Bruce and Adrian

If only. Sadly, Sanctuary mistreated [span style=\'color:red\']B L A Z E[/span] horribly and they left the label. If Sanctuary had given Blaze & Co. the respect they deserved, maybe the band would be bigger, and then it might be possible for Iron Maiden to tour with them.

I would love to see Blaze singing Sign of the Cross or The Clansman again with Bruce backing.

Yeah I think Sanctuary shat themsleves when they heard Silicon Messiah and feared it would piss over their "Maiden Reunion" album if they gave it any promotion.... just my opinion though [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Real World+Nov 7 2005, 05:35 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Real World @ Nov 7 2005, 05:35 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]just my opinion though [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]122400[/snapback]​
[/quote]

My opinion too [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Sanctuary wouldve made alot of money if they hadnt shit themselves though.

It's a shame that Blaze has that "Maiden reject" tag like the way Mustaine has that "Metallica reject" tag on him. Maybe those twats that bash them should give a good listen to Tenth Dimension and Rust In Peace. [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 7 2005, 08:03 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 7 2005, 08:03 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's a shame that Blaze has that "Maiden reject" tag like the way Mustaine has that "Metallica reject" tag on him. Maybe those twats that bash them should give a good listen to Tenth Dimension and Rust In Peace. [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]122461[/snapback]​
[/quote]
They were fired for different raesons though. i don't think you can compare them. Blaze was fired because his performances were not bringing in the crowds and Bruce was needed back for more widespread appeal. It was not Blaze's fault.
Mustaine however was fired (somebody pay Mr Trump [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] ) because he had a self induced problem of drugs.

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 7 2005, 08:19 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 7 2005, 08:19 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's not the reasons why they were given the boot, it's the way a lot of fans view them as.
[snapback]122463[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Indeed, they are both great musicians and developed better and stronger in a different environment. Maybe Blaze and Mustaine getting the sack was the best thing that evr happened to them? Their careers have improved after their departure of a huge band but they are still called rejects etc. I don't think either man is too worried though, they are raking it in at the minute!

I think that the reunion with Bruce and Adrian really put the band back where they belong and the songwriting also improved. That being said, I must add that "The X factor" is the best Maiden album from the 1990-1998 period.

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Nov 7 2005, 08:38 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Nov 7 2005, 08:38 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Indeed, they are both great musicians and developed better and stronger in a different environment.  Maybe Blaze and Mustaine getting the sack was the best thing that evr happened to them?  Their careers have improved after their departure of a huge band but they are still called rejects etc.  I don't think either man is too worried though, they are raking it in at the minute!
[snapback]122465[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Well, at least they're making good music, that's what matters the most. People who see through the trendy bashing will see that as well.

[!--QuoteBegin-GhostofCain+Nov 8 2005, 11:30 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(GhostofCain @ Nov 8 2005, 11:30 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]That being said, I must add that "The X factor" is the best Maiden album from the 1990-1998 period.
[snapback]122533[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Indeed. In fact, I think it is the best album of the 1980-2005 period [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I like the fact that TXF is getting its long overdue praise and apology. I read in their bio that Steve was very upset by the poor reception it recieved.

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Nov 8 2005, 06:29 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Nov 8 2005, 06:29 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Indeed. In fact, I think it is the best album of the 1980-2005 period [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]122548[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I whole heartedly agree. Well at least for the 1980-1999 part of the whole, BNW is my favorite now, probably just because of Thin Line and Out Of The Silent Planet.

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 7 2005, 11:03 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 7 2005, 11:03 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's a shame that Blaze has that "Maiden reject" tag like the way Mustaine has that "Metallica reject" tag on him. Maybe those twats that bash them should give a good listen to Tenth Dimension and Rust In Peace. [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]122461[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeah damnit!!! It pisses me off when that happens. Being a musician myself an' all, if I was ever labelled a " "Place bands name here" reject" I would surely be in great depression. Not only because it would probably ruin my carrer as a guitarist & songwriter but also because of the emotional stigma it would leave on me. Mustaine and Blaze were lucky to make it big after those incidents in their lives...

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Oct 29 2005, 07:20 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Oct 29 2005, 07:20 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]My question here is, are Maiden any better with Bruce and Adrian?  The live performances may well have improved but has the studio produced music?
[snapback]121626[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Difficult question. Because, for me there is a major difference in appreciation of TXF and VXI.

I have to admit, that after 7 years, I still think Virtual XI is Maiden's worst album and at the same time, I think TXF was one of Maiden's most interesting sidesteps.

When I want to compare BNW and DOD with the previous Blaze-work I tend to do this by taking the negative aspects of VXI and comparing those with the other albums.

Drums

On TXF Nicko does a very nice job, ans the drumsound is also very good. Together with his drums on SIT I even like his drums on TXF the most from all the Maiden albums.

ON VXI Nicko delivers his smallest contribution ever. There are hardly any drumbreaks/fills to be heard. He might touch his toms 3 or 4 times on the whole album. In an interview he said he did it on purpose, to give the rest of the music more space. For me drums are essential in Iron Maiden's music, since Maiden is one of the very few bands, in which bass guitar and drums have a bigger role than the guitars.

On BNW Nicko has a very sharp snare-drum sound and and I am not a big fan of it. Still, his performance is way more interesting than on VXI, also because the songs are more complex on BNW.

On DOD his performance is quite the same as on BNW but the sound is a bit 'softer', giving more space to the guitars.

Songs

I like the dark atmosphere of the songs on TXF. When it came out, I remember that the reviews said that the songs were too long, started too slow with too long intros. Nowadays those same reviewers don't seem to bother about other albums with long intros. Anyway, I never had a problem with long intros.

