The Fallen Angel 8/10
The Nomad 9/10
Out of the Silent Planet 10/10
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate 9/10

Average song rating: 9,3
Overall album rating 96% !!

BRAVE NEW WORLD (2000)

1. The Wicker Man - 10/10
Talk about making a good first impression. The opening riff here is undeniably metal, and its anthemic nature helps make this the perfect song with which to usher Bruce and Adrian back into the fold.

2. Ghost Of The Navigator - 10/10
A heavy as fuck riff leads this song, a mythically inspired powerhouse of all that makes Maiden great.

3. Brave New World - 10/10
The title was a good reference to the band’s new era, yet the lyrics are some of the darkest the band has ever written. Another monster, repetitive or not.

4. Blood Brothers - 10/10
Written with much of the same train of thought as Como Estais Amigos, this one takes a more anthemic route and is a modern classic for a reason.

5. The Mercenary - 10/10
Holy shit, the energy and bite on display. The pre-chorus is amazing and the real thing only makes it better.

6. Dream Of Mirrors - 10/10
Absolutely blinding chorus. A building whirlwind of a track.

7. The Fallen Angel - 10/10
An aggressive rocker from the perspective of the devil himself. Absolutely killer.

8. The Nomad - 10/10
It’s a shame about the plagiarism, but that doesn’t bring down my appreciation of the song any. A monster track with a lot of Eastern flair going on.

9. Out Of The Silent Planet - 10/10
A Top 10 Maiden song for sure. Holy shit is that break into the verse epic as fuck.

10. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate - 10/10
What a way to end such a magnificent album. The verse is weird (in a good way) and the second half is absolutely beautiful. Wow.

Third album with absolutely no flaws to be seen. Just the sort of mammoth release needed to boost up popularity for Bruce’s return. Incredible album.

Rating: 100%

You haven't heard BNW?
Nope, Haven't heard any albums past No Prayer barring AMOLAD and TBOS. I've been holding off on BNW until I can find a Vinyl copy. It is on my list to review every studio album at some point, just when is the current predicament. I also have a few Maiden Live records to listen to...

Nope, Haven't heard any albums past No Prayer barring AMOLAD and TBOS. I've been holding off on BNW until I can find a Vinyl copy. It is on my list to review every studio album at some point, just when is the current predicament. I also have a few Maiden Live records to listen to...
Whoa. Yeah I would definitely get right on that lol. Coincidentally BNW is the only studio album I am missing on Vinyl.

Whoa. Yeah I would definitely get right on that lol. Coincidentally BNW is the only studio album I am missing on Vinyl.
I have all the albums I’ve listened to in Vinyl plus 3 live albums, own all but the X factor on CD. So I could listen but I’d prefer to wait until I find the vinyl copy

I only haven’t bought my copy because I like going into the record store and having no idea if they’ll have it or not. It’s a mystery. I kind of find it exciting. If I was super desperate I would have purchased it on Amazon already.

My Ratings

The Wicker Man: 8,5
Ghost Of The Navigator: 9
Brave New World: 10
Blood Brothers: 7
The Mercenary: 7,5
Dream Of Mirrors: 7
The Fallen Angel: 8
The Nomad: 8,5
Out Of The Silent Planet: 7
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate: 10

Overall: 8,3

The Wickerman - 9/10
Ghost Of The Navigator - 8.5/10
Brave New World - 8/10
Blood Brothers - 10/10
The Mercenary - 9/10
Dream Of Mirrors - 8.5/10
The Fallen Angel - 10/10
The Nomad - 9.5/10
Out Of The Silent Planet - 8/10
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate - 10/10

Overall 90%

The Wickerman - 9/10
Ghost Of The Navigator - 8.5/10
Brave New World - 8/10
Blood Brothers - 10/10
The Mercenary - 9/10
Dream Of Mirrors - 8.5/10
The Fallen Angel - 10/10
The Nomad - 9.5/10
Out Of The Silent Planet - 8/10
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate - 10/10

Overall 90%
The Fallen Angel 10/10 and BNW and OOTSP 8/10. I've never seen that before.

After listening to TXF and VXI recently the first thing that jumped out at me was how busier the drumming was on BNW, and how filled out the body of songs felt with the 3 guitars. For example, the "wilderness house of pain" verse of BNW isn't musically too different from the verses of Educated Fool or Fortunes of War but sounds monstrous compared to them.

The opening 4 tracks and last 2 are perfect 10/10 tracks, but the album drops a bit in the middle. Mercenary and Fallen Angel are fine tracks but not at the high level of those other 6.

Dream of Mirrors has great bits, the chorus for instance but a number of silly bits that drag it down, the intro and the high speed chorus, and also there's just too much lyrics which means they take ages to "get to the working overtime part" as Homer might say.

Nomad is obviously the nadir of the album. Even without the stolen section (which is great, possible one of the best parts on the album), the song would still lose a lot of marks for the frankly ridiculous lyrics, Carry on Camel as Bruce described them at the time.

10: Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, Brave New World, Blood Brothers, Out of the Silent Planet, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
8: Mercenary, Fallen Angel
7: Dream of Mirrors
6: Nomad

Back