Brave New World

How good is Brave New World on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A really nice quiet opening with some really dark yet picturesque lyrics builds into a great song based on Aldous Huxley's novel. The chorus here is excellent despite the repetition, with Bruce utilizing some really great vocals for it. Also love the instrumental section, which is one of the best on the album. I like this song a lot. 9

Beautiful intro starts this great song (one of the best intros by Maiden). Awesome verses and the chorus is great. Both solos are great (especially Janick's one)..., the triple-lead guitar harmony after them is superb (unmistakable Maiden). Bruce's vocals through the whole song are very good too. One of the best title tracks from the band. A true classic and a very favorite song of mine. 10/10.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

7/10

Wait, a one-two-three punch?! Damn right it is. While this song suffers from some infamous repetition that has been memed to hell and back on this server, the song itself is strong and memorable because of that repetition. And also that main riff. This is the first of Murray's credits on the album - it just goes to show how far the man had gotten with his songwriting craft.

This is a perfect song for me, everything is there, lyrics, music, production, innovative intro, great chorus. Very inspiring, very Maiden, a bridge between the 1980s and 2000s like if the 90s did never happen.

Using classic literature as source material isn’t new for Maiden, but this song does the source material more justice than what is typical (particularly with lyrics from Steve). It isn’t a simple retelling of the original story and manages to sufficiently separate itself.

Musically, this song has it all. The slow mesmerizing intro, fantastic riffs, and an amazing instrumental section. The Janick/Dave trade off shows a chemistry that we didn’t really see in full effect in the 90s. Janick’s solo captures the frustration of the protagonist while Dave’s has much more melancholia. The three way harmony reminds us that the band has a new dimension to their sound. Great stuff.

This isn’t a perfect 10 like the other two songs, it mostly loses a point by relying a little too heavily on that opening melody. It feels like this song runs out of ideas fast, even though the chorus is crushing and the instrumental is great.

Back