Bruce Dickinson Survivor 2012, Results thread - Joint Winners!

Satisfied with the results?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
Whoa! Plot twist!

I'm satisfied with the joint victory. Those are two of Bruce's finest tunes, and though one of them is controversial, even it deserves its placing, imo. There are a lot of songs that I would've been fine with hitting #1. I voted against Thel for a long time, but if it had won, I would've been satisfied. So the fact that my top two are sharing a victory is just icing on the cake.

I disagree that Thel is his "best" song. I think Darkside is his magnum opus, and Bruce agrees with me. ;)

I agree with UO. This top 10 is much too CW heavy, though I disagree about which song to swap out (Crimson). It would've been nice to see The Alchemist on there, which is pretty underrated around here, as well as Trumpets. I'm rather annoyed with the placing of Cyclops, Navigate, The Breeding House, No Way Out, and Silver Wings. Except Silver Wings, these are all extremely unique songs for Bruce, and they deserve more attention. I also wish at least one little Skunkworks song finished in the top 10. I'm of the opinion that most of the Skunkworks songs are of equally high quality, so it doesn't even matter which song made the top 10 as long as one did. I'm also surprised by how quickly people were willing to snuff out A Tyranny of Souls, as it's one of Bruce's most menacing songs.

All things considered, though, I voted yes. Especially because of the top two. I'm also pleased with how far Taking the Queen got.

I just can't get over the fact that Thel was placed 7th, I'd understand it not winning but 7th, come on now. It's like Hallowed being out of Top 10.

This is my current top ten:

01. Kill Devil Hill
02. Back From The Edge
03. King In Crimson
04. The Tower
05. Broken
06. Jerusalem
07. Starchildren
08. Navigate The Seas Of The Sun
09. Gates Of Urizen
10. The Alchemist

My top 10? Hmmm.... Okay...

1. Dreamstate
2. Cyclops
3. Trumpets Of Jericho
4. Devil On A Hog
5. Book Of Thel
6. Silver Wings
7. Meltdown
8. Omega
9. Freak
10. The Tower

I can't believe there are no Skunkworks songs in the top 10... that is such an underrated album!

I'd have all eras represented in my top 10, except for the debut album:

Top 10 (chronological):
The Breeding House
No Way Out... ...To Be Continued
Cyclops
Back from the Edge
Man of Sorrows
Darkside of Aquarius
King in Crimson
Book of Thel
Silver Wings
A Tyranny of Souls

Close / sometimes in and out of top 10:
Tears of the Dragon
Omega
Broken
Soul Intruders
Kill Devil Hill

Close / sometimes in and out of top 10:
Tears of the Dragon
Omega
Broken
Soul Intruders
Kill Devil Hill

Hmm... My close/in and out of the top 10 list would be:

Ghost Of Cain
King In Crimson
Solar Confinement
The Magician
Tears Of A Dragon
The Alchemist
A Tyranny Of Souls
Tattooed Millionaire

If I'd made that section as long as you I'd also add these three (semi-)ballads:
Son of a Gun
Change of Heart
Taking the Queen

If I'd made that section as long as you I'd also add these three (semi-)ballads:
Son of a Gun
Change of Heart
Taking the Queen

The first two songs there, I totally love. Son Of A Gun is the best song on the debut along with the title track, and Change Of Heart well... it's a great, great song. On certain days, in a certain mood, that would find it's way into my top 10! lol :)

I am surprised at the apparent lack of love for the Balls To Picasso and Skunkworks stuff. The stuff with Roy definitely elevated Bruce back to the top of the metal heap, but those 2 more experimental works contain some of Bruce's most vital and interesting material, for me.

Adrian Smith bias. :)

Haha, well... I totally love Adrian of course, but I can still see the merit in those albums. :p Although speaking of H... I'm actually a bit surprised "Road To Hell" wasn't in the top 10. It's a very accessible, catchy song, one that sticks in your head for ages! lol

Haha, well... I totally love Adrian of course, but I can still see the merit in those albums. :p Although speaking of H... I'm actually a bit surprised "Road To Hell" wasn't in the top 10. It's a very accessible, catchy song, one that sticks in your head for ages! lol
That's why, with this forum, it failed.

I am glad to see some mentions for Cyclops in this thread, which is a hideously underrated song. I still remember the first time I heard it, which was on Tom Russell's Friday Rock Show which was on from midnight till 2 in the morning. hehe :) It was before the album's release, and I remember how stunned I was when that monstrous riff first made it's appearance.... to say it was a shock after Tattooed Millionaire would be a massive understatement! lol I really can't imagine me ever making a top 10 list of Bruce songs without that song in it. It is a catchy song, but in a very dark way...

I love Alex Dickson's sound in the live versions of Cyclops as well. Greatly contributes to the strength of Alive in Studio A.

I love Alex Dickson's sound in the live versions of Cyclops as well. Greatly contributes to the strength of Alive in Studio A.

Agreed. It gives the song a more eerie quality, and more crunch to THAT riff! I also love the bass sound in the Alive in Studio A version, it's more punchy, and adds a greater degree of power to the song. :)

This is what I said almost two months ago to the day:

I haven't even composed a list. Now that you mention it, my list would probably look (very, very roughly) like

1. Jerusalem
2. Darkside of Aquarius
3. Navigate the Seas of the Sun
4. Eternal
5. Cyclops
6. Taking the Queen
7. Strange Death in Paradise
8. No Way Out... To Be Continued
9. Back From the Edge
10. Born in '58

Looking at it again, I don't see '58 as high anymore and I can't believe I forgot King in Crimson. Revising it, I'd say it's closer to

1. Jerusalem (--)
2. Darkside of Aquarius (+1)
3. Cyclops
4. Navigate the Seas of the Sun (-6)
5. Eternal
6. Strange Death in Paradise
7. No Way Out... To Be Continued
8. Back From the Edge
9. King in Crimson (--)
10. Devil on a Hog
--
Close to breaking: Silver Wings, Taking the Queen, The Alchemist, Inertia, Solar Confinement, Arc of Space, Omega, and A Tyranny of Souls.

So 4/10. Not the best statistic, but better than how Maiden turned out for me.

Not satisfied since Book of Thel was placed 7th. A disgrace.
*farce

I like this top ten. My two favorite songs beat out Thel and we got a unique top ten. I think instead of Crimson and Navigate, there should've been Cyclops and Back From The Edge. Or maybe even 2 Skunkworks songs. My ranking of the top ten:
1. Chemical Wedding
2 The Tower
3. Kill Devil Hill
4. Book Of Thel
5. Darkside Of Aquarius
6. Omega
7. Tears Of The Dragon
8. King In Crimson
9. Navigate the Seas of the Sun
10. Jerusalem

Thanks for hosting, Badger!

Back