Bruce Dickinson

What I think he means is, it's a weird key, as in too high key, relative to the vocal lines.
Maybe I'm being too pendantic about this, but I'm pretty sure Bruce knows enough about music to be a bit more specific with his language. He could say it's about the register instead of saying key, since the latter includes everything from extreme low notes to piercing high notes; that's how keys work. Maybe he feels that if he pointed out the register being the issue, that it would sound more as if the blame is on him for not being able to sing Steve's insanely challenging vocal lines, while saying "it's the key of the song" shifts the blame (for lack of a better word). It's not really that important anyway. I love that song but Bruce is correct that it was borderline unsingeable when he was still in his 20's, let alone nowadays.

Maybe I'm being too pendantic about this, but I'm pretty sure Bruce knows enough about music to be a bit more specific with his language.
Not sure how Bruce can be simultaneously knowledgeable enough and too ignorant in this case. If he is versed enough in theory and terminology then he wouldn't talk about e-minor as a weird key, ergo he probably isn't very versed in theory and terminology. Pretty sure he once said he couldn't name the notes (the intervals or the notes, whatever he meant, in a given key) in a pentatonic scale.

Not sure how Bruce can be simultaneously knowledgeable enough and too ignorant in this case. If he is versed enough in theory and terminology then he wouldn't talk about e-minor as a weird key, ergo he probably isn't very versed in theory and terminology. Pretty sure he once said he couldn't name the notes (the intervals or the notes, whatever he meant, in a given key) in a pentatonic scale.
Yes, he said that recently, but I also believe he was lying and playing the "I'm so clueless about music theory, I just play around" card. You don't work for more than 4 decades in music without picking up the basics.

I think by "unsingable" he means it's hard to get in the headspace to provide the drama and emotion when they lyrics are "in a time when dinosaurs walked the earth"

That might be true, but then he wouldn't have mentioned the key of the song. QFF's verses have the same issues as the final vocal lines in Total Eclipse: Incredibly impressive what notes and pitches Bruce managed to hit, sounds completely unmusical due to the incoherent vocal line written by Steve.

Last edited:
That might be true, but then he wouldn't have mentioned the key of the song. QFF verse have the same issues as the final vocal lines in Total Eclipse: Incredibly impressive what notes and pitches Bruce managed to hit, sounds completely unmusical due to the incoherent vocal line written by Steve.
I kinda disagree to when you compared QFF to Total Eclipse. Vocally & musically I think Total Eclipse is a million miles ahead of Quest for Fire. The last “Gone are the days, when men looked down” was sung super well and yeah it might seem quite unprecedented after the mid-section but I think it fits well.

I think by "unsingable" he means it's hard to get in the headspace to provide the drama and emotion when they lyrics are "in a time when dinosaurs walked the earth"
That doesn't match the context of the interview question though. It was about which one was the most technically demanding song to sing in the studio.

Back