Blaze co-wrote tracks on Brave New World?

The issue is mostly about money, Onhell - at least in theory. When songs get played on the radio, royalties are distributed to the songwriters, not the performers. If Maiden received any radio airplay of songs that Blaze helped write, then he's not getting the royalties.

This is why LC was right above - if Blaze signed any nondisclosure agreement, he only did so for money if he was smart. The question would be, did he get enough money to compensate for lost royalties?

Odds are he did, since the songs under discussion have received very little radio play.

I don't know if songwriters get more money for record sales. I think the performer gets that money. So Blaze likely didn't lose anything there.

SinisterMinisterX said:
The issue is mostly about money, Onhell - at least in theory. When songs get played on the radio, royalties are distributed to the songwriters, not the performers. If Maiden received any radio airplay of songs that Blaze helped write, then he's not getting the royalties.

This is why LC was right above - if Blaze signed any nondisclosure agreement, he only did so for money if he was smart. The question would be, did he get enough money to compensate for lost royalties?

Odds are he did, since the songs under discussion have received very little radio play.

I don't know if songwriters get more money for record sales. I think the performer gets that money. So Blaze likely didn't lose anything there.

And this is the reason why those Blaze-haters who think Maiden should re-record TXF and VXI with Bruce on vocals, should have their asses kicked. The albums haven't sold that well before, and I guess that with proper marketing a re-recording would sell better than the originals. Of course, 'Arry wouldn't do that because he's not married to $haron, like Ozzy Osbourne is (you remember the story with bass and drums on two of Ozzy's albums being re-recorded, 'aight?).

This raises another question (I'm just curious); Are there any other known bands/artists who have done this?

My memory is a bit hazy there, but I think Black Sabbath had an entire album recorded and ready with another singer when Ozzy decided to come back in... what, 1978 I think.

When Rykodisc got the rights to re-release the Frank Zappa catalog in the 1980s, Zappa himself was involved with those reissues. And for one of them - We're Only In It For The Money - he had the drums and bass re-recorded by members of his then-current band.

Zappa fans who have heard both versions are almost unanimous in the verdict that the original version was far superior to the new one. (That includes me and my opinion.)

As for the Ozzy records - I've only heard the original versions. With all due respect to Robert Trujillo, who I think is an amazing bassist, I have no desire to hear the new version. I think Bob Daisley's original bass on that album was absolutely brilliant.

I don't understand all this to be honest.

Priest's "Victim of Changes", which is on the 2nd Priest album, features a credit of previous singer Atkins.
Isn't there one (or more) song(s) on Metallica's "Kill' Em All" album with a Dave Mustaine credit?
Hell, even Iron Maiden did it before. "Hooks In You" (Dickinson / Smith)

Eddies Wingman said:
And this is the reason why those Blaze-haters who think Maiden should re-record TXF and VXI with Bruce on vocals, should have their asses kicked. The albums haven't sold that well before, and I guess that with proper marketing a re-recording would sell better than the originals. Of course, 'Arry wouldn't do that because he's not married to $haron, like Ozzy Osbourne is (you remember the story with bass and drums on two of Ozzy's albums being re-recorded, 'aight?).

This raises another question (I'm just curious); Are there any other known bands/artists who have done this?

I don't think Steve would allow it because its vastly disrespectful to Blaze to say we think this would sell better with Bruce on it. Steve has maintained his liking for what Blaze did.

Gamma Ray re-recorded some old songs for Blast From The Past with Kai Hanson on vocals but to be fair they also re-recorded some old Kai Hanson songs again too so I would say that was done quite respectfully

Real World said:
Gamma Ray re-recorded some old songs for Blast From The Past with Kai Hanson on vocals but to be fair they also re-recorded some old Kai Hanson songs again too so I would say that was done quite respectfully

Yes that was a best-of album. This is what Ralf Scheepers had to say about it:

-----
- Another thing: Five years ago Gamma Ray released a best-of album and they re-recorded their old songs from the first three albums. And they did not keep your voice.

Ralf: I was a little bit surprised in the beginning. But in the end I spoke to Kai, and he told me why they did it. Just to get a brand-new vibe to it all. Well, in the end, I have no problems with it at all. But many fans prefer the stuff from the originals. Which is always a matter of taste, of course. So I don't want to get into trouble by saying that I also love the originals hehe.

-----

By the way, I have never read or heard anything about re-recording vocals for those Maiden albums before. Weird idea.

Real World said:
I don't think Steve would allow it because its vastly disrespectful to Blaze to say we think this would sell better with Bruce on it. Steve has maintained his liking for what Blaze did.

In other words, what you mean is this:

This guy:
Steve_Harris-4353.jpg

is not this guy:

Jon_Schaffer-12315.jpg

Real World said:

Indeed, this is the argument I use against those that want this to happen.

