Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

How good is Brighter Than A Thousand Suns on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

Everything has been said. One of the big ones. When I first heard it, I remembered how Kevin Shirley wrote in his diaries that this album has a very special "groove" to it, and I knew exactly what he meant. This, folks, is why A Matter of Life and Death is one of their very best albums. 10/10.  :shred:

The force coming from these riffs is immense. The song has some of the most striking lyrics Bruce ever did. For the ones who don't know this little piece of trivia: some years ago a member called kwok fu seng found out that this is the only Iron Maiden song containing an Adrian and a Janick solo (and no Dave solo). He (and I) wondered if that would change, but it still hasn't. :)

10/10

I feel the way most here do, the song is nothing short of amazing. One of those tunes that just grabs you right away (rather than songs that take time to get into).

Wish they would've made that main riff into a guitar harmony at some points during the song, but that's about as major as my complaints will get regarding this composition.

Wow! What an amazing song with so many different parts and nothing but super amazing vocal performances! I just love the end too when we get a tons of "Out of the darkness. Brighter than a thousand suns!" parts from Bruce! Still not my most favorite song from the album which is The Legacy. 9/10

A very good song, love the guitars on this one, excellent performance from Bruce, I give it a very high 7.

Re: These Colours Don

SneakySneaky said:
At first when I heard the low quality mp3 version I wasn't impressed.  But when I got the album,  read those wonderful lyrics that give shivers,  and then listened to it,  I realized I was wrong.  It's the best one in the album imo,  heavy,  atmospheric,  just great.  This is the album's Paschendale (not as good as Paschendale,  but very close).

I think exactly the same mate, its a hell of a song that reminds one a lot of Paschendale, but slightly weaker... and I have a question, does anyone know who wrote the lyrics and who wrote the music separately? As far as I know, this song was written by H and Harris 0or Bruce wrote the words, but I'm not sure...

S6T6N said:
As far as I know, this song was written by H and Harris 0or Bruce wrote the words, but I'm not sure...

You're correct, sir! Bruce wrote 5 lyrics on the album - TCDR, BTATS, TLD, OOTS & LOL; the remaining are Harris, but it seems Jan wrote words for The Pilgrim (they sound quite poetical with great rhymes, as in The Mercenary, which seems to be another of Jan's lyrical contributuions).

Favorite on the album.. Slightly ahead of Breeg. For whatever reason "Whatever would Robert have said to his god, how he made war with the son," gets me.

Not a big fan of this song, really. It may be a good piece of musicianship from everyone involved - I can acknowledge that it´s an interesting song from a musician´s point of view, but I find the melodies too weak throughout. The vocal melody in the verse is downright terrible, and the chorus line is only slightly better. In my opinion the strongest points of this song are instrumental - the big, heavy main riff, Nicko´s drumming, the riffs behind the solo....those are excellent parts, but this is a very long song, and would need more good parts in to work for me.

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns is always going to be brought up as a highlight of the album, if only for the lyrical subject at first glance. That does however mean that the music go absolutely hand in hand with the lyrical subject and project a dark and powerful tale which offers little comfort on the development and use of the first atomic bomb.

We will feel the pain of His beginning

I've just noticed this, but on the studio version, doesn't it sound like the guitar comes in too early and veils Bruce singing the bolded? After double checking a live performance, the guitar comes in once Bruce finishes his sentence, which makes me think it might have been a production error on the album.

The guitar riff there is in 7/4, so it's actually meant to sound like it enters a beat early. However, it is on time. Bruce extends the end of the phrase on the album. Does he sing it faster on your live version and get to the end sooner?

It's not noticeably faster, but the song starts at 0:11 and ends around 8:40, making it about 15 seconds shorter than the album version.

There's a lot of odd meter on AMOLAD that Bruce changes live (from what I've heard). It seems like he's rushing or stretching at various parts on the album, but it makes perfect sense musically. Live, he tends to do whatever feels natural, which is obviously not hitting the end of the melody exactly on point.

The main riff could do with a bit less repetition throughout the song.Apart from that a very solid song.One of the better post reunion songs.

Back