The songs on VXI are in two cases very repetitive. Not only the chorus from "The Angel & The Gambler" is, but also parts in "Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger"
The chorus from "When Two Worlds Collide" is imo a rip-off from the couplets in "That Girl".

BNW is an album which is very strong as a whole. There are a few weaker songs, but they are not very weak.

On DOD there are more weaker songs and I am sad to say they are even weaker than the weak ones from BNW. Still there is a lot of variety on the album and the strong songs are very strong.

Overal rating:

1. The X-Factor
2. Brave New World
3. Dance Of Death
4. Virtual XI

Well, BNW was the first Maiden album I listened to, and after listening to some other earlier stuff, i was a bit dissapointed. So, even though I had no idea when the album was created or the story of Iron Maiden, it still impressed me very much. Now I have to say i like SIT better, but for the overall feel of the album,and for the amazing produciton values. Blaze is a very talented musician, but his place wasn't in Maiden.

(My oppinion, ©,®,™ )

Brave New World, 7th Son, and The X Factor are all tied for my favorite Maiden album. They are all very special to me, and are my comfort albums. Something familiar and safe, you know? Albums that got me through hard times over the years. BNW was the first album I had (non-greatest hits album- Ed Hunter was technically the first I got when I was 15 or 16...) and 7th Son was the second or third one I got. They were my introduction to Maiden and they were what made me fall completely in love with Maiden and start my collection.
The X Factor and Virtual XI were the last two I got. I'd heard the Blaze songs on Ed Hunter, and even though Man on the Edge, The Clansman, and Futureal were my favorites on that album, I hesitated to buy TXF and VXI because of all the horrible things people said about them. I finally bought them about a year ago (and completed my collection- finally!) and I love them both, especially TXF, obviously. I almost I wish I'd bought them sooner, because, I could've had all those years of Blaze! But, I think the timing was right for me to get those albums, because it was a time in my life when TFX really spoke to me. So, who knows if I would've loved it when I was 15, but I love it now! These albums are the ones that I'll always love and never forget! The last 7 years of my life, I will remember by what Maiden albums I listened to!

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Ace+Nov 15 2005, 09:25 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Nov 15 2005, 09:25 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--](My oppinion, ©,®,™ )
[snapback]123105[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Maybe you can try spelling correctly before copyrighting your opinion. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Nov 5 2005, 05:15 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Nov 5 2005, 05:15 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Have Maiden really got their trademark sound back?  That is really the question.  For me it's hard to define their trademark sound.  They can mix fast songs, slow songs, pop-cultured songs and great concert sing-a-longs.  I don't think that Maiden have produced anything of a really high standard since the Blaze era, before that, 7th son.
All we can really hope for is a classic album next year, something to match 7th son.  That would redeem Maiden in modern times and cement Bruce and Adrian as two of the greatest heavy metal musicians of all time.
[snapback]122195[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I've been thinking A LOT about this lately, the whole Bruce vs. Blaze which is their "best" album and why, what makes an album "good", "great" or "crappy". What/who makes Iron Maiden "great"? Is it Harris for writing the bulk of the material? is it Bruce's voice? Adrian's solos? all of the above? I will discuss the following, bruces singing and maidens progression

Everybody hails Bruce as a great singer, powerful, clean voice etc. etc. Frankly, I don't like his singing all that much, I don't think it was ever "clear", nor "powerful", it seems like he is yelling, not singing, and he strains to much at times (aces high comes to mind). Now I may be getting sick of his singing more now than before but I've never considered him that great. Michael Kiske to me was a better singer and it really sucks Helloween had the legal and internal problems they did, because to me he was "the" singer of the 80's metal. now, TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND KEEP READING BEFORE YOU FLAME ME JUST FOR THIS. because oh yes... theres more [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Now, This has been discussed many times before but I'd like to delve in it deeper, what maiden album is "the best" and why?
Iron Maiden was a good album for a first album because honestly most bands don't get noticed until their third outing (including maiden). It is a very good album and while the sound is different that is precisely what makes it a good album. Killers was a HUGE step forward in the songwriting, much better album than the first but the SOUND is different so I don't think it is fair to compare it to the first. Again with Number of the Beast, new singer and again a different sound.. what has become known as the "trademark" sound of maiden. However I don't think Bruce was that great (read above) since in songs like Invaders, Aces High, Flight of Icarus he is actually annoying. Somewhere in time was/is their most accessible album with a very mainstream feel and the addition of the synths again make it hard to compare it to the rest. The 7th son IMO is a bad album, the overall feel, the weaker songs and too much synth don't make it hold up too much. I can't say too much about Fear of the Dark and No prayer for the dying, but most people tend not to like the albums for bruce's horrible singing and the weak material by "maiden standards" While I don't think The X Factor is one of their best it was a very refreshing album because Blazes voice was a good change and they had a deeper, darker sound that I liked. It is a good album just like Iron Maiden, Killers and Number of the Beast are good albums, they had a distinct sound and feel. When people say Maiden got their trademark sound back with Brave New World I think "Powerslave" not "The 80's".

What am I trying to say? I've come to appreciate music very differently than I used to and while I still think who makes up a band is important I think the name on the cover of a cd is more important than the name under each song. And I focus more on album by album than what "x" band has done from tht 80's till now or whatever timespan. Records ARE like children (as many artist refer to them) not only do you love them all and some more than others (hehe) but they are all unique and in the end worth listening to for their own sake. Unless they reallly suck [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back