My only wish was that The X Factor could have been recorded better or at the very least release an official live album for that era, because those songs sound so much better anywhere but on the album.

It hasn't been announced officially, but Schaffer's said in interviews he plans to re-record The Glorious Burden and Framing Armageddon with Barlow, to be released with The Crucible of Man and a live CD/DVD of the current tour in a box set.

So yes, I am glad that Steve isn't Jon.

Why The Glorious Burden?  They recorded it with Barlow but Schaffer wasn't happy with the result, so why should it work this time?  Framing Armageddon, on the other hand, was written for Ripper, and as we saw from the EP, Barlow massacres Ripper's songs just as badly as Ripper massacres Barlow's songs.

I personally would like to hear more Blaze songs sung by Bruce since I think Bruce does Blaze's songs as well as Blaze does.  Not as a re-recording, though; live would be good, like in Rock in Rio and Death on the Road.  Or if they made a 90s history tour, then they should make a DVD of that tour.

Glorious Burden would have been crap even if Schaffer had gotten Luciano Pavarotti to sing on it.

One hundred miles an hour
Top speed his plane would fly
And if he flew behind you
You know you're sure to die
Eighty kills, that are confirmed
While other pilots had so much more to leeeeeaaaaarn

The Glorious Burden is better than Burnt Offerings.

Or maybe not, but that's been my perception.  I've only heard parts of the album, those on Alive in Athens (Last December, Brainwashed, Diary, and Dante's Inferno), but I would assume those are the best tracks.  Judging those tracks, the only one that is above average (to me) is Dante's Inferno, which is absolutely outstanding.  The Glorious Burden has Declaration Day, Attila, Waterloo which are all good, and Gettysburg which is excellent.  Dante's Inferno trumps Gettysburg though the latter is also very good, but overall TGB seems to be better.

Unless the rest of Burnt Offerings is better than the stuff on Alive in Athens.

And since we like quoting lyrics:

King Darius the third defeated fled Persia
the Scythians fell by the river Jaxartes
Then Egypt fell to the Macedon King as well
and he founded the city called Alexandria
By the Tigris river he met King Darius again
and crushed him again in the battle of Arbela
Entering Babylon and Susa treasures he found
took Persepolis the capital of Persia

Alexander the Great
His name struck fear into hearts of men
Alexander the Great
Became a God amongst mortal men

Horrible song, no? ;)

Alive At Athens unfortunately does not contain "Burnt Offerings" and "Burning Oasis", two stunning tracks. You should listen to Burnt Offerings in its entirety, as it is one of those albums that only truly unfold when all tracks are in context.

With all means I attempted to evaluate the quality of Glorious Burden, I have never managed to conclude anything else than that it is a mediocre album. It has some great tracks (Gettysburg, Declaration Day) and some good tracks (Attila, Waterloo, Valley Forge), but the rest is, mildly speaking, disposable. The songwriting is weak (No Jon, a song requires more than a riff), the lyrics range from laughable (Red Baron/Blue Max) to offensive (When The Eagle Pukes) and the entire album is held together by a lyrical "concept" that could have been come up with by a kid who played too many video games. I used to enjoy this album far more, but I recently noticed how I always skip the tracks from it I put on my MP3 player. Had Schaffer decided to put only Gettysburg and Declaration Day on it, maybe it would have been a great album.

In fact, I came to the conclusion that Glorious Burden is not even so much an album as much more a 78-minute JS ego trip. At least he rediscovered the art of songwriting for Framing Armageddon.

And yeah, the lyrics to Alexander The Great are crap. But that is one of perhaps two or three cases in the entire Maiden discography, whereas Iced Earth's works are full of lyrical delights such as:

For the last time I've been betrayed
Never again will I subject myself to this hypocrisy
Something is drawing me to the other side
Only time will tell my true destiny

Why does no one understand
What we have is real
This is not your average love
It's forever

I revel in your agony
I violate and make you die

Etc, etc.

I would like to stress, though, that I am a huge Iced Earth fan, and although I think lyrics are not their strong points (save for some exceptions), the rest more than makes up for it. Except for Glorious Burden.

Let's face it, Iron Maiden isn't exactly high on Wikipedia's watch list.  They depend on good fans to remove unsourced/bullshit stuff like this.  It's not like Obama's article which is watched like a hawk.  So, no, no surprise that these numbers are bullshit, or at least, terribly sourced and unbelievable.

And I think that Gettysburg makes up for all the terrible lyrics in songs like Red Baron.

Holy fuck!  Way for me to merge two thought patterns into one!  This is what happens when LC doesn't have caffeine in the morning.  I'd fix it, but nah.  I'm willing to accept my epic fail.

Back