Bruce and Freddie

Ben Beast

Educated Fool
I remember that I read post where someone said that only Bruce is capable of singing Queen songs live like Freddy, but I don't remember what topic it was or who said it, so can somebody help me  and also what  are your opinions - is Bruce the best man to sing Queen songs ?

Bruce has one of the most powerful and dramatic voices out there. The same description would have fit Freddie perfectly, of course. But that doesn't make them completely interchangeable, of course.

How many Maiden songs could Freddie have sung effectively? A fair number, but some would sound forced. It's just not the right music for his voice.

Bruce would be the same with Queen songs. He could certainly sing many, but he's not the right voice for most of their stuff.

I heard him to Bohemian Rhapsody, and frankly, I didn't like it.

I'm not quite sure I like it either. Although it's been recorded in late '90s (possibly 2000?) he sounds a bit like on Tattooed Millionaire.
Bruce sings the calm parts - "mama, just kill the man" - with a certain power that's not adequate. Maybe he tried to emulate Freddie as much as possible, but his real calm emotional singing (as in Coming Home verses, for example), would be more suitable here, IMHO.

Their technical merits are off the scale, and it all comes down to whether you like the individual voice better. They're not singing the same kind of music.

I don't like that rendition at all. Maybe it's because Bohemian Rhapsody is the Casablanca of the music world - it should not be covered at all, ever. No matter who does it, it will become a travesty.

If you want to hear a good (albeit not outstanding) case of Bruce covering a Queen song, there is a live version of him singing I Want to Break Free with the SAS band. It's not on Youtube and I seem to have lost the MP3, so good luck hunting.

EDIT: Found it again, let me know if anybody wants it.

I see what you mean. It's the same thing with Bruce singing Blaze songs, they aren't meant for him and opposite, but I am curious if you could choose a singer to sing  Queen songs live who would you pick

also I remember the post I am looking said that Axl and Elton sang Queen songs but their voice wasn't up to the task or something like that

I think Bruce blows away Blaze away on his songs. As far as Queen goes, I love his cover of BR. It would be sweet to hear Bruce on some more. Both Blaze and Queen.

Perun said:
EDIT: Found it again, let me know if anybody wants it.
I want it (all) :D

Btw. live version of Bohemian Rhapsody with Elton John and Axl Rose on FM Tribute Concert is very good...

Paul Rodgers toured with thr remaining members of Queen, did that Queen+PR thing. I think he had a web poll to vote on the songs that fans wanted him to do, but he said there were some he knew he couldn't do. He seemed to do a fairly good job.

I remember seeing him perform some songs on TV and I really didn't like it. But I do like Bad Co. quite a bit.

I saw Queen + Paul Rodgers live, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Rodgers knows he is not Freddie, and he will never be able to imitate him, so he doesn't even try. He sings Queen songs like Paul Rodgers sings songs, and that is fine. Does it fit the songs? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I can enjoy The Show Must Go On or I Want it All with him on vocals, despite knowing that they are better with Freddie. But you know what? Freddie is dead. It was great to hear the songs live despite that, because I never thought I ever would. Half of Queen was still there, and that was enough for me. Granted, the real chills came when Brian or Roger took the vocals, but it was still thoroughly great. You could tell the spirit was there, and they didn't do anything Queen would never have done.

Why compare, there is no comparison. Bruce has a totally different tone to Freddie, completely different range. Each excels at their own. Although saying that, Freddie killed the Great Pretender, as Bruce bombed with his attempt at Bohemian Rhapsody.

I thought Bruce was admirable doing Bohemian.  I don't care for the operatic  parts though.  It seemed like the minute Bruce starting warming up during the song, his part ended and the opera singer took over.  Couldn't really stay into it.

Back