BRUCE DICKINSON ALBUM RANKING: FULL RANKING REVEALED

Mosh

PM me your Nightwish album rankings!
Staff member
Here's how it works:

1: Each user will submit their rankings of the 6 Bruce Dickinson studio albums to me via PM. The #1 album will receive 6 points, and #2 will receive 5, all the way down to #6 which will receive 1 point.

2: I will tally up the results and create a forum-wide ranking.

3: I will reveal the results one album at a time, starting at #6. This will be a more discussion based affair, since there will be no voting at this point.

So if you would like to participate, PM me your Bruce Dickinson ranking from #1 (best) to #6 (worst). Any lists that ignore this format or don't include every Bruce Dickinson studio album will be ignored! Any comments to this post with rankings will also be ignored, they must be sent via PM! You have until the end of the Iron Maiden ranking game. I will do a "last call" when it's about to wrap up.

Tattooed Millionaire
Balls to Picasso
Skunkworks
Accident of Birth
The Chemical Wedding
Tyranny of Souls

Last call for submissions! Will start the countdown this week.

Hello everybody! The numbers have been crunched and it is time to reveal the results of the Maidenfans Bruce Dickinson album ranking! Sorry for the delay, took me a second to recover from the holidays and I thought it would be better to do this closer to the release of The Mandrake Project anyway.

To once again coincide with a new album release, our next game will be JUDAS PRIEST. Please PM me your Judas Priest ranked from #1 (best) to #18 (worst). Any lists that ignore this format or don't include every Judas Priest studio album will be ignored! Any comments to this post with rankings will also be ignored, they must be sent via PM! Also, no revisions. You have until the end of the Bruce Dickinson ranking game. I will do a "last call" when it's about to wrap up. I'll post a formal thread with all of this information as well, but you can get in early if you'd like.

Before we get to the results, a special thanks to all who participated:

No trivia contest this time because the answers are pretty obvious. There are no ties and I think everybody could guess which albums did not receive any last place rankings and which albums did not receive any first place rankings. There may be some placement surprises, but overall I think most folks know how this one is going to go.

OK. Without further adieu, here is our first reveal:

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6: Tattooed Millionaire

Highest score: 3 (@Poto @TheMercenary)
Lowest score: 1 (@Just about everybody else)

Bruce's debut album coming in last is probably no surprise to anybody here. Most people know the story: Bruce was asked to record a song for the new Nightmare on Elm Street movie (Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter) and that project expanded into a full album recorded during Maiden's first full year off. On the surface, it seems like it should be the perfect project. Maiden were on a creative stride, you've got a NWOBHM veteran producing, and Janick Gers is kind of the perfect choice considering his background with Gillan and the early NWOBHM scene. The result is somewhere between Aerosmith and Motley Crue, which probably isn't what people are looking for with Bruce (and was proven by the fact that his solo career didn't really take off until he started making pure Metal albums).

As you can see by the score spread (nobody ranked it in the upper half of the discography), the biggest downfall for Tattooed Millionaire is that nobody is out there really championing this album. Other lower ranked Dickinson albums have pockets of hardcore fans, but I think even Millionaire's most ardent defenders aren't going to pretend that it is among Bruce's finest work. It ended about 15 points below the next album, which is the 2nd largest gap between two albums.

I will say this in defense of the album (and as one of many users who ranked it last): I almost put this album second to last purely on the grounds that it is pretty successful in doing what it's trying to do. The songs on here are very well produced and very well performed. In retrospect with Janick joining Maiden, it's great to hear him on a single guitar album with Bruce. You hear him more in his element here than on his first few Maiden albums. Lots of big open chords, more traditional bluesy leads, more room to play and less worries about getting in the way of the other guitarist(s). This is the first album where we hear Bruce's raspy voice that would be used on the next two Maiden albums, I think it fits here better than on the next albums but also I never disliked the style as much as most fans seem to.

The presence of the All The Young Dudes cover reveals what this album is all about. It's not so much trying to go for the 80s hair metal thing, but more of the 70s glam rock that influenced Bruce. It's a good fit - Bruce's theatricality goes well with that type of music. I hear a lot of David Bowie and Slade, but also some Aerosmith and AC/DC (less interesting). I think the biggest downfall is the songwriting though. Some of these songs are just ridiculous, Licking the Gun, Dive Dive Dive, some of the worst dreck in Bruce's catalog. I think if he would have leaned more into songs like Son of a Gun or even the title track (awesome glam rock with a really intricate instrumental) it would have made for a more interesting album. By the time you get to the back half of this album it turns into major filler. But also, given how this came together, I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of these songs were just quickly put together. Seems more like something for Bruce to do before getting back with Maiden.

