Blaze vs Paul

Which Maiden vocalist do you like better?

• Paul Di'Anno

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Blaze Bayley

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters
Originally I just meant judging by their Maiden careers, but there's been some interesting responses about their solo career and them as a person, so I'll leave the question open to interpretation :)

LooseCannon said:
I feel Virtual XI would have gone a lot further with better drumming and better production. Blaze sounds fantastic on those tracks; as noted previously, I think there are several post-reunion tracks that Steve wrote for the fellow. Blood Brothers & WTWWB comes immediately to mind.

According to Blaze's bio, the album was made in a rush, they simply should have taken more time for it.

I think that is a lesson Steve has absorbed. BNW was rushed a bit, but the rest of the reunion albums were done over long periods of time. You get the feeling the band has this certain air about them, that they can just relax and get it done.

Indeed. Though I also think that Maiden took their time for Somewhere in Time and The X-Factor (which took very long according to Blaze ;-) ), and perhaps some more albums (maybe SSOASS and Powerslave).

SinisterMinisterX said:
Blaze. Paul was good, got the job done, but Blaze is the man.

While there's some great stuff on the first 2 albums, it isn't Paul that makes it great. It's Steve and Dave with a bit of Clive.

But can you imagine The X Factor sung by Bruce? Blaze was perfect for that record.

Agreed. dave and steve made them first 2 records what they are and for me clive only began to shine on notb.

I think they both suited their periods

I don't know what you mean with shine but I think Clive's playing was way more fresh and exciting on Genghis Khan, Phantom of the Opera, Prowler, Transylvania, Purgatory,well.. basically on most songs from the first two albums.

On most songs from his last album, it sounds like someone told him to hold his horses. Not as much as Nicko on VXI but you get the picture (less variation, more repetitive patterns and you can even hear it in his breaks as well).

Forostar said:
Indeed. Though I also think that Maiden took their time for Somewhere in Time and The X-Factor (which took very long according to Blaze ;-) ), and perhaps some more albums (maybe SSOASS and Powerslave).

Eh, Powerslave? Slightly over a year after Piece of Mind. And the actual recording was done months earlier, since the tour started in August. (But of course, I know there doesn't strictly have to be a direct correlation between the time between two albums and the time used to make the second one, so for all I know, they may have been working with ideas for Powerslave since the day they released Piece of Mind)

My impression is they have gradually slowed down in a more or less predictable way throughout their career, with the possible exception of VXI and BNW.

Back