Blaze co-wrote tracks on Brave New World?

Invader said:
The Glorious Burden is better than Burnt Offerings.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Burnt Offerings is my favourite Iced Earth album and one of their best, whereas The Glorious Burden is some good, some great, but a lot of meh (especially considering that in Canada it doesn't even come with Gettysburg!).

I'm still pissed at Jon at picking the best and then the three worst songs to go on Alive In Athens from Burnt Offerings.  It's like he secretly wants his fans to hate it as much as he does.

As for lyrics, I think Iced Earth does farely well in that department.  I say they're comparable to your average Steve-written lyrics.

How does thou receive this fate?
She asks of her own mind
Purity, innocence, encourage death
Life... gone is mine

I also ask of you my lord
Thy god in heaven
For I understand the error of mans ways
But of creation and the seven days
When was created the murky haze
From which the beast has risen

GuineaPig said:
(especially considering that in Canada it doesn't even come with Gettysburg!).

I'm still pissed at Jon at picking the best and then the three worst songs to go on Alive In Athens from Burnt Offerings.  It's like he secretly wants his fans to hate it as much as he does.

I've got the version where Gettysburg is on a separate CD.  It gives the trilogy the recognition it needs.

I guess I'll have to check out the rest of Burnt Offerings though.

Good idea Invader, when I heard BO for the first time I was surprised to hear that the non-AiA tracks were so strong.

Oops, wrong thread.

Err, Foro- don't worry. My comment to LC was because his post obviously belonged to no5's latest thread. ;)

Burnt offerings is also my favorite IE album :) The only track I don't like is Speared Spirit, or Pierced Spirit, some crap like that... the rest are Awesome.

Onhell said:
Burnt offerings is also my favorite IE album :) The only track I don't like is Speared Spirit, or Pierced Spirit, some crap like that... the rest are Awesome.

I quite like the piano interlude.  It's like a breath of fresh air before plunging into "Dante's Inferno".

Was it Blood Brothers, The Mercenary, Dream of Mirrors and The Nomad?
Yes.

Blaze has stated, after that he was presented with Adrian's comments, that he co-wrote Dream of Mirrors (Gers/Harris) and recorded some vocals on a demo of Blood Brothers (Harris):

7:17

They bought him out from Dream of Mirrors though and therefore didn't have to credit him. And the Blood Brothers demo was propably just Steve's own recording, meant to present the track in a basic way.

Last edited:
OK I will try to answer most of the questions I saw here about the 4 songs from the Blaze era used on Brave New World.

1. Blood Brother - Steve had most of the lyrics (not the complete song) around the Virtual XI era. This was confirmed by Harris himself in an interview he gave to Rod Yates of Kerrang! in 2011. By the way, Steve's father died in November 1983.

2. The Mercenary - Supposedly in an interview carried out by Kevin Lomax, Adrian said that 'The Mercenary' was one of four songs that were written during the sessions for Virtual XI. Now, notice I say supposedly and this is because I contacted the magazine where the interview was supposedly printed and the magazine couldn't confirm it. I have also spend many years trying to find it with no avail. Now, this interview by Kevin Lomax may be the interview that is quoted in the interview performed in The Metal Voice YouTube channel with Blaze (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe-7adSpjZb8JjZkWYby2cg). Note: Blaze said in an interview performed by the fanzine Neighbour Of The Beast (August 1998) that there were three songs written during the Virtual XI sessions that weren't used and that would probably end in the next album.

3. Dream Of Mirrors - Blaze confirmed in an interview he gave to the Metal Voice in October 2014 that this song was demoed, along with Blood Brothers and another song. Notice that between 1998 and 2014 he says that three and not four song that would end up in Brave New World were written when he was still in the band.

4. The Nomad - Once again this comes from the alleged interview Adrian gave to Kevin Lomax.

OK I will try to answer most of the questions I saw here about the 4 songs from the Blaze era used on Brave New World.

1. Blood Brother - Steve had most of the lyrics (not the complete song) around the Virtual XI era. This was confirmed by Harris himself in an interview he gave to Rod Yates of Kerrang! in 2011. By the way, Steve's father died in November 1983.

2. The Mercenary - Supposedly in an interview carried out by Kevin Lomax, Adrian said that 'The Mercenary' was one of four songs that were written during the sessions for Virtual XI. Now, notice I say supposedly and this is because I contacted the magazine where the interview was supposedly printed and the magazine couldn't confirm it. I have also spend many years trying to find it with no avail. Now, this interview by Kevin Lomax may be the interview that is quoted in the interview performed in The Metal Voice YouTube channel with Blaze (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe-7adSpjZb8JjZkWYby2cg). Note: Blaze said in an interview performed by the fanzine Neighbour Of The Beast (August 1998) that there were three songs written during the Virtual XI sessions that weren't used and that would probably end in the next album.

3. Dream Of Mirrors - Blaze confirmed in an interview he gave to the Metal Voice in October 2014 that this song was demoed, along with Blood Brothers and another song. Notice that between 1998 and 2014 he says that three and not four song that would end up in Brave New World were written when he was still in the band.

4. The Nomad - Once again this comes from the alleged interview Adrian gave to Kevin Lomax.
"The interviewer, Kevin Lomax, had the following to say about the issue: "I did the interview in the Sanctuary Music London after a brief preview of the 'Dance of Death' album. The interview was with Adrian Smith. I had fears before asking that question, because maybe Steve Harris might have said 'Don't tell.' Anyway, I asked and he said that 'Nomad' (which I'm surprised),'Dream of Mirrors' (not surprised in any way!) and 'Mercenary' (the worst song of 'BNW' from 'Virtual XI', that's obvious!) were from 'Virtual XI'. He couldnt remember the fourth one. And I asked if 'Blood Brothers' could be one of them, because it has similar melodies [to] 'Educated Fool'. He said no, it was not. He thought for a while but he couldnt remember the fourth. (Maybe didnt want to answer)"

"The interviewer, Kevin Lomax, had the following to say about the issue: "I did the interview in the Sanctuary Music London after a brief preview of the 'Dance of Death' album. The interview was with Adrian Smith. I had fears before asking that question, because maybe Steve Harris might have said 'Don't tell.' Anyway, I asked and he said that 'Nomad' (which I'm surprised),'Dream of Mirrors' (not surprised in any way!) and 'Mercenary' (the worst song of 'BNW' from 'Virtual XI', that's obvious!) were from 'Virtual XI'. He couldnt remember the fourth one. And I asked if 'Blood Brothers' could be one of them, because it has similar melodies [to] 'Educated Fool'. He said no, it was not. He thought for a while but he couldnt remember the fourth. (Maybe didnt want to answer)"

Yeah notice that blabermouth still cited MaidenFans.com as the source of the supposed interview Kevin Lomax did and to this day NO ONE has been able to produce the orginal interview which supposedly was printed in a magazine

Here's the White Spirit track from 1981:

Janick and a keyboard player is playing those riffs.

It's also funny that the lyrical theme is very similar to the lyrics in The Mercenary - "killing to survive".

Last edited:
Back