Bruce at his best?

So which IM songs do you think reflect Bruce's best vocal performances?

I always appreciate it when Bruce's vocals soar, making the music just that much better. So, here are some of my favorite performances:

Hallowed Be Thy Name: A true classic, one that never gets old:

Revelations: This was not a song I particularly enjoyed, but the more I hear it, the more I can appreciate it, particularly Bruce's performance.

Aces High: Bruce does a great job of alternating with the fierce pre-chorus and the soaring chorus.

Infinite Dreams: It was a shame that IM didn't bring this song back on the Maiden England tour, because it was one of the highlights of the 7th Son album.

Wasting Love: Easily in my top five of IM songs. Bruce delivers passion that is unmatched by anyone.

Sign of the Cross; Of course Blaze did this song on the studio, but Bruce sounded awesome performing this one live.

Paschendale: One of IM"s best epics, this features the band at its epic best, and I never fail to get chills when Bruce sings the lyric "Blood is falling just like rain" or the anthemetic refrain "Home far away.."

Out of the Shadows: Bruce at his soaring best, this is truly an underrated song.

Empire of the Clouds: A new classic, it's a shame that we likely won't see this song live.

I think his voice was at its best from about CW to about BNW period, waning slightly by DoD, but I'll have to listen again to the studio vocal performances of the same period.

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Where Eagles Dare
Aces High
Infinite Dreams
The Longest Day

Hallowed Be thy Name
Where Eagles Dare
The Trooper
Alexander the Great
Tears of the Dragon
Man of Sorrows
Chemical Wedding
Brave New World
Blood Brothers
The Thin Line...
Rainmaker
Navigate the seas of the sun
The entire AMOLAD
Coming Home
The Talisman

Bruce's best years IMO were 1983-1988 and 1997-2011

HBTN
Aces High
ROTAM
Blood Brothers
The Talisman

Last edited:
Of the classic full-range Bruce, the Powerslave album comes to mind, specifically "Aces High". However, he also aged like fine wine, and I'd say The Chemical Wedding is him at his peak, utilizing his strongest singing even if he can't hit all the highs he used to.

The Talisman, Starblind, Book of Souls, Nomad, The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runna, Hallowed by the Name, Infinite Dreams I Can't Deny Them, Tears of Albi the Racist Dragon, Ghost of Cain, and The Chemical Wedding are the songs that, to me, reflect the greatest display of Bruce's best vocal attributes.

Editing to add The Legacy and The Thin Line Between Love and Hate. Can't believe I left those two out.

In my view his high was virtually anything between The Number of the Beast and AMOLAD, with the really golden era being Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son. I REALLY liked him on Caught Somewhere in Time but there's a lot of great performances to choose from. At the other end of the spectrum, I like virtually nothing from Final Frontier or Book of Souls. Some good songs but poor vocal performances. His voice is far too strained and I think he was really suffering as a result of the cancer.

Back