It's not that I don't like Tattooed Millionaire, and it's evident that Bruce felt the artistic need to do things different to what his past 8 years in Iron Maiden had been like (which seems to be coming out a bit as well now in the modern day). It's just that I always felt a lot of what he brought in this particular album wasn't that special compared to similar songs already out there, and some of it is quite bad. There's some neat little nugget here, but frankly, I almost never go back and listen to it.

Tattooed Millionaire is a fun rock album with some great songs (a whole EP worth of material). Not a strong debut album, but that wasn't its purpose. Bruce never did it seriously, just for fun and for less than 10 days. A side project while in Maiden. It's like he wanted to release a rock album from the 70's with a bit of a late 80's vibe. He likes this style and bands. Something very different from Maiden, like Adrian's debut solo album.

I'm a big fan of the production. Clear and powerful sound.

The best songs are:

- the title track (great and anthemic glam metal).
- ''Son Of A Gun'' (awesome hard rock song with a lot of feel, cool vocal ideas and great playing by Janick).
- ''Born In '58'' (the first great ballad with a fantastic chorus; only one solo is missing).

''No Lies'' is Bring Your Daughter revisited and has a very cool chorus, but for its length it doesn't do anything interesting.

The rest of the album is more or less filler material. Although songs like ''Gypsy Road'' and ''Hell On Wheels'' have kind of nice choruses and guitar playing. ''Dive! Dive! Dive!'' is a lot of fun. While ''Zulu Lulu'' and ''Lickin' The Gun'' are his worst solo songs.

Bruce's performances are solid and his raspy vocals fits here. I like them in Maiden (but more in FOTD). Some of his soft vocals though, I like them more with his late 90's voice.

Janick is a perfect guitarist for this album and style. He loves such pure rock and fun songs. His solos are wild and he shines with some of the melodies. Drumming and bass-wise, solid playing too.

As for the bonus songs: ''Winds Of Change'' (I like the electric version better though) and ''Bring Your Daughter'' would have been nice additions to the album, no doubt. ''Darkness Be My Friend'' is a sympathetic short acoustic piece and is best suited as a bonus stuff.

The bonus songs do hint at a bit more of a musical range and a sort of prelude to his next two solo albums. I actually really dig Darkness Be My Friend and wish that some of his Somewhere in Time rejects would have been used for a solo album, but of course that wasn't really the direction.

The best songs are:

- the title track (great and anthemic glam metal).
- ''Son Of A Gun'' (awesome hard rock song with a lot of feel, cool vocal ideas and great playing by Janick).
- ''Born In '58'' (the first great ballad with a fantastic chorus; only one solo is missing).
Yep, these are the only ones with staying power from that album, IMO.

The bonus songs do hint at a bit more of a musical range and a sort of prelude to his next two solo albums. I actually really dig Darkness Be My Friend and wish that some of his Somewhere in Time rejects would have been used for a solo album, but of course that wasn't really the direction.
Yeah. His SIT material was more acoustically oriented. At the time of recording this album he had (in some form) Tears Of The Dragon and Man Of Sorrows (the demo with Janick), not fitting for the direction of album too.

Agree with what has been written so far.

As an album, it was very top heavy. The first side is pretty strong but, once the novelty of All The Young Dudes has worn off, the second side is very weak. The covers of Sin City and Elected from this era are better than the originals on side B.

Last edited:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5: Balls to Picasso
6: Tattooed Millionaire

Highest score: 5 (@KidInTheDark666)
Lowest score: 1 (@Spambot @Poto @Diesel 11 )

I would say the low placement of Balls to Picasso is somewhat surprising. It's no Accident of Birth, but it's still a collaboration with Roy Z and the heaviest of the first three Dickinson albums. What it came down to here is that a LOT of people were willing to put Skunkworks in the top half of the discography, with many members putting it right at #1. That sort of cult appeal isn't really there for BTP.

When you read about the making of this album and listen to songs that he made in LA, it's kind of amazing that this album even exists. You wouldn't expect it to come together with an identifiable sound, but Bruce managed to pull it together enough to make a decent album that was still in the Metal realm but very different from what he did in Maiden. The Latin percussion and grooves are a cool touch.

The album definitely has a few fatal flaws. I was never a huge fan of Bruce's singing on this album, but that goes for Skunkworks as well. He was clearly dealing with his aging voice throughout the early 90s and he still hasn't quite found a sound that works for him. He loses a lot of power in his upper range and while he's mostly ditched the rasp, I find that it's really grating on here when he does use it. Then there's the production. The album is not nearly as heavy as it needs to be. Guitars are super thin and the drums are too far in the background. I agree with what Bruce has said in retrospect and think this album would be more popular if Roy Z had gotten to produce it. Some of the riffs on songs like Cyclops and 1000 Points of Light should be crushing.

