Bruce Dickinson

Not bad, need to give it some more listens.
Video is absolute cheese, and I'm definitely getting the vibe that Bruce thinks his whole story/movie/comic is much better than it actually is but frankly I'm cool with whatever he enjoys stretching his creative legs with.

I'm not too fond of the mix, which is surprising as I normally really like Josh Wilburs work.

The IESF demo is interesting. (thanks Wickerman1204!) Very similar to the final Maiden version, but they definitely did a great job of taking a solid idea and sprinkling all the Maiden magic over it.

Music video was absolute shit! Don't care, the song is fantastic.
This, in a sense, encapsulates metal music videos very well. It's almost like a requirement that the video has to be cheesy and "so bad it's good" territory lol

Edit: Yeah, as for IESF it's basically 99% the same as the Maiden version, minus one verse and some of the lyrics having changed slightly. I'll have to listen to it a few more times, because I could swear some of those vocal takes are identical to the TBOS version. Either that, or Bruce was incredibly consistent when he recorded them back then. Maybe my mind's playing tricks though.

At the end of the credits, we read

Tereba Nessa, Comero Weeth Onen Hag All
Which is cornish for
Take Care, Until Next Time, One and All (One and All is Cornwell's motto)

We also read in inverted letters
Bruce Dickinson will return

It's... interesting. For whatever reason it was already up on Apple Music before the video premiered despite the listed release date being 2 Dec, but I had another go at it with the video just now and I think it's okay. On my first listen it felt incredibly disjointed at times, like they forgot to add transitions but watching the video it didn't bother me anymore.

Production isn't really much of a step above some of Maiden's recent stuff. Sure it's cleaner, but the guitars are a bit thin and the drum sound is just so fake and weird that it puts me off. I wasn't expecting anything else since I always felt ToS was a downgrade from TCW on that front but it's still a bit of a shame.

Production isn't really much of a step above some of Maiden's recent stuff. Sure it's cleaner, but the guitars are a bit thin and the drum sound is just so fake and weird that it puts me off. I wasn't expecting anything else since I always felt ToS was a downgrade from TCW on that front but it's still a bit of a shame.
The production of the new song (and of the new album) is worse than on Tyranny Of Souls. Imho, I'll still prefer this record to the new one for a lot of reasons, especially the Iron Maiden and real Bruce Dickinson sounding songs. Afterglow Of Ragnarok and, I think, the other songs on the Mandrake Project album will sound too modern for me and not enough traditional metal for me.

Okay IESF confuses me. I knew the intro would be more or less the same (wow, those post-production tweaks helped it a fucking ton on the album version, thank God they didn't pull a Satellite 15 this time and literally use the demo as-is) but I'm pretty goddamn sure a bunch of the vocal takes are literally the same ones that are on TBOS. What the fuck? That's weird!

I like the single and can't wait for the full album. The only negative I can think of is that I wish Book Of Souls and Senjutsu had this producer. I can actually understand every word Bruce is singing because it doesn't sound like my speakers are at the bottom of a swimming pool three miles away.

Wow, that video was pure cheese! Pretty embarrassing! I bet Leah and the guy end up having sex at some point in the graphic novels that have been created for this project.

Song is OK and the chorus is quite nice; it is quite nice to hear Bruce’s soaring voice (not so much seeing his “acting” :lol: ).

I am a big fan of the production work Roy Z did in the late 90s/early 00s, but I think this is a step down. In particular, I do not like the drums at all. Bruce Dickinson solo albums sounded special when he did not have a metal drummer (I love Dave Ingraham’s groove, Alex Elena was great too). In this song we get generic uninspired metal drumming that sounds like run-of-the-mill-metal drumming.

Last edited:
Back