Blaze Bayley: new 'Best Of' CD

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
BLAZE BAYLEY: 'Best Of' CD Out Now - Jan. 5, 2008 

Former IRON MAIDEN/WOLFSBANE frontman Blaze Bayley has released a "best-of" collection through his own label. The CD, which can be ordered via the Planetblaze.com webshop, features the following track listing:

01. Born As A Stranger
02. Ghost In The Machine
03. Stare At The Sun (Live)
04. Silicon Messiah
05. The Launch (Live)
06. Kill And Destroy
07. Land Of The Blind
08. Living Someone Else's Life
09. Tenth Dimension (Live)
10. Leap Of Faith
11. Blood And Belief
12. Ten Seconds
13. Hollow Head
14. Soundtrack Of My LIfe
15. Alive (Live)

Ah, yes.  Because this makes perfect sense to do after three studio albums.

Would it be more interesting if it were some sort of anthology of Blaze's career and span all from Wolfsbane to now?

That'd be really hard to do, with the cross-label stuff...hard to tell who owns the distribution rights to the Wolfsbane and Maiden things.

LooseCannon said:
Ah, yes.  Because this makes perfect sense to do after three studio albums.

Yeah, but the band which did those albums is over, so it makes more sense for them to do it this way, so they can effectively split up the 'era's' of the band...

I may be wrong to ask this, but why didn't he include any of his Maiden tracks on there? The Clansman, Sign Of the Cross, Futureal, Virus, Man On the Edge...  :innocent:

Powergirl81 said:
I may be wrong to ask this, but why didn't he include any of his Maiden tracks on there? The Clansman, Sign Of the Cross, Futureal, Virus, Man On the Edge...  :innocent:

Its the best of his solo stuff. Not his career. Thats why it doesnt inlcude any Wolfsbane stuff either.

LooseCannon said:
That'd be really hard to do, with the cross-label stuff...
True, but it's not impossible. And it would make it a slightly more justifiable case for releasing a "best of".

I still wouldn't buy it as I have all the originals anyway. Aside from "All hells breaking loose..." :D

Powergirl81 said:

Even if he wanted to, I suspect Maiden would refuse to give him the rights to release Iron Maiden recordings (i.e. the studio versions).

However, Ardius must be right: this CD is about Blaze solo songs - because if he wanted to release a live version of a Maiden song from his own band, there's nothing Maiden can do to stop him. Legally, it would be considered a cover version, and those are completely legal.

That's why, for example, most songs on the Guitar Hero series are re-recordings. It avoids having to ask the original artists for permission.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Even if he wanted to, I suspect Maiden would refuse to give him the rights to release Iron Maiden recordings (i.e. the studio versions).

However, Ardius must be right: this CD is about Blaze solo songs - because if he wanted to release a live version of a Maiden song from his own band, there's nothing Maiden can do to stop him. Legally, it would be considered a cover version, and those are completely legal.

That's why, for example, most songs on the Guitar Hero series are re-recordings. It avoids having to ask the original artists for permission.

No, they still have to pay to make a cover. They just have to pay less than going after the masters.

Ardius is right, though releasing covers is usually quite cheap compared to getting the actual masters.

The reason Blaze was likely allowed to sing most songs he did for As Live As It Gets was that he had writing credits on most of them, and thus, has some claim to intellectual property.  I don't think Maiden's going to charge too much for the rights to do covers, it's all free publicity for them really. The masters...never.

I think people are getting confused, the band is now called Blaze bayley rather than just Blaze, so that's why there's nothing from Maiden or wolfsbane...... :smartarse:

How does that make sense?  The band is called Blaze Bayley, sure, but how does that exclude things from Maiden or Wolfsbane?  Seriously.  A band name change, a very minor band name change, does not copyright law alter.

LooseCannon said:
How does that make sense?  The band is called Blaze Bayley, sure, but how does that exclude things from Maiden or Wolfsbane?  Seriously.  A band name change, a very minor band name change, does not copyright law alter.

Because the greatest hits album is a greatest hits of songs by the band Blaze Bayley, not Blaze himself!

Back