Bruce is still writing some pretty stupid songs at this point. Laughing in the Hiding Bush, Fire, and Shoot All the Clowns really should have been cut from the album. Also, any time Bruce raps is not a good time. I don't love the outtakes, but you can certainly make a case that something like The Breeding House was more deserving of being on the album. Of course one thing this album has that Skunkworks and Tyranny of Souls each lack is an alltime classic Dickinson song. Tears of a Dragon makes the whole album worth it and is a significant step above the rest.

I would say the low placement of Balls to Picasso is somewhat surprising.
Not for me -- this is easily the most uneven album out of the remaining 5, and it's got its fair share of fillerish, merely OK songs.

I agree with what Bruce has said in retrospect and think this album would be more popular if Roy Z had gotten to produce it. Some of the riffs on songs like Cyclops and 1000 Points of Light should be crushing.
QFT.

Bruce is still writing some pretty stupid songs at this point. Laughing in the Hiding Bush, Fire, and Shoot All the Clowns really should have been cut from the album.
Disagree. "Laughing" is probably the second best song on the album, at least musically. But yes, the lyrics are silly. "Shoot All The Clowns" is fundamentally silly, but it's also experimental in a good way, it's catchy, and the John Paul Getty rap is one of the most unique moments in Bruce's solo catalog (and it didn't bother me much). Agreed that "Fire" is a dud, though.

Balls To Picasso is an album with a lot of songs that have strong potential, but that potential isn't fully realized in the final recording. "Cyclops" has a cool, creepy groove and that great haunting outro, but the chorus doesn't really hit with the punch it needs, and the whole thing feels like it plods a bit. "Hell No" has an OK verse and an almost interesting pre-chorus, but the chorus doesn't land convincingly, and it makes up so much of the song that it tends to drag the whole affair down. "Gods Of War" really succeeds through the verse, but the pre-chorus and chorus don't quite get there. "1000 Points Of Light" stumbles through the verse, but the pre-chorus and chorus are pretty solid, and the interludes are nice. Bruce's singing on that track gets a little whiny and weird, though. And "Change Of Heart" is trite and cheesy, IMO.

In my view the only songs on the album that fully succeed are "Laughing In The Hiding Bush", "Sacred Cowboys", and of course "Tears Of The Dragon". And for that reason and all of the other reasons stated above, Balls To Picasso is my personally fifth-ranked Bruce solo album, so the group ranking is exactly matching my own so far.

It's difficult to choose between Balls and Millionaire when it comes to Bruce's, not worst, but least good album. I think at the end of the day it's all about the performances. Bruce and Janick sound like they're having fun on Tattooed Millionaire, so even if a lot of the material isn't amazing it's still lifted up by the gusto of the performers. Balls being a more serious effort, when it stumbles it's all the more noticeable. "Fire" is a nothing song on this album because there's no passion whatsoever on it. Once Bruce had a group he could gel with it became a massive highlight on Alive in Studio A. Frankly with a few exceptions most of the material on this album sounds better live. "Tears of the Dragon" is amazing, but on the original album version it doesn't quite take off the way it should.

Balls To Picasso, so much to say. Bruce's real debut.

This is the kind of album Bruce needed to make at the time after Maiden, and I think with the 3rd attempt of it he did a good job.
I don't think it's that strong of an album, but it's cool, fun and definitely not bad. It's also a unique and kind of special album because of its vibe, which wouldn't have been achieved with more heavy approach - although some of the songs would shine more. The songs are nice-to-good-to-great.

Bruce and Roy had said that the album was a total experiment and they didn't know what to do or write. Bruce wanted to move away from his style with Maiden, but I think with small changes and 1/2 songs with his classic style would have made the album batter, more noticeable and even more memorable. But still, the album has a lot to offer, including in terms of interesting arrangements. The Latin feel works very well. And the heavy approach of the future solo albums was already hinted at in this one.

The production is rough (rhythm guitar and especially drums), but that brings the unique vibe and the charm. The vocals and solos sound is pretty good.

Bruce's vocals were at one of his peaks. Some very good lyrics.

Roy's performances, style and talent are very solid already here. Heavy riffs with look to the future, arrangements with a lot of feel and the album contains some of my favorite and great solos by him (Dragon, Cyclops, Heart, Laughing). Also, interesting riffs, licks and interludes.

The drumming on the album is interesting and had what to offer.

The album produced one of Bruce's best songs ever written - ''Tears Of The Dragon''. For metal too. That chorus and solo! This is a song that is a big highlight/hit and benchmark for the album.

