Blind Guardian

A

Anonymous

Hey all im a very big fan of Blind guardian and im sure there are a few fans of them on here, Im thinking of buying there new album this week and just wanted to know if anyone here has it and is it a good album and has anything changed at all with the band ( i hope not )

And what do you think of this band i think there ace :D

Ok cheers , james

Lord james said:
Hey all! I'm a very big fan of Blind Guardian and I'm sure there are a few fans of them on here. I'm thinking of buying their new album this week and just wanted to know if anyone here has it and if they think it is a good album and if anything has changed at all with the band (I hope not).

And what do you think of this band? I think they're ace :D

Ok cheers , james

Hints: Commas (,) and "ands" do not substitute for full stops (.). Contractions are not made by using alternate words that sound alike. Questions require question marks (?). Shorter sentences are easier to read.

Perun said:
Hints: Commas (,) and "ands" do not substitute for full stops (.). Contractions are not made by using alternate words that sound alike. Questions require question marks (?). Shorter sentences are easier to read.

Good God!  Per got there before Mr. DICKtionary?  SMX's standards must be slipping! ^_^

I have one album by Blind Guardian (namely, Nightfall in Middle Earth), but I like them a lot.  I've heard quite a bit of their older material, and I prefer it by far to their latest albums, although both are equally good-the ridiculous number of harmonised vocals can get a bit annoying, though.  Trial By Fire is a good, catchy song, and Somewhere Far Beyond is good, fast power metal (non-Dragonforce style).  I hope to see them live at some point.

Anyway, I've got three studio albums ("Nightfall On Middle Earth", "Imaginations From The Other Side" and "Follow The Blind") as well as "Live". I like them quite a lot, even if I sometimes have troubles taking them seriously. I guess from my observations, you could call them 'Geek Metal'. Nevertheless, they are brilliant, musically, and I enjoy their music a lot.

Nightfall In Middle Earth was the first cd I ever bought...At that time I never heard of Blind Guardian, their music was so different from what I listened to in those days and it took some time for me to like it, but in the end it became one of my favourite albums. Almost all, the melodies, the lyrics (even Hansi way of singing, that I usually don't like too much :p) are simply stunning, and it has something special that I never found in other Blind Guardian albums.  -_-

Perun said:

Yea im sorry about that i am at college and its a small window and a really old keyboard so i have just been typing really fast :(

I have most of their albums and I enjoy their first two (Batallions of Fear and Follow the Blind) much more than A Night at the Opera. I didn't know they were working on a new album though. Last I heard their drummer left and formed Savage Circus (I've been meaning to get that cd for a while).

Their new albums "A twist in the myth".  Good thing about Blind Guardian is that I get to see them live a week or two after maiden pass through. 

Notes about BG
"Tales from the Twilight World" was their best album; and "Valhalla" was their best song.

A quick rundown of the new album
-> Haven't come across a bad review for it
-> A follow up of "A Night at The Opera"
-> Songs worth listening to: everything except "Carry the Blessed Home" and "The Edge"
-> How it differs from 90's BG: addition of thrash elements and modern elements; which could be heard on a Night at the opera but more explicit on this album.

Lord james said:
Yea im sorry about that i am at college and its a small window and a really old keyboard so i have just been typing really fast :(

No worries, mate. Just remember you're always in the risk of running into a grammar nazi ;)

Blind Guardian are superb.

I have four albums but am slowly buying their discography... their new album sounds great from the few tracks that I've heard and I'm definitely going to buy it.

The thing that I like about BG is that they are quite progressive... listen to Batallions of Fear and then ANATO... two completely different albums but both still sound great.  Hansi Kursch is one of my favourite vocalists, possibly ahead of Bruce and Blaze because of the vast double masking that happens on the records.

