British Lion 2013 Tour

Not sure what you mean by ultimately in this context but all other members did it as well when they toured solo or with another band, (apart from Adrian although he did it with the Entire Population of Hackney project in 1985).

But yeah it would be just swell if people came to his shows only in Maiden t-shirts and started chanting "Maiden, Maiden, Maiden" :confused:

Not sure what you mean by ultimately in this context but all other members did it as well when they toured solo or with another band, (apart from Adrian although he did it with the Entire Population of Hackney project in 1985).

Yes, but this isn't a solo band. It is a band called British Lion. At least that is my understanding of this band. They are not out to promote Steve and what he can do on a bass and showcase some of his Maiden compositions...

I'm sorry but no matter how kinda cool it would be, I think it would be odd and a bit of a failure if they had to launch into "The Trooper" to satisfy the people coming out to see them...

Halfway the album.... Steve's face darkens.

"Let's launch into Troopah!"

Band continues with 10 more Maiden songs and finishes off with Cross Eyed Mary.

"As much of British Lion as possible" is not that much, unfortunately, and certainly not enough for a whole gig, as I don't see him gathering people from all Europe for just a 60 minute show. So I just tried to figured out how he could fill the time left. The thing is, I don't care : what I want is seeing him onstage in a small venue. Even an average version of a Maiden song would be great, because the public would just have fun : aybe nothing worth recording and listening at home, but a great live moment anyway. But I get your point about him wanting to keep things separate.

Halfway the album.... Steve's face darkens.

"Let's launch into Troopah!"

Band continues with 10 more Maiden songs and finishes off with Cross Eyed Mary.

Richard Taylor (thats the vocalist by the way) grabs a Union Jack and paces around the stage. Crowd goes wild.

"As much of British Lion as possible" is not that much, unfortunately, and certainly not enough for a whole gig, as I don't see him gathering people from all Europe for just a 60 minute show. So I just tried to figured out how he could fill the time left. The thing is, I don't care : what I want is seeing him onstage in a small venue. Even an average version of a Maiden song would be great, because the public would just have fun : aybe nothing worth recording and listening at home, but a great live moment anyway. But I get your point about him wanting to keep things separate.

That is what I was trying to find out earlier..for how long do metal/rock bands play at such venues nowadays. Maybe 80 min? I don't know. I don't expect them to put on a Maiden length show that's for sure.

Yes, from a Maiden fan perspective I can see your point. We would all like seeing that. The only thing it would prove though is that the band is nothing without Steve and that their own music actually really doesn't matter two s***t to anyone, not even the band itself, because everyone is just there to see the guy from Maiden. I think (hope) that the band is out to promote themselves and their music. Steve is out to do something else from what he normally does, which he also clearly states in the press release.

Since I heard that horrible version with Lemmy "singing" The Trooper, I find Blaze's renditions quite good. And Steve seems to appreciate Taylor a lot.

I've seen a few wee diddy bands at tiny venues (i.e. less than 1000) & they've all played normal 1.5-2 hours sets, if I recall; nothing noticeably short. Granted none had only one album out. In fact, thinking way back, I remember seeing Korn (at the Barrowlands in Glasgow) after they had their first album out (maybe the second album was out, I can't quite recall) --& they were off the stage after just over an hour. Everyone expected an encore, but they never came back on. Shortest gig I've ever been to --& a massive disappointment, at the time (--when I was a kid.)

Anyway, I don't know what Harris will do. I imagine the whole album, a couple of covers; and probably no Maiden.

Would really like to see it, and Manchester is a Saturday, ideal day for me. But I don't think I can talk anyone I know into it :(

Back