Other standout songs for me are:
1)''Cyclops'' - a great way to open the album. It's 8 minutes and it's slow, but it's also a heavy beast with big memorable chorus and unique outro melody with the high vocals.
2)''Change Of Heart'' - the next classic ballad with beautiful vocals and guitar work.
3)''Sacred Cowboys'' - a gem imo, even with the verses. Every other part is great and Maiden-esque.
4)''Laughing In The Hiding Bush'' - typical solid rocker of Bruce's solo albums. Great groove and the simple chorus work here.

Now, the rest of the songs are a bit tricky to rank. ''Gods Of War'' should be noted though because it brings that trademark sound of the album and every part is solid. Cool drumming. The only part I feel could have been different is the pre-chorus - both it and the chorus have the same high vocal melody. Classic solo by Roy. And the outro should have been different.

The other songs are not strong for me. I have to say that some/half of the songs on the album would be fillers on a Maiden album (even from the 90's; or either too different). But - songs like ''Hell No'' and ''1000 Points Of Light'' have not bad and kind of nice choruses and some cool parts. Maybe ''Fire'' too. ''Shoot All The Clowns'' is a total filler, but it's fun, I admit, even with the rap. All of these songs could have easily been dropped from the album. If we add the 3 best songs from the previous album, now we have a really great album.

What I really like about this album is that almost every songs has really emotional vocals and memorable parts - Dragon and Heart (whole songs), Cyclops (chorus and solos), Hell No, 1000 Points(verse melodies and soft vocals) and Cowboys (chorus).

One of the main issues of the album imo is - the overall mid-tempo approach to the songs and most of them kind of sound samey (especially the first 4). The latter half of the album takes things in the right direction. But this could have been fixed...
The different in style bonus songs: the ones with the classic metal approach (not made with the purpose to be B-Sides imo), ''The Breeding House'' and ''No Way Out... To Be Continued'' would have been awesome album songs. House was a must, I can't believe it's not on the album. I mean, it's pure classic metal, big Maiden vibe and great vocals, chorus and melodies. Bruce just needed one or two more such songs. ''Fire Child'' has some good vocals, but some even more experimental stuff, even for this album. The electronic-style of songs are curious and nice in their own way.
-> Myke Gray, the guitarist on these songs should be praised. Very good guitarist and listen to his solos on House and No Way Out!!

Overall, BTP is a solid enough and a bit underrated album, imo. Far from bad. I'm happy that such an album exists. Fusion of metal & hard rock.

When you read about the making of this album and listen to songs that he made in LA, it's kind of amazing that this album even exists. You wouldn't expect it to come together with an identifiable sound, but Bruce managed to pull it together enough to make a decent album that was still in the Metal realm but very different from what he did in Maiden. The Latin percussion and grooves are a cool touch.
I agree.
Bruce is still writing some pretty stupid songs at this point. Laughing in the Hiding Bush,
Of course one thing this album has that Skunkworks and Tyranny of Souls each lack is an alltime classic Dickinson song.
I disagree with both statements here, especially the second one. TOS has several classic songs for Bruce.
Not for me -- this is easily the most uneven album out of the remaining 5, and it's got its fair share of fillerish, merely OK songs.
I can agree and I ranked the album the same, but I like it and with some different songs it wouldn't be that far from a great album that could rival the classics. It was one position higher for me for a long time and it's a much better album than the debut and some of the songs are much stronger than the ones on Skunkworks. It's back and forth between Balls and it for me.
and the John Paul Getty rap is one of the most unique moments in Bruce's solo catalog

Balls To Picasso is an album with a lot of songs that have strong potential, but that potential isn't fully realized in the final recording.
This.
Balls To Picasso is like Fear Of The Dark: a mixed bag with great stuff, some gems but quite alot of filler.
The comparison is accurate, but the stuff on FOTD is more mixed.
but it has higher highs than anything on Skunkworks or Tyranny.
Only Tears Of The Dragon can rival the material on TOS imo.
"Tears of the Dragon" is amazing, but on the original album version it doesn't quite take off the way it should.
I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't say so. The funky bit is odd though.

The reggae bit is one of the best parts of the song!
Not one of the best for me since the other parts are pure gold, but it's cool. The melody fits the mood of the album.

I also like the live version of this part with Adrian's guitar licks. It sounds kind of ancient and medieval, which fits the title of the song - and Adrian is a master at this both live and in the studio. The licks could have been replaced with a more prominent melody for even better effect.

"Shoot All The Clowns" is fundamentally silly, but it's also experimental in a good way, it's catchy, and the John Paul Getty rap is one of the most unique moments in Bruce's solo catalog (and it didn't bother me much).
Yeah. I know it fits the album, but the worst part for me is the post-chorus, also used as an intro and outro. Even the rap bit is kind of better! The song wasn't needed for the album at all, but at least it's faster and more lively.

Back