Black vinyl releases

Christopher Baines

Educated Fool
I think we all agree black vinyl has better listening quality but I wondered what you would like Maiden to release on black vinyl next. I think they are probably done with re releases but if they did i'd like to see Maiden England on black vinyl, ARLO and ARDO although I know there are issues with that and that the original is out there on black vinyl. Anything else we'd like to see? Also I have read why ARLO and ARDO haven't been re issues but cant remember why, anyone remind me?

I have the Maiden England-2lp and it sounds pretty good eventhough it is picture vinyl.

I would like to own ARLO, ARDO and also Live At Donington, but not sure why they still haven't happened as there would be people interested in buying brand new, pristine pressings.
I missed the original releases, and I also refuse to pay overprice for the used copies especially because Live At Donington has fragile cover.

I think it was mentioned somewhere, might have been on the Iron Maiden Fan Club Forums years ago:
Someone mentioned that when Iron Maiden changed over to Parlophone in 2012, then they had possibility to re-release the back-catalogue on the new label. But, it might have been that the rights for the 3 live-albums were somehow left to EMI (or whatever it is nowadays) so that's the reason why they still haven't been able to re-release them. Or if they have the rights now maybe it will happen and I hope to see those being released but also hope to see some other live recording or boxsets being released someday as Harris must have all the possible recordings in his vault.

I would like to see something like a huge box set consisting of all the Maiden Donington/Download gigs. Hefty price tag? Bring it.
That would work. Also..it will be interesting what possibilities they have for releases and also some shows that have been released on cd (like Hammersmith '82 in the Eddie's Archive) hasn't yet seen official release on lp.
They could release series of boxsets..

That would work. Also..it will be interesting what possibilities they have for releases and also some shows that have been released on cd (like Hammersmith '82 in the Eddie's Archive) hasn't yet seen official release on lp.
They could release series of boxsets..
Yeah Maiden haven't really released a proper box set yet. I'm not really counting Eddies archive as its 3 CD's with stuff that's been available for years. I nice big vinyl and CD box set with proper unreleased stuff on. I'd love Beast over Hammersmith on black vinyl. Donnington 88 would be amazing and on DVD too (I know the show was filmed).Maybe some tour program replica's. I don't care how much it costs lol . If the content is good, i'll buy it.

I think Maiden actually missed the boat a bit on the latest reissues on cd atleast..as thinking of how some other bands have released expanded editions of albums or even boxsets dedicated to one album, I think there could be somehow possibility of releasign each Iron Maiden album with bonuses like all the b-sides, rarities, sessions (if any are worthwhile and interesting), live shows and etc. like the ones Metallica has released in the boxsets for each of their studio albums.

Seems very unlikely because they've just released the album again, so our best bet might be some sort of boxset.
I think it's worrying now anyways because we haven't had physical live videos or released for quite many years (En Vivo! was released in 2012 and also Maiden England'88 saw re-release on dvd in 2013).
Also, the history documentaries could be going on to the 90's but it's not known if there will be additional releases in the series.
One could be Donington 1992 show on dvd/bluray and also 3LP...I can only hope and dream.

Your thoughts?

I think Maiden actually missed the boat a bit on the latest reissues on cd atleast..as thinking of how some other bands have released expanded editions of albums or even boxsets dedicated to one album, I think there could be somehow possibility of releasign each Iron Maiden album with bonuses like all the b-sides, rarities, sessions (if any are worthwhile and interesting), live shows and etc. like the ones Metallica has released in the boxsets for each of their studio albums.

Seems very unlikely because they've just released the album again, so our best bet might be some sort of boxset.
I think it's worrying now anyways because we haven't had physical live videos or released for quite many years (En Vivo! was released in 2012 and also Maiden England'88 saw re-release on dvd in 2013).
Also, the history documentaries could be going on to the 90's but it's not known if there will be additional releases in the series.
One could be Donington 1992 show on dvd/bluray and also 3LP...I can only hope and dream.

Your thoughts?
I totally agree they missed the boat a bit. Some people on the forums moan about too many releases or too many live releases and thats possibly why they haven't released any live videos for a while. They may also be thinking of the time and money it cost to put out such projects but plenty of bands do it and plenty of bands with less money than Maiden so I don't think that's an excuse. The album reissues option has sailed so defo think either series of boxsets or one big boxset. The Donny's would be amazing. Don't forget 2007 was meant to be released, I just don't think Maiden thought the gig was up to scratch. Watching the official footage on Sky Arts a couple of years ago looked and sounded amazing. I'm sure theres so much material they could release. Maybe they are waiting till they retire as a bit of a nest egg for them lol

I have the Maiden England-2lp and it sounds pretty good eventhough it is picture vinyl.

I would like to own ARLO, ARDO and also Live At Donington, but not sure why they still haven't happened as there would be people interested in buying brand new, pristine pressings.
I missed the original releases, and I also refuse to pay overprice for the used copies especially because Live At Donington has fragile cover.

I think it was mentioned somewhere, might have been on the Iron Maiden Fan Club Forums years ago:
Someone mentioned that when Iron Maiden changed over to Parlophone in 2012, then they had possibility to re-release the back-catalogue on the new label. But, it might have been that the rights for the 3 live-albums were somehow left to EMI (or whatever it is nowadays) so that's the reason why they still haven't been able to re-release them. Or if they have the rights now maybe it will happen and I hope to see those being released but also hope to see some other live recording or boxsets being released someday as Harris must have all the possible recordings in his vault.
Yeah the reason for the non re release of the 3 live albums does ring a bell. Maiden England isn't one ive purchased so far because it is a picture disc but if you saying the sound is pretty decent I might well purchase a copy. Maybe if only for the collection.

