Best Vinyl Prints

Sonikku

Prowler
Hi everyone;

I joined this forum specifically looking for the best copies of older maiden records on vinyl to grab. I posted this on reddit a while ago but really didn't get any help.

I owned a lot of old Maiden on vinyl growing up, but it somehow disappeared "Somewhere in Time"... Sorry. Anyway, I'm old and can spend my well earned money on things and records are a priority, outside of cigars. Add while I can easily just go browse discogs.org and grab the top-ranking quality records, there's always the issue of what is the best pressing of a record. This is very, very true for say Anthrax and Rush. Finding out which pressing sounds the best is a pain in the ass. I haven't seen a listing or faq for maiden vinyl so far, or I've just not found it.

Any help is appreciated in this regard! And thanks for any direction!

Hi everyone;

I joined this forum specifically looking for the best copies of older maiden records on vinyl to grab. I posted this on reddit a while ago but really didn't get any help.

I owned a lot of old Maiden on vinyl growing up, but it somehow disappeared "Somewhere in Time"... Sorry. Anyway, I'm old and can spend my well earned money on things and records are a priority, outside of cigars. Add while I can easily just go browse discogs.org and grab the top-ranking quality records, there's always the issue of what is the best pressing of a record. This is very, very true for say Anthrax and Rush. Finding out which pressing sounds the best is a pain in the ass. I haven't seen a listing or faq for maiden vinyl so far, or I've just not found it.

Any help is appreciated in this regard! And thanks for any direction!
I have original Capitol Records pressings of Powerslave/LAD/SIT/SSOASS/NPTD, they all sound fantastic. Especially Powerslave and SSOASS, with the former having particularly nice depth and full sound. I have an original Australian pressing of the first album which sounds absolutely perfect, im sure this would be cut from the same master as the UK pressing. I have a green vinyl German pressing of Killers from..I think it sounds ok, but I generally avoid colored LPs.

I also have the Virus LP single, which has really great Soundhouse Tapes cuts on it....fantastic sound.

Hope that helps

Thanks! Yes this is a great start. I agree about colored and picture-print albums, they're more for show than sound. As much as I'd love to drop the (ouch) $800 on the recent picture disk set they put out in '13, it's too much for something that would sit on a shelf or hang on a wall.

I'd stick with the original releases as much as possible ...

Look at the link in my signature, I have a ton of Maiden vinyl, if you have specific questions about any of them, feel free to ask

Maiden on vinyl: UK originals for the first four. Different masterings than the US versions. The US pressings sound good though. The Canadian self-titled is better than the US. From Powerslave up to Seventh Son The UK/US pressings are basically the same. The US No Prayer blows, avoid. UK original is the way to go on that one. Tough finding a clean UK No Prayer because of the abrasive cardboard inner sleeve. Took me three tries before I found a NM copy. I haven't ventured into the pricey world of post-No Prayer vinyl.

Back