Brave New World's production - Maiden's cleanest?

I agree, it's a matter of taste. I totally get some people like the sound of DoD - it's just that my ears hurt after a while when I listen to it in my headphones. I really can't help it. That's how I came to understand what "brickwalled" really is. Because even when I turn the volume down a lot, the sound is still unpleasant. Just like with the aforementioned albums. Or a lot of metal today - Nile's Annihilation of the Wicked is nearly unlistenable, I had to download the vinyl rip to actually listen to it.

And I'm no audiophile, mind you - a lot of my music is in 192, with medium-priced headphones and speakers. I'm not that picky as far as sound is concerned. But if my head aches after 1-3 songs, that's where I draw the line. DoD is great to listen to in car, I admit (just like VXI, by the way). But again, IRYO. :)

I completely agree about the second paragraph.

Someone said XFactor was one of the cleanest sounding albums, and I disagree with that. To my ears the cleanest sounding Maiden albums are BNW and VXI. I think DoD is almost up there with them but not quite. Those two are by far the cleanest.

I don't have anything against this. I love BNW and VXI (I'll battle to the death to defend VXI ;p ). But it's good to see them sounding more like classic Maiden. As I've said before, it started with AMoLAD. That was the album where the classic Maiden sound fused with the new Maiden style. The last three records have the raw sound of their classic records and the progressiveness of their new stuff.

I'd say it's up there with Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son, which are incidentally my favourite albums along with BNW.

SiT is anything but clean. The guitars, I mean. It's all echo-y chorus-y mush and you can't make out what they are playing, especially if it's riffs or something rhythmic. Fortunately, SiT is much more melody driven than riffy, so it kinda works (and makes for a unique sounding album). But clean it's not

AMOLAD was recorded the way they should record all of their albums. It was recoded at the speed they play it live and the way Bruce would sing it live. That may be why a live album never came of that tour.

AMOLAD was recorded the way they should record all of their albums. It was recoded at the speed they play it live and the way Bruce would sing it live. That may be why a live album never came of that tour.
That's actually a pretty good point. Plus, a live album would basically be AMOLAD + a few classics at the end... Not that appealing to most fans.

Back