I have the Maiden England pic disc and played it for the first time a couple months back, and it was scratchy as fuck. Mind you this was a brand new copy and I dust every album I play prior to playing it.

That said, it could just be my copy though.

Yeah the reason for the non re release of the 3 live albums does ring a bell. Maiden England isn't one ive purchased so far because it is a picture disc but if you saying the sound is pretty decent I might well purchase a copy. Maybe if only for the collection.

I have the Maiden England pic disc and played it for the first time a couple months back, and it was scratchy as fuck. Mind you this was a brand new copy and I dust every album I play prior to playing it.

That said, it could just be my copy though.
Mine was pristine and sounds good, I got this one in my collection:

Yea it’s the exact same release I have. Might have to try getting another one to see if it’s just my copy.

Edit: https://www.discogs.com/release/4440771-Iron-Maiden-Maiden-England-88

Edit Edit: Looks like on closer inspection, mine is on a different label. Which means it could be /probably is pressed at a different plant. I’ll need to double check my copy and make sure I added the right one to my Discogs collection.

Last edited:
Vinyl isn't always better, the mastering is what matters. I'd rather a good dynamic remaster of the entire catalog and they can keep the vinyls.

Vinyl isn't always better, the mastering is what matters. I'd rather a good dynamic remaster of the entire catalog and they can keep the vinyls.
Black vinyl is most definitely the best vinyl material. Picture discs are horrible and swirls have a habit of compromising quality as well. It wasn't a "vinyl vs *insert completely different medium* argument". I think.

Other than that, indeed, although there are a couple of albums in my vinyl collection which benefits from the subtle harmonic distortion of a good and properly set up record player (although the reason I go vinyl for modern releases is because of the squashed mastering habits of digital releases. I'd rather not have to choose between that and the vinyl flaws). Original Powerslave and Number of the Beast are good examples and Powerslave in particular which I prefer over the original CD.

I would like the Maiden Japan EP rereleased. When they had the particular shirt of the remastered collection last year I was almost sure they'd rerelease it but it unfortunately didn't happen yet. Would fit perfectly into their Japanese theme they're doing atm. So maybe it will come for the Senjutsu album tour next year, I wouldn't mind. When they rerelased TNOTB even as a cassette, so why then not Maiden Japan on vinyl. They could do a lot with it IMHO. Originally it had five songs on it only, so they could release it in a gatefold cover and put some additional tracks from the recording of that night in 1981 to it, like Strange World for example. H's solo on that one is superb.

What also would be fine was a 7" rerelease from the Soundhouse Tapes. Not so much for the music on it, but to have it in my collection at least.

Last edited:
What also would be fine was a 7" rerelease from the Soundhouse Tapes. Not so much for the music on it, but to have it in my collection at least.
Not sure if they are going to release, but if they are I would like to have one. The 4 tracks released on vinyl-boxset of Best Of The Beast mastering doesn't actually sound so good..especially this was told me person who owns the real one.
One of my friends has the real original Soundhouse Tapes and I have rip of the 7", it sounds really good and the best I've ever heard.
That's the closest one it is possible to get next to real original copy.

The problem with this remaster or rerelease would be that they don't have the original master tape anymore:
However they didn't have enough readies at the time to buy the master tape, so when they did get back there they found the studio had wiped the master clean! So the demo tape which eventually made it onto vinyl was exactly the way it was recorded that 'taters New Year's Eve - and a fine testimony to Maiden's early ability that it still sounded, and indeed still sounds, so raw, cocksure and barbed wire catchy.
Is it really like this? the master was wiped..

Definitely so, they have do the mastering for each format within the limits of what can be done with each.
So to speak, I feel that for many years the industry brickwalled and ruined cd in vain, as there actually wasn't any reason to do, but luckily it has gotten a bit better towards more tolerable sound. Im in hurry writing this, but hope that you get what Im after here.

I like to have little collection of the studio and live-albums, I have all the original releases on cd and lp but also the 1998 remasters, lp-reissues and the latest 2015 editions on cd etc singles and such things. It's nice to collect stuff once in a while if I found something..

Black vinyl is most definitely the best vinyl material. Picture discs are horrible and swirls have a habit of compromising quality as well. It wasn't a "vinyl vs *insert completely different medium* argument". I think.
The 80's and 90's picture vinyl was absolutely only for the showoff. The collectors like them and so..but the sound left alot to be desired.
But sometimes, like the Maiden England'88-2lp it does indeed sound pretty good but hopefully it will someday be released on normal black vinyl.

I would like the Maiden Japan EP rereleased. When they had the particular shirt of the remastered collection last year I was almost sure they'd rerelease it but it unfortunately didn't happen yet. Would fit perfectly into their Japanese theme they're doing atm. So maybe it will come for the Senjutsu album tour next year, I wouldn't mind. When they rerelased TNOTB even as a casette, so why then not Maiden Japan on vinyl. They could do a lot with it IMHO. Originally it had five songs on it only, so they could release it in a gatefold cover and put some additional tracks from the recording of that night in 1981 to it, like Strange World for example. H's solo on that one is superb.
I think there's possibility of Maiden Japan EP or perhaps even the full, complete show getting official release someday.
And also the EP was being brought to streaming services, so Im pretty hopeful to see it somehow being released again.
There's probably lot of stuff that could be eleased, but we don't know if there will be anything coming and when.

I have an original pressing of Maiden Japan on black vinyl I got off of Discogs. Not a scratch or spec of dust on it and the record plays pristine. Beautiful live content for human ears.

Back