Bruce Dickinson

did you notice chance to win test pressings?
Well I pre-ordered the CD on the 1st of December itself. Let’s see now. Fingers crossed

Video was alright, song was okay, but I'm getting increasingly confused on the insistence on touring with one guitar when apparently even the new material makes heavy use of multiple; see Roy's solo section in this one. The keys are already doing something else behind the guitars so I don't accept that excuse outright.

Video was alright, song was okay, but I'm getting increasingly confused on the insistence on touring with one guitar when apparently even the new material makes heavy use of multiple; see Roy's solo section in this one. The keys are already doing something else behind the guitars so I don't accept that excuse outright.
It's cheaper. Everything else is just rationalizations.

…Roy's solo is very cool (some Adrian vibe to it); it's a double solo, classic Roy. ….
I didn't perceive it as very original or typical in terms of note selection, development, tone. Maybe because of the vibe of another guitarist as mentioned here?

Doesn’t matter, Bruce will be filling out the sound by talking over the solos anyway.

I'd like to know when the vocals for Rain were recorded? In the last years or maybe a decade ago or so, maybe someone here could tell somethibg about?

Listening to it on Apple Music this morning, I like Rain of the Graves slightly better without the video. But only slightly. I liked Afterglow much more. If AoR is a solid 7, this one is sitting at like a 5.

The spoken vocals almost feel like something straight out of Shoot All the Clowns although perhaps slightly less rappy. Did not expect that kind of approach again.

I'm still looking forward to the record of course, but I agree with something I read elsewhere - the most unfortunate part of The Mandrake Project is that we had to wait 19 years for it. Almost nothing is going to live up to 19 years of expectations and hype, particularly when the bar was set so high on previous records.

I'd like to know when the vocals for Rain were recorded? In the last years or maybe a decade ago or so, maybe someone here could tell somethibg about?
Wasn't that one of the songs (just like Afterglow Of Ragnarok) that was only written in 2022? That would mean the vocals were recorded sometime in the last two years. Even without that info his timbre in the verses is the same as the one on Senjutsu, so the earliest these vocals could've been recorded is 2019 in my opinion.

After a few listens I can accept/appreciate this song. Some positive thoughts: overall, I like guitar sound; keyboards/organs fits this song, enhances it's impact; Roy's solo is very good, reminds me of TCW era. I like theatrics of it all. I like the video.

Negative: chorus part It's just rain, rain, rain to me seems melodically not fitting/not fully fleshed out. This song been in the making for many years... and I don't like it's ending. Fade-out type songs - no matter what band - to me always reeks laziness and unfinishedness even if song is great.

Overall 7.5/10
...and yeah that chugging guitar rhythm part is straight out from The Green Manalishi.
I appreciate the different nature (and after more listens), it's just not my thing. I can't like it enough, I can enjoy it, but still. The chorus is really effective, the riff is solid, but I think it's the weakest single of Bruce. Rating is 5-6/10 at most. I prefer something different like Priest latest single, for example. Bruce should have delivered better with the 2nd single, with something classic for him.

This time the song doesn't have enough interesting parts and is masked with heavy repetition and keys. Unlike Ragnarok imo. It makes even a song like ''Believil'' stand out (I never thought I'd say that). There are also some issues with the vocals mix here and there and Roy's double solo sounds odd now. It's underwhelming and disappointing, because of their talent and especially because the song was in the works since 2014! Albeit created different on purpose. It's a lazy song for Bruce's standards. So far, it feels that maybe because of the long process with the album, Roy and Bruce just wanted to finally finish it without more deep thought. Why would they record it when Roy had a problem? I hope I'm wrong.

They keys/organs fits, but it also sounds a bit empty and lazy. Like chorus lyrics (Bruce had plenty of time to change them). The ''rain, rain, rain'' part is not bad imo. The chorus is:

There is rain on the graves
It's just rain, rain, rain
But you came to be saved
Let it wash your soul of dying

He could have cutted some of the repetition. One of the first 3 lines for the 6th line.

If I have to be honest, it would have been a nice bonus song - and I bet the song called Nightmares is much much better. I hope we find out someday.

What I would have done - verses & outro/ending like Priest's Evil Never Dies (both songs have a similar vibe), calm middle part before the solo like Priest's Sword Of Damocles (something along those lines) and chorus like Maiden's Days Of Future Past. There, I said it.
I’m also thinking long term here. If Maiden comes to an end and Bruce starts releasing albums with songs like this every few years, would I be happy? Yeah. He’s got nothing left to prove so he dabbles in whatever ideas he may have, and I’m digging it so far. Not on a TCW level maybe but we’re in a different era for solo Bruce anyway.
No matter what, I will always want Bruce to create songs like his classic solo style - and Maiden's style. Songs like Rain, no thanks.
It's a different era for his solo music, but I think he gets carried away with experimentation (again). Steve knows better for Maiden. You use such heavy riffs and make such a different and atypical song for them...? And Roy said that he wanted to go beyond the sound of TCW?

If I have to be honest, it would have been a nice bonus song - and I bet the song called Nightmares is much much better. I hope we find out someday.
--
No matter what, I will always want Bruce to create songs like his classic solo style - and Maiden's style. Songs like Rain, no thanks.
It's a different era for his solo music, but I think he gets carried away with experimentation (again). Steve knows better for Maiden. You use such heavy riffs and make such a different and atypical song for them...? And Roy said that he wanted to go beyond the sound of TCW?

Based on the title and the fact that Steve was interested on it? I mean, a lot of people expected something completely different from Rain on the Graves as well, based on the interviews and sheer title of the track (which is very cool indeed). For all we know, Nightmares may, or may not be, totally reworked into a different song altogether already or maybe it's just not anything special. Or maybe it is, who knows... The point being, curious as I'd be to find that out, it's pure speculation at this point indeed. :D

I think it's just cool that Bruce experiments different things. Not all of them might work, but I wouldn't say trying different things that you find inspiring is getting carried away just because others want something more traditional. I'm not saying Rain on the Graves is the most successful attempt at any rate, as much I've loved the song so far, but...

The two singles we've got so far, while sharing a few elements when it comes to the mix and such, have been quite different from each other, so for all we know, some of the stuff on the album might very well go "beyond" The Chemical Wedding indeed; most likely not in terms of quality as we find it, but the boldness of the execution and arrangements.

Just my two cents! :)

Back