. If they record a new album then you can bet on it they will be together, at the studio, at the same time, performing songs live and then maybe doing some overdubs for vocals, guitar solos and such later. Expecting anything else is fantasy.

New interview with Bruce

About the vocal recordings of the new album - he said that he build up to it and with each sessions the voice get stronger. I'm not sure if I got it right, but it seems he recorded the vocals parts for different songs in different days and in parts; one day for the calm stuff, other day for the high vocals.
He thinks this album has some of the most varied and emotional vocals he's ever put out, that comes with age and confidence. The important thing for him is always what serves the song. He likes to use high and calm vocals in a song (he gave Strange Death In Paradise as an example). Things he's learned over the years and mostly from the Skunkworks album. He also likes an album to have a series of stories.

For the lyrics, he tries to make the words he used to sound good when he sings them, but they don't always. The music for him is the canvas for the vocals.

He has an amazing band and they sound amazing.
Didn’t Roy Z give the same analogy about the canvas for Bruce’s vocals?

So, that means that he can do the stuff in separate days or separately from Maiden (and from Roy Z that is working nowadays on the new Bruce solo tracks while remixing the first Bruce solo albums)... So, why not imagine that Adrian is now in Paris to work on some new Maiden songs with Bruce and while Bruce will be touring with his solo band, the rest of Maiden clan will come in Paris to work and record the instrumental parts of new songs while Bruce will be busy touring and when he will be back from touring and in Paris in late july, he will record his vocal parts to the new Maiden stuff, then rejoin the band in Australia for the rehearsals. In Sydney, then meeting Kevin Shirly with the rest of the band to talk about the mixing and the mastering of the 18th studio album and then release this new record between march and june next year ? ;)

Is it so impossible to imagine Maiden working like that for once ? :innocent:
You’re French and now I’m beginning to think you’re hinting at something here. What do you know?

Is it so impossible to imagine Maiden working like that for once ? :innocent:
It absolutely is. For the last quarter of a century they've found a way of recording albums that works for them. They aren't gonna change it now that they're getting close to their 70s. Even the way they write music has changed. They don't have finished songs before entering the studio, so what you're asking for is quite literally impossible. Steve assembles the songs while in the studio. The only one who might have a finished song, or an almost finished one, is Adrian.
Is it impossible for the next Maiden album to exclusively feature harshed vocals like the ones heard on the outro of Afterglow? Technically it's possible, practically impossible though.

He thinks this album has some of the most varied and emotional vocals he's ever put out, that comes with age and confidence.
That's a weird way to spell Brave New World :lol:

Is it so impossible to imagine Maiden working like that for once ?
That's because that's not Maiden's way of doing things. There are some other differences - Bruce already had recorded vocals from previous writing sessions, he writes and records faster than with Maiden, and in Maiden the instrumental sections are much more prominent and complex, whereas in his solo career it all starts and is centered around the vocals, which is expected. He needs the music to fit them, in Maiden it's more the opposite. And Roy seems to be full of ideas, not that Maiden aren't, especially Steve and Adrian.

I'm sure for his next solo album he will use recorded vocals from past writing sessions again.
For a while I have sort of been leaning towards Maiden not making more studio albums and I am even more sure of that now. Of course they could still surprise us.
Bruce's solo activities starting from this year will really take up time a lot of studio time with Maiden. I really thought Maiden would release another album sooner this time, but it seems the band wants to prioritize touring. But you know, the 5-years plan, 2026 after the tour, why not. They have plans until then. If it's a Hits tour (most likely), I doubt in 2027 (with fewer shows) they will do another one and just play the hits. It's perfect to celebrate 50 years with a new album. But the band doesn't want to think that far ahead, which is understandable. With Bruce's solo stuff, everything is easier.

I would like Maiden to do one more album at least, before contemplating retirement. Bruce's solo career can exist in parallel, they can only be mutually beneficial.

Retirement for any band is always contentious, as members get older and some may wish to stop touring either due to age or ill health. Priest are still touring albeit without KK and Tipton, and Saxon have lost both of their regular guitarists as well.

Would I want to see Maiden without Dave Murray? Probably not, but as long as Steve Harris is there an argument can be made that is is "still Maiden."

I can't see them bringing Blaze back anytime soon..... but bands like WASP and Megadeth continue to tour with only Lawless and Mustaine as long term members. I hope Maiden stop a bit before then, tbh.

I would like Maiden to do one more album at least, before contemplating retirement. Bruce's solo career can exist in parallel, they can only be mutually beneficial.

Retirement for any band is always contentious, as members get older and some may wish to stop touring either due to age or ill health. Priest are still touring albeit without KK and Tipton, and Saxon have lost both of their regular guitarists as well.

Would I want to see Maiden without Dave Murray? Probably not, but as long as Steve Harris is there an argument can be made that is is "still Maiden."

I can't see them bringing Blaze back anytime soon..... but bands like WASP and Megadeth continue to tour with only Lawless and Mustaine as long term members. I hope Maiden stop a bit before then, tbh.
Without Steve there's no Maiden so that leaves Bruce, Adrian, and Dave that I would hate to not see up there. As much as I love Nicko I would be okay with another drummer. I also like Jan but would hurt less than missing Dave or Adrian.

Bruce explaining in this video that there will be something special for 'Piece Of Mind' anniversary in addition to the POM comics : a video... Of what ? A new DVD for Dortmund 1983 or something ?
New album Piece of Mind II would be really special (or they might call it Peace of Mind) All other options are useless, unless they will play whole album Live. Just imagine the sheer greatness of Quest For Fire* LIVE! :rocker:

* Eddie chased by dinosaur on the stage. OMG.

Back