Quite true Conor. However I noticed that the double masking (or more in some songs) only occured in their later albums. If you notice in Batallions of Fear and other early records, They do have a "backing vocals" credit for other band members. However, when I heard Paschendale on DOD and I heard Bruce sing both vocals I immidiately thought he was pulling a Blind Guardian. :D

I think Blind Guardian's new album is fantasitic.  I'm a huge fan of A Night at the Opera, and I really like the direction they are going with their music.  I love how their music is more concentrated on the best aspect of the band, and that's Hansi's vocals.  If you liked ANATO, then you'll like A Twist In the Myth. :ok:

A Night at the Opera was very good, and it was a step forward from Nightfall. HOWEVER, it wasn't as impressive as Nightfall. Like Brave New World and Dance of Death for Maiden or Scences from a Memory pt. 2 and 6 degrees of inner Tension for Dream Theater. But I am curious to see where they take it. I CAN'T WAIT TO BUY IT, as I can't wait to get AMOLAD and Stratovairus' and Amorphis' 2005 releases!

Onhell said:
...2 and 6 degrees of inner Tension for Dream Theater...

Sorry to call you out on this one Onhell, but it is 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence.  I understand your mistake though.  I mess up the album name all the time.  In fact, about a year ago I typed Six Degrees of Minor Turbulence on a previous thread.  What the hell I was thinking I will never know, but you are not alone.

Actually, the main reason I exposed your mistake was to let me get a little off-topic.  I am going to have to disagree with you about comparing SFAM with 6DOIT.  I was more impressed with 6DOIT.  Personally, I don't think you can compare a concept album with an album that isn't.  When I compare SFAM with Dream Theater's other albums I disregard all the elements that make it a concept album.  If you take away the simply brilliant concepts on SFAM you are left with a great listen, but not as good as 6DOIT.  Some argue that when band makes a concept album more of the creativity goes towards the lyrics or the "story".  But an awsome band like Dream Theater should be able to do better.

I mean, look at Blind Guardian's Nightfall of Middle Earth (on topic!..sorta...).  When I first heard it I didn't realize it was a concept album.  I simply loved it though.  Then when I read the lyrics, and it made the album even better.

Point taken, however I must politely disagree. Maybe the first cd of 6DOIT can't be compared, but the second, which is supposedly one 45 min. song (but it is not since it is divided into 8 tracks) can. Plus when I compare albums in such a manner I do it exclusively from the music's point of view, because whether it is a concept album or not doesn't make it "better" or "worse", to me it is irrelevant.

However, and this is contradicting my previous point actually, I agree that the fact that Nightfall was a concept album made it "better" for me. A friend of mine played isolated tracks to me and yeah they were good. But when I finally purchased the album and heard it all the way through including the narration I was blown away.

To get back on topic, I saw Blind Guardian on Saturday. They rocked.

It's interesting how on an Iron Maiden board like this, many people like Blind Guardian yet on a Metallica board that I'm a member of, many people despise them.

And I think I know why. I had a similar conversation with a guy that really likes Tool and tolerates Dream Theater. He said Tool were "badass" and pulled the famous, yet moronic, argument of "who do you think would win in a fight?" I flat out told him a could care less who would win in a fight when their job is to make music, not box. This "tough guy" image is just that, an image, and if he buys into Tools dark image over Dream Theaters technical virtuosity good for him, but that really failed in my eyes as a good reason why to like or hate a band.

In that same vein these Metallica fans are probably still holding on the the image of the Metallica of 20 years ago before they went to rehab, therapy, got married and had kids. Thus they see Blind Guardian as "soft", "gay", "sissy" etc. Of which the only one I'm willng to admit to is "Geeky" :D.... However I really feel sorry for people that use this as their basis for liking a certain band. As Nietzche would finely put it, they have a slave mentallity :)

:ok:

Blind Guardian is one of my favourite bands.

I got A Twist in the Myth but I don't seem to enjoy it as much as I did their last four albums. I guess I need a couple of more listens.

Anyways... My favourite Blind Guardian album is Nightfall in Middle-Earth and my favourite song is 'And Then There Was Silence' which I consider to be one of the best epics in history of metal music.

Also, Thomen Stauch is one of my favourite drummers, too bad he left.

NP: Blind Guardian - Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill) :